Win 10 for IL2?

Started by =CfC=Woof, November 06, 2015, 03:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Woof

Anyone tried it yet?  Comments?

I'v got deja vue all over me...

=CfC=Bounder

Not tried it Woof but there is quite a lot about it on the forums (various).

The problem seems to be with drivers for ancillary gear like joysticks. For example I know it is an issue with my X52 drivers at the moment. Some company's are slow to provide support.

I think you have a CH stick so if you Google CH and windows 10 you will probably find out. I don't know about TR/IR.

To be honest, I'm not touching my system while the bloody thing is working!

Bounder :-\

=CfC=Woof

Thanks, Bounder.  I checked a few forums, but nothing conclusive.  Just curious.

=CfC=BlueDog

So....... plugged in the CH Fighterstick, CH Prothrottle, Saitek rudder pedals, TrackIR5, then loaded IL2.   Got the main screen and moved my mouse to select QMB.   "Oi, where's me bluddy little arrow?" I fume "Bluddy Microsoft poofters have stolen it!"

Can't select exit (because there's no little arrow) so had to fernangle my way out of IL2 some other way.

Restarted computer, went to the forums and found that if the display size is anything other than 100%, the bluddy Microsoft poofters will steal your little arrow.

Yes, I did have my display size up at 125% so my age-weakened eyes could read stuff on the screen.

Reset the display size to 100%, loaded IL2 and behold, there it was, my little arrow.   "Ha!" I cry "I've made those bluddy MS poofters give me back my little arrow.   That's a win for the BlueDog!

And yes, all the gear worked OK without further incident. 

=CfC=Bounder

That's very encouraging Bluey........I will research further the X52 issues before I finally give way!

Good luck Woof if you try it......may The Force be with you!

Please keep us posted.

=CfC=Father Ted

I suspect it'll be like a lot of these things - for a lot of people it'll be fine and for a few it'll be horrible.  If it's horrible for you, then other people saying they don't have a problem is not very helpful (see my replies to Bounder a couple of threads back).  As alluded to already the big issue for us simmers is more likely to be our niche hardware than the games themselves.

And I'm with Bounder - as it's all working I don't want to change anything!

=CfC=Bounder

I have been on the Saitek website and they do have a Windows 10 Beta driver for the X52 but still with issues.

As you say Ted, it depends on your personal circumstances.....many people (on the forums) have the X52 working fine with Windows 10 but they are the ones that do not use the programming software that makes the X52 so useful in being able to draw up a profile to work with several sims. You can just use it without any software and it will do the basics but this really defeats the whole object of the design.

I'm hoping that these issues will be resolved before the time limit on free upgrading to Windows 10. Unfortunately since MadCatz took over Saitek the support has deteriorated very considerably.

I look forward to hearing when Fitz makes the leap to 10 so that we can all chew on his experience!

=CfC=Fitz

Hi Bounder,

I did run it on my music machine and it was great, but it was a driver issue that made me roll back. Everything apart from my main audio interface worked fine (and in fact most of it ran much faster or smoother than on 7) but sadly I can't run it without my audio interface so back to 7 I went. As soon as the driver is out I'm switching back though.

Also as an aside, it's just a couple of button clicks to switch back to 7 so it's worth installing it and checking what works and what doesn't. If anything is a deal breaker, hit the revert to 7 button and back you go. Didn't take long to either install or revert, much faster than any previous install.

I'm saving installing it on my main machine as I need to do some upgrading and replacing of hard drives, I'll do a clean install once I can afford all the bits I need.

Fitz

=CfC=BlueDog

Well it hasn't changed my life a whole lot but I rather like it.   Thought about reverting to Win 7 for about a fempto-second before deciding to stick with 10.

=CfC=Bounder

Installed it in my laptop but it managed to remove all the Samsung built in software so lost all use of function keys, volume control etc. This was after a clean install as I'm giving my laptop to my sister.....it did say it would keep all original apps that came with it from new.....I can hear them at Microsoft saying "got ye".......keep the industry going and buy a new machine!

Re-installed software from Samsung support but still have no control of brightness....a bug that has also affected those that installed Windows 8 over 7 which it came with.

It does seem faster except for the new browser which locks up until the whole page loads....probably would not notice it in a heavy metal machine but it has been reported and Microsoft are working to remedy it. I downloaded Chrome and that works well.

I don't like the "Settings" page and it took me a long time to find that you can still open "Control Panel" and find all the things that you had in Windows 7 (Right click on the "Start" button)

Why on earth they cannot keep things even vaguely the same I cannot understand.....it is totally different ....I appreciate the slickness but such a huge change in presentation seems so unnecessary......my personal view!

No way will I install it on my PC until Saitek and others have got rid of the driver bugs.

Bounder  :o :-\

=CfC=Woof

Thanks for the info, guys.  I'm tempted, I'm tempted, but probably only because I'm bored.

=CfC=Woof

I'm running an Nvidia gtx 760 331.82 and I see on many forums that Win 10 is not compatible with GTX 760 etc.  These are all dated back in JUly/August.  Anyone know if this problem has been solved?  Win 10 tells me my rig is fully compatible for the upgrade, but does this include cards etc?

=CfC=Fitz

Hi Woof,

That just relates to the pre-release version, there have been plenty of win10 Nvidia drivers released since then so you should be fine.

=CfC=Woof

Thanks, Fitz.  I'ma, gulp, gonna do it...I think, phew, sweat...

=CfC=Bounder

Good luck  Woof!
I have had a  torrid time after accidentally engaging Parental  Controls on a new tablet running Android. Now my PC and other half 's PC are suffering automatic reversion to a fixed DNS which knocks them  offline.
Interestingly I can still use  TS and  hyperlobby.
This is an issue BT have had  for over a year (unable to switch off P Controls) I am not optimistic about them fixing it. Third day of calls to tech support and no sign of a fix.