BOM Deal

Started by =CfC=BlueDog, February 18, 2017, 10:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=BlueDog

How's BOM shaping up?   The IL-2 team are offering a 40% (off) deal, so even though I haven't indulged in flight sims for several years, I'm sorely tempted!

=CfC=BlueDog

Has anyone got it?  If so, is it worth getting (in your opinion, of course).

=CfC= Ax

Was going to ask the same question, before the coupon expires.

=CfC=Father Ted

Sorry for the lack of response Bluey - I do have BoS/BoM/BoK, but have played so little that I'm not sure I could offer useful insight.  It's definitely a looker and has the RoF feel of flight.  Flying is "harder" than IL2 46 - whether it's more realistic or not I don't know.  In short, I think the sim part is pretty decent - just not sure about the game part.  Of us all who have the game, I think only Conky has flown online, so hopefully he'll chime in.

I basically got it as an "investment" in keeping the genre moving forward.

CFC_Conky

Hello all,

In a nutshell, the whole BoX series is most definitely worth it. The flight modes are an order of magnitude more realistic than those in the old IL2, although they are certainly manageable. What is lacking at the moment is content. The selection of aircraft is improving but is quite spartan compared to what we're used to. The offline camapaign has been much maligned but I enjoy it and they developers will be introducing a new offline campaign system in the near future. The mission builder is very complicated compared to the one in the 'old' IL2 but some player-made missions/campaigns are available with more on the way. A definite must is PatWilson's Campaign Generator (PWCG), which is basically an automated mission generator which has a lot of adjustable features and at the moment is the closest thing to a dynamic campaign. On the plus side, there are a lot of user-made skins available.

This is the future of WW2 flight simulation Chaps, we should all get on board  ;D.

I'll be more than happy to help you out when it gets to your hard drives  8)

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

cjd-2010

Just bought BoM Premier Edition for half price tonight (https://il2sturmovik.com) with the help off a couple drams of single malt!

Was this a good idea or should I have kept the padlock on the wallet?

Regards Chris.
Fly Navy.Sail Army.Walk Sideways

=CfC=Father Ted

Definitely a good idea Chris.  As Conky says, this seems to be the future of WW2 combat flightsims.  We were a bit burned by it a year or so ago, but the devs have kept on refining the FMs, so it is now very approachable.  What I would say is set aside some time and patience for assigning the controls.  I was lucky in that I was au fait with RoF (of which BoX is a direct descendent), but it is a different process to that which you might be used to.  I'm happy to help as much as I'm able (not that much) on TS next time we're on together.  Also interested to discuss single malts...

cjd-2010

I have RoF as well,but the settings looked daunting so I only made a half assed
attempt at. I like the graphics of RoF and “flying” biplanes appealed to me but
my computer wasn’t up to it then.I’ve upgraded now,so when I saw BoM half
price took the chance. Looks good,I have to get a better graphics card though,
so if this is the future I better get with the programme!

Enough rambling! Any advice Ted,will be greatly accepted.

Regards,Chris
Fly Navy.Sail Army.Walk Sideways

CFC_Conky

1C is now selling their new expansion pack in the series, ‘Operation Bodenplatte’. It will have a ton of late-war aircraft and should be released sometime in 2018. I’ve pre-ordered it.

They are also coming out with a WW1 sim called, what else, ‘Flying Circus’.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

The Bodenplatte thing will be good for those of us who hanker for a modern sim set in the west during late WW2.  Funds permitting, I'll prolly pre-order too.   The Flying Circus thing is more perplexing.  By all accounts it should be "better" than RoF, but it could divide that already small audience...

=CfC=Bounder

Interesting TS question and answer session with developers here:-

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,57272.0.html

Seems Circus could be out in 2018 as a lot imported from ROF........but Bodenplatte not fully ready until 2019

A long road but promising.

Bonder