Track IR versus VR insight - Hat Track

Started by sadsack324, May 09, 2011, 10:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadsack324

G'day All,
              I'm in a bit of a "quandry" :-\ regarding the purchase of one of the models ( the subject of this post). I would greatly appreciate any comments, suggestions etc on which of the two works best in IL2 1946 for the time being ;) and comments/ suggestions for CoD and any other info and opinions with regard to both. :) I look forward to hearing from those who have experience in this area. I'm currently running a 64bit Win 7 O/S with a 5700 series ATI graphics card. I may need to purchase a better graphics card at some stage in the future ( when I'm rich!!!!!!! ;D)

Look forward to any input,

Cheers,

SadSack. :-\

PS: Thanks to "Bluey" I now have IL21946 patched up to 4.10.1
       Many thanks "Blue Dog"!

John Cartwright

Can't rate TrackIR highly enough....don't know the other thingummy.
Well worth the money. Most chaps would not be without it as an absolute necessity for multiplayer shenannigans.
I'm a complete dunce in the world of computing, so if I can get the thing to work, anyone can!
Buy it mate, you won't regret it.
Card-wise, think you is o.k. for IL2, Cod not worth addressing until it is patched up to a reasonably playable sim.
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

5./JG27Farber

Ive got nearly the same set up sadsack...

If your as competative as I think you are...  You bloody need this!

Enough said.
Black 1
Rudolf Farber

sadsack324

Quote from: BalDaddy on May 09, 2011, 11:38:14 AM
Can't rate TrackIR highly enough....don't know the other thingummy.
Well worth the money. Most chaps would not be without it as an absolute necessity for multiplayer shenannigans.
I'm a complete dunce in the world of computing, so if I can get the thing to work, anyone can!
Buy it mate, you won't regret it.
Card-wise, think you is o.k. for IL2, Cod not worth addressing until it is patched up to a reasonably playable sim.
Many Thanks for that valuable info "old chap" ;) I was sort of headed that way but wasn't sure. :-\ I haven't bought CoD as yet, just waiting for all the bugs to get ironed out. :-\

Cheers and Thanks,

sadsack. ;)

sadsack324

Quote from: 5./JG27Farber on May 09, 2011, 11:41:38 AM
Ive got nearly the same set up sadsack...

If your as competative as I think you are...  You bloody need this!

Enough said.
Yeagh, Thanks Farber. ;) I feel I may need the added advantage when dealing with such accomplished aviators as yourself and your fellow members! ;D

Thanks or is it dunkershen? :-\

Cheers,

sadsack

=CfC=BlueDog

SS, in my opinion, a headtracker is a must have - particularly in your case with your hand problem.   I have TrackIR5 and wouldn't be without it.   Takes a bit of getting used to, but after a while it becomes second nature.    And then there's all the keyboard keys you can free up for other settings.

Some of the guys (Father Ted and Fitz?) use Free Track.   Whereas your outlay for a new TrackIR will be about $230, all you need for Free Track (as I understand) is a web cam - which you already have.   

Any comments from FT or Fitz?

sadsack324

Quote from: =CfC=BlueDog on May 09, 2011, 12:38:17 PM
SS, in my opinion, a headtracker is a must have - particularly in your case with your hand problem.   I have TrackIR5 and wouldn't be without it.   Takes a bit of getting used to, but after a while it becomes second nature.    And then there's all the keyboard keys you can free up for other settings.

Some of the guys (Father Ted and Fitz?) use Free Track.   Whereas your outlay for a new TrackIR will be about $230, all you need for Free Track (as I understand) is a web cam - which you already have.   

Any comments from FT or Fitz?

G'day Cobber,
                                  I have to say I'm a "tad" confused about this "track IR" stuff. ??? I thought I had it worked out ( roughly) ;D then you mentioned my webcam? :-\ Am I to conclude that the webcam has something to do with the "track IR"????? :-\

Cheers,

sadsack.

=CfC=BlueDog

=CfC=Father Ted

Hi Sadsack - been meaning to say hello for a while but can't keep up with your postings!

Basically the head-tracking we use relies on software which analyses the movement of infra red (hence IR) lights (LEDs) mounted on your head.  It does this by means of an infra red camera.  When you buy TrackIR you get the software, the LEDs in a "clip" which attaches to your headset and a modified webcam.  With Freetrack you download a free piece of software and make your own LED mounting.  Your webcam has to be modified (and compatible)  This is easy to do - though it makes it useless as a webcam for Skype or whatever.  Making the clip involves wiring up the LEDs to a power supply (batteries or USB) and mounting them in a set configuration.  All the components are very cheap - even buying another webcam would make the whole thing about a tenth the cost of TrackIR.

I have to say I "cheated" and bought the "professional" clip from Natural Point - £30 here.  The Freetrack software is a little less user-friendly than the TIR stuff, but once you've fiddled around with the settings I don't see how the commercial system could be any better

As the others have said it does make a big difference in game

Ted

Gizmo

TIR4 here, never had a problem with it, worked straight out of the box, love it and wouldn't be with it.

If you can afford it then go for it, may be able to get one cheaper on ebay.

=CfC=Fitz

I don't really have much to add on what Ted has said really. For the cost of a TrackIR headclip (£25) and a cheap webcam (mine is a £5 labtec job) I can't see how the official TrackIR is any better than Freetrack.

pip pip,

Fitz

=CfC=BlueDog

Father Ted 's idea of using the TrackIR track clip pro for the leds is a good idea.   About $60.   Just Google for online purchase. 

My view (for what it's worth): If you want something that works straight out of the box and can afford it, go for the TrackIR5.   If you're scratching (and who isn't); and are a bit handy with setting things up get yourself another webcam and the trackclip pro.

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: =CfC=BlueDog on May 09, 2011, 10:35:54 PM
and are a bit handy with setting things up get yourself another webcam and the trackclip pro.

...if I can manage that, anyone can ;)

Ted

CFC_Conky

Bit of a Luddite here, the hat switch rules Conky's roost (and gets him shot down a lot  :D)

The voice recognition feature with the VR Insight thingie is interesting but probably of somewhat limited use when on comms. I can see it now: "... bail out Bounder,  oh shit!"...now there are two of us floating down :D :D :D

While we're on the subject, does TIR take up a controller slot in IL2?

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=BlueDog

QuoteBit of a Luddite here, the hat switch rules Conky's roost (and gets him shot down a lot

SadSack, you should be aware that Conky is an airline pilot so he doesn't look out the window very much.   Also, his Company has modified all their aircraft to incorporate a hat switch on the control column.   Electrical leads go from the hat switch to a USB connector on Conky's seat.   Conky is wired up so that his head can be connected internally to the USB connecter via the total digestive system.   A tad uncomfortable at times, but effective.   Conky can then use the hatswitch to control head movements for the odd occasions when he needs to look outside.   Sorry Conky, your secret is out! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

QuoteWhile we're on the subject, does TIR take up a controller slot in IL2

Nope, as long as you have a spare USB slot (on your computer, that is), you're in business.