Setting the Compass

Started by =CfC=BlueDog, June 03, 2011, 12:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=BlueDog

So I'm steaming along in my trusty Hurry Rotol; sweating on a heading of 270.   Land on the left, sea on the right.......HANG ON!!!!!! :o :o :o.....it should be land on the right, sea on the left!!!!    Bummer.......forgot to set my compass before take-off. :-[ :-[ :-[

So, how do I do that?   See here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3271861/How_to_set_the_compass.html#Post3271861

=CfC=BlueDog

Oh and I forgot to mention, you will need to frequently check and reset your DG in flight.   The system will drift naturally in flight, but do some serious manoeuvres and it will quickly develop large errors.

Setting the compass/DG on the ground is a bit of a bugbear but reasonably easy to do - you will, of course need to move the control column so that you can see the compass to set it up.   The catch 22 whilst setting it up airborne is that you will still need to move the control column, which causes the aircraft to manoeuvre, which causes errors in the compass/DG system. :o :o   Cool, huh?   Well, with a bit of mucking about you can work around the sighting issue to some extent, but it all takes time and concentration - and you'll probably get bounced whilst distracted.

Make sure you have DG decrease, DG increase, Heading decrease and Heading increase set up in your keybindings.   Best if you can set both up on your HOTAS, but if not, make up macros for keyboards that allow (Logitech G15, 110, 510 for example) or set them up so that a single keystroke controls the function.