CLOD

Started by Minky, March 15, 2016, 01:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minky

I am soooooo frustrated with Steam I could spit. I purchased 3 versions of CLOD and none of these works. Even though I went through all the steps, Steam won't let me spawn the game (yes I have an account with them). I am very interested in exploring CLOD, so my question is: "Is there a NON STEAM edition available anywhere?  I don't care if I have to order it from the planet Mars (or bootleg?). lol
Cheers,
Minky

=CfC=Fitz

Hi Minky,

I've never had a problem with Steam myself, in fact I wish it had stopped my from launching CLOD and learning the real meaning of dissapointment. If you've played less than two hours you should be able to get a refund. I wish I could....

pip pip,

Fitz

p.s you might want to try Rise of Flight or Battle of Stalingrad instead as they actually work and are quite good apparently.

CFC_Conky

Quote from: =CfC=Fitz on March 15, 2016, 02:08:10 PM
Hi Minky,

I've never had a problem with Steam myself, in fact I wish it had stopped my from launching CLOD and learning the real meaning of dissapointment. If you've played less than two hours you should be able to get a refund. I wish I could....

pip pip,

Fitz

p.s you might want to try Rise of Flight or Battle of Stalingrad instead as they actually work and are quite good apparently.

Hi Minky,

I agree with Fitz on this, I can get CloD to work, but only after downloading the Team Fusion patches. It's not the worst sim out here but I would also suggest you try out Rise of Flight and IL2 Battle of Stalingrad/Battle of Moscow (will be released soonish). They offer better visuals and a better sense of flight. It will take a while to get comfortable with them but it's worth it.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Minky

I appreciate all the advice. Question: Will CFC fly either or both BOS and ROF?
Thanks,
Minky

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: Minky on March 15, 2016, 03:27:02 PM
I appreciate all the advice. Question: Will CFC fly either or both BOS and ROF?
Thanks,
Minky

As CFC, Conky and I are currently quite active Roffers and others have been so in the past.  Recently some of us have also started experimenting with BoS MP.  However, as a group, we haven't yet made the jump away from IL2 46.

As a side bar, I'd highly recommend RoF.  Mainly this is because you can download the full game for free (3 planes to try and access to MP) and then buy other planes incrementally.  Obviously it's not WW2 and so a slightly different kettle of fish.  If you've not seen a flight sim since IL2 46 you'll be gob-smacked by the visuals and the sense of flight, though.  The same holds for BoS, but you have to buy the whole game up-front.

I would try for a Steam refund on CloD.  I have it, and it does work (with TF patches), but if it won't run then cut your losses.  If you can get it elsewhere it's worth doing as it is a good sim.  Difficulty is it's getting old now and had such a problematic launch that I doubt many places stock it (that said I just found it on Amazon UK)

Minky

I, very much like the idea of ROF, however, trying to download it is neigh to impossible. It is exceedingly slow and the download keeps being "interrupted" numerous times. I am not adverse to purchasing a copy, the dilemma is which one, I believe that there are three versions on the market. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Minky

=CfC=Father Ted

Not sure about your D/L probs - how is your internet generally?  To a degree it does not matter which disk you buy (Aces, Channel Battles etc) as you can then buy any additional planes you want from the 777 web-store.  I believe that the games works by installing the full content on your HDD and then unlocking bits of it when you buy them.  So if you install the game and then decide to buy, say, a Bristol Fighter, then you don't have to D/L it separately.

The only thing against buying a disk is that I'm pretty sure you'll still have to D/L more recent content anyway.

If you're happy to use Steam, then you can do it that way (including the FTP version).  The Steam version is fully compatible with non-Steam in terms of MP.  You have to bear in mind that Steam and non-Steam won't mix for your account though.  This is not  a huge problem - the only issue IMO is that Steam does not let you buy with the same flexibility as you can from the 777 store.

One final thing to be aware of is that if you don't have the Channel map, you won't be able to join any MP missions which run it.  Not a massive issue as most server hosts are aware of this and it is not commonly used.

Minky

Thanks for the valuable advice. I proceeded to order a copy of ROF Channel edition from Amazon (they had a sale @50% off list). Anyway, I've been practicing my flying acumen on single player, and.........boy am I rusty! Managed to get a couple kills flying the Buffalo of all planes with the NL. When flying the Hurricane with the RAF I found out how rusty I've become!  Incidentally I use DSL Hi_speed and, on balance, I haven't any major problems (yet).
Cheers,
Minky

CFC_Conky

Hi Minky,

Another thing about CloD, engine management is a lot more annoying than in other sims, even Battle of Stalingrad. I was constantly damaging my engine, and while this may be realistic, I think it is a little over the top given the limitations of 'flying' through a two-dimensional monitor without the benefit of better sensory inputs like sound/touch/feel of vibration/smell, etc.

I used to find IL2: 1946 engine management complicated but in reality it's dead simple. Battle of Stalingrad introduces more complexity but it is still not enough to annoy.

You also have to be careful in RoF and you will wreck a number of engines in the beginning, but after a few missions you'll be an expert.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Minky

I just love this forum, the interactions are super, responses to my concerns are sooooooo timely. In light of my frustration in trying to put CLOD on my computer, my  issues with Steam might prove a blessing in disguise. Just a quick update: ROF has been shipped and I am looking forward to trying it out. I am also looking at BOS but I haven't found one that has been priced at a reasonable cost, I did find some offerings from the UK that are very attractive. My concern: Will they be compatible with the US systems?  Due to the time differential between the UK and the US, what would be the best time for me to catch any of you gents on TS?
Again, my gratitude for all of the invaluable advice.
Cheers,
Minky

=CfC=Father Ted

I can't see why BoS discs from the UK would be incompatible with a US PC, but I can't be absolutely certain.  Anyway, what you gain in discount you may lose in shipping and taxes, so I'd check whether it's worth the (minimal) risk

A word of warning about RoF (and BoS for that matter): you have to log in to play.  It's basically 777's anti-piracy mechanism.  I don't find it a problem, but it is there.  Which leads me on to the next thing.  When you set up your account, think carefully about the name you wish to use since you can't easily change it.

For TS we're usually on between 1930 - 2200 GMT (though that will change to 2030 - 2300 from March 27).  Our usual days are Tue, Thur and Sun. You can see if anybody's on via the widget near the bottom of the forum's main screen.

CFC_Conky

Hey Minky,

That's 12:30pm to 3:00 pm for us West Coasters  8)

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC=Woof

Hey, Minsky...I live on Miami Beach and have no trouble with BOS through Steam.  Easier than getting a CD from the UK...

I'v got deja vue all over me...

Minky

The sordid Steam saga goes on and on. Whilst in a charitable frame of mind I gave Steam another opportunity to redeem itself. After I downloaded Steam (took forever) and CLOD (which took an eternity) and even the latest update, the game is still conspicuous by its absence! After I click on the desk top icon, a promising message appears on the screen asking me if would allow the program to make changes to my computer. As you may have guessed it, eagerly and full of anticipation I responded in the affirmative. Alas, the same scenario follows. After a few furtive attempts the program quits and disappears from my screen. Am I just  unlucky or cursed? If anyone suffered the same fate and somehow was able to overcome this dilemma, share it with and give me some clues as to the solution, will ya? I'll be forever indebted to my CLOD savior(s).
BTW, all this transpires while I am dully signed in onto Steam on my account.

Cheers.
Minky.

John Cartwright

Belated greetings sir; I've been fossil hunting on the 'Jurassic Coast' here in England.
I am technically somewhat challenged so am unable to help with your travails Clod-wise.
May I suggest you post your rig's specs here, might give a clue to what's up.
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940