Tex Compression for Nocke

Started by =CfC=Fitz, November 23, 2014, 09:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Fitz

It is I'm afraid a well known issue with a large mission on the Channel Map. The original prog. did not allow for the loading of such a large file and so texture compression is used to enable a map load.

What is strange is that it did not happen to any of us when we first downloaded UP 2.01, but over time it has affected Joel, Doc and myself...and now you.

It is a very easy fix and is only required for your UP 2.01 "conf.ini" file.

Below are the entries of my own "conf.ini" file and I have highlighted in Red the two entries that need to be changed in the "OpenGL" section.

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=2
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

Having saved these changes, you can test the mission we flew tonight by loading it from the Dropbox.

It is in my mission folder for UP 2.01 and is called:-

Channel40Fr_MDS113_DF01RBBeta_UP201

You will need to save it in your "Missions/Net/Dogfight section in a folder of your choice.
To fly you need to select Multiplayer and "create a server", dogfight and then find the mission.

Hope it helps
Cheers

=CfC=Father Ted

Just to be sure, Nocke, Fitz has posted Bounder's answer to this problem from a while back - that's why there are references to UP2.01 - but it is still relevant to UP3.0 RC4

Nocke

the world of computer programs is just magic .... and I know it ....

Next time I get those problems with UP4 I will switch texture compression on.

A little reluctant, though, after spending money to get 4GB of RAM on my graphics card  ;)

....which is just ******************* for someone who was lost some 30 years ago on his first 20 MB hard disk due to the shear unimaginable amount of space on that thing .....

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: Nocke on November 23, 2014, 10:43:40 PM
the world of computer programs is just magic .... and I know it ....

Next time I get those problems with UP4 I will switch texture compression on.

A little reluctant, though, after spending money to get 4GB of RAM on my graphics card  ;)

You just have to make that one adjustment and leave it.  The change will not affect anything else.

=CfC=Fitz

I can't say that I have noticed it makes any difference to how the textures appear on screen. I think it is more a limitation of the IL2 program. The map itself is a modded map and I think IL2 has difficulty processing it without tex compression on.

NB It is a very pretty map!