Using the 190

Started by =CfC=Father Ted, October 11, 2013, 09:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Father Ted

Found this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df5_N5WTlNw and thought it might be useful.  I'm sure most of you already knew about this tactic (or do it instinctively), but I'm hoping it might make me happier in BnZ kites.

=CfC=Bounder

Very interesting Ted. I wonder if it will work?

Bounder ;D

=CfC=Fitz

It does, it's what I do all the time and why I always get at Ted for turning in front of me :)

=CfC= Ax

Ted, this is the kind schnitzel that I'm looking for. 8)

=CfC=Bounder

Quote from: =CfC=Fitz on October 11, 2013, 07:43:42 PM
It does, it's what I do all the time and why I always get at Ted for turning in front of me :)

Hmmmm.......so if you are Ted.......what is the answer.....don't turn.....don't run away as the 190 is faster.....I'm baffled!

Bounder :-\

=CfC=Father Ted

NOw you see why I'm always getting shot down - no chance!  Actually, I'm guessing what he means is don't turn just in the horizontal as that requires no extra adjustment from the pursuing 190.

=CfC=BlueDog

Quote..what is the answer..

Simple........respawn! ;D

=CfC=Fitz

To be honest I was being a little facetious here, but there are two main points:

1. In the case of the 190 bounce in the video, jinking is more effective than a sustained turn. If I know where you are going to be in a few seconds time, it makes it much easier to cut the turn.

2. As I often tell Ted, if you are scissoring against something that doesn't turn as well, reversing the turn often simply drops you straight back into your pursuers gunsight. Sometimes a sustained turn is the right solution....

Enjoy the contradictory advice :)

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: =CfC=Fitz on October 12, 2013, 12:44:58 PM
As I often tell Ted, if you are scissoring against something that doesn't turn as well, reversing the turn often simply drops you straight back into your pursuers gunsight. Sometimes a sustained turn is the right solution....

...and this is what marks out those who going to be most successful at this hobby - recognizing the right solution.  I tend to have a repertoire of attacking and defensive ACM which I trot out without necessarily paying attention to the detail of the situation.  Part of the reason for this is a less-than-stellar innate ability to maintain an awareness of the  spatial relationship of the aircraft, part of it is a lack of knowledge about the planes' performances, and part is just laziness - not bothering to concentrate.

This isn't special pleading, just an objective view about something I find very interesting - why some are better than others at this stuff.

=CfC=Bounder

Having tried HSFX 7 with the revised AI behaviour, you can probably get a lot more practise especially if you select them as Ace.

The FM's of some of the a/c seem fairly drastically changed. I have got two of our DF maps up to HSFX standard now (Old Desert and Marianas). In trying to experiment with the new variants (those with a * next to them) it should make for some interesting new matches.

So far, I have enabled "Perfect map textures" and the "Carrier TO Mod" (provides catapults) in the selections provided in JSGME and all seems to work OK but a lot of work to get the missions sorted from UP. I think UP has the edge on visuals and effects. Finding AA to strike at seems very difficult with hardly any tracer or gun flashes.

I say Ted......"Part of the reason for this is a less-than-stellar innate ability to maintain an awareness of the  spatial relationship of the aircraft"......is that a long way of saying "lack of situational awareness" or have you been reading Shakespeare?

I think I will continue to push and pull, crash and die....but always with a smile!

Bounder ;D

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: =CfC=Bounder on October 12, 2013, 08:57:22 PM

I say Ted......"Part of the reason for this is a less-than-stellar innate ability to maintain an awareness of the  spatial relationship of the aircraft"......is that a long way of saying "lack of situational awareness" ...?

Of course you're right Bounder, but I guess that for me it's good to spell things out every so often.

As for converting DF maps, I really wasn't expecting/hoping that we would adopt HSFX - as I said before, for me it was about HL.  Ironically, it seems that so far all the servers I've looked at have stuck with HSFX6

CFC_Conky

The nice thing about the 190 is that the inner wing cannon are close enough to the fuselage that you can use a convergence setting of 400m and if you can hit at ranges from 300-400m, it is a very deadly kite. It turns well if it's going fast, say 400 km/h otherwise it's not that hard to get out of it's way if you turn sharply. You have to be careful in a scissors; the 190 has a very fast roll rate which will help keep it in position.

The fm for it in 4.11 and later is much improved over what we have in UP3, it is much more agile but somewhat difficult to slow down in the landing pattern. I wish we had some of the waypoint features available in 4.12. Being able to assign a patrol waypoint would cut down on ai placement time considerably.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Bounder

Conky.....re. the waypoint feature....I have not had a chance to use that yet but was disappointed to see that the "Command and Control Mod" has been dropped from HSFX7 and the  feature to remove AI from a corner of the map has now been removed.

I wish these chaps who update these packs would do some mission building and see the chaos they cause when they  change things so dramatically.
To be fair, the author of the Command and Control Mod (CheckU6....or something like that) has not upgraded his mod to 4.12 so this is given as the reason.

When all Chaps have got HSFX7, do post and we can give it a spin.....but my preference is still UP3 though the AI must surely be upgraded to at least 4.11.

The new FM for the FW190 is much better. A few months ago, I did a review of the deceleration characteristics of the the new 4.11 FM which you can see here:-

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=484729&postcount=153

By using manual pitch you can considerably cut down on deceleration time....but beware about using MP in any other flight regime as it is very difficult to keep within the engine limitations.

I just wish I had the eyes to see a/c below me and be able to B & Z without which the 190 is of no value!

Bounder ???

Edit:-

Just saw this post on Warbirds:-

HSFX H 7 History mod fixes the FW-190 energy retention problem, so expert mode isn't necessaritly NEEDED.  No more 3 mile coast in finals!  Now I have a chance to force overshoots again!