Surely it's not last orders?

Started by =CfC= Ax, August 09, 2013, 12:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC= Ax

Evening chaps, Fitz led me to believe this was the place for a quaff of the good stuff? Rotten service and lousy ale at the last club, ol' Johnnie was lest best pleased I can tell you!

The long and the short, well, where do I start? As an avid fan of DCSW and particularly the Flaming Cliffs franchise, I have decided to reach out and expand my horizons. Heinous I know, but I have never entertained the idea of being behind the stick of an old WWII aircraft, not until very recently that is. Maybe 10 plus years too late, but having fired up IL-2 1946, tweaked the GFX a little and flown a few on / offline missions with extremely little or no comprehension of the virtual time machine I had just embroiled myself in.. all I can say it's, rather spiffing, splendid, glorious, I want more!

Now herein lies the problem. I'm a very active member of a DCSW / FC squad and thoroughly enjoy the experience and benefits that brings. Most of all, I love the camaraderie and passion that is highly evident amongst the like minded folk within this niche hobby of ours. So, it's with a heavy heart that I currently find myself unable to commit to a CfC application, although I would certainly like to be considered, if possible, for the occasional flight with you chaps as when the opportunity arises?

As mentioned, I have very little experience (a few hours) within this sim but would love to learn more with an alley of like minded merrymakers!

~S~

Ax

=CfC=Bounder

Welcome Axion,

We are a very easy going bunch here at CfC....in general we just suit ourselves with all having RL events that govern our ability to fly online so there is absolutely no requirement to fly more than whatever you wish......fill your boots.......join us whenever suits.

You will need to get your installation to UP3 RC4 which is what we fly online. The UltraPack website is currently down for maintenance, but there is info. here:-

http://www.warbirdsofprey.org/index.php?topic=9984.0

More info here:-

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,186.0.html?PHPSESSID=3fa2c94dda6be7e330e0c6446301cda7

If you have problems with any of this, jut post here and we will endeavour to help.

We currently have a server operational three nights a week......Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday. Due to our fearless leader having tech. problems with his machine, the server details are published by 6pm each evening (I have a dynamic IP address). Server is usually available from 1930 BST

Teamspeak login is also published in the "Comms" thread....so all you have to do is get your install to UP3RC4 and join in.....we hope to see you whenever you want to come along and we will help in whatever way we can.

Bounder ;D

=CfC=Fitz

Hi Bounder

I can't seem to change his forum permissions from my phone so he doesn't have access to the comms or server details boards.

Can someone please PM Axion with the TS details and then at least he can check the server ip when he gets on.

Ta

Fitz

=CfC=Father Ted

=CfC= Ax

Thank you gentlemen, I now have the necessary details. As explained to the right honourable Father Ted, I will be in touch shortly once my install is up to the correct standard.

Regards and good hunting.

John Cartwright

Hope you will be able to join us in a prang old chap. Don't let the buffoonery and banter here fool you; they are a handy bunch of chaps to scrap with, split arse and tasty in the virtual skies what?
Conky comes up with some excellent campaigns and Bounder some superb missions also which tend to be flown on Thursday and Sunday evenings if numbers due to summer suffice. Tuesday is a general scrap with blood and hair (except mine, having none) all over the place with no quarter asked or given. Dive in, you won't regret it! :)
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

CFC_Conky

Huzzah! Fresh meat! Fresh meat!

....Errrrrr, ummmmm, rather, welcome aboard Axion!

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC= Ax

Absolutely gents, as soon as the UP site peers out  from hibernation, I will be there.

As for being the 'dish of the day', that unfortunately, is a foregone conclusion. My derrière is often handed to me on a platter during these DF server missions, it's just not cricket!

So, in the meantime whilst I await the baptism of fire, what aircraft should I be cutting my teeth into? The choice and variations seems quite bewildering to a novice and I'm not sure where to start.

A few more questions if you don't mind?

- Currently using a Warthog HOTAS but have a MS Sidewinder FFB gathering dust in the loft, is it worth recommissioning the old boy? Does IL-2 take advantage of such HW?

- Multiple IL-2 installs. It seems there are three main variations of IL-2?

1) The most recent unmodded release.

2) 4.10.1 + UP - The one you guys run.

3) Some version inc HSFX.

Is it possible to have all three installs to cater for all occasions?

Thank you Gentlemen,

Ax

John Cartwright

UP site is running again, though location of downloads of v3.0 obscure. Try this link:
http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=4

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: Axion on August 12, 2013, 12:05:05 AM

So, in the meantime whilst I await the baptism of fire, what aircraft should I be cutting my teeth into? The choice and variations seems quite bewildering to a novice and I'm not sure where to start.

That's quite a tricky one:  yesterday we were mucking about in 1930s biplanes, but two weeks ago we had a try at Sabres v Migs in Korea.  However, I suppose our "staple" human v human DF maps are mid-war Europe/N Africa.  This generally means that the "reds" have P40Ms and Spit Vs, whereas the "blues" have F model 109s, early 190s and sundry Italian kites.  There are also usually twins available to have a go at (as it were).

If you're going to practise, bear in mind that we fly "full switch" - so get used to engine management and not having icons on.

I have two separate installs (4,12 and UP3.0) accessed through different shortcuts.  Maybe not very elegant, but it works.

The Warthog should be more than adequate.  As far as I know none of us uses a FFB stick, but I believe that IL2 supports the feature.  Look after that Sidewinder though - they're highly valued in the RoF community.

John Cartwright

Concur with his Holy Tedness, use the Warthog, you can never have enough buttons, sliders rotary thingummies.
Sell the Sidewinder on Ebay to fund TrackIR if you haven't got it :)

CFC_Conky

Real men use a hat switch to look around Axion, not some teletubby-widget on one's head.

Real men also get shot down and/or run into the ground a lot... ;D

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Bounder

Dear oh dear.....confusion!

No....just a very warm welcome Axion......if you give us some notice (a day will do) we will put up a server with the a/c set you are most familiar with and take it from there.....so as I said...fill your boots!

I have a thing called a "sadstick" that functions in the usual way....pull to make the houses get smaller...push to make them bigger...everything else requires changing my glasses to see the keys and the inevitable stall or spin follows.....so you see you can come along with any electrical gizmo that you have and still have fun at CfC.

Look forward to hearing which machines you would like to try.

Bounder ;D

=CfC= Ax

Thank you BalDaddy, the link worked just fine.  8)

You could say I'm in bit of a pickle at the moment. The situation is thus - I'm moving house next week and the advance party have already made off with some supplies, including my gaming rig.

Over the last few days I've attempted to play IL-2 on a pretty old machine, albeit running Win 7 x64. My experience has been mixed to say the least, with the main problem being mouse cursor fixation within the non respondent GUI. A few minutes of Alt - Tabbing normally sorts this issue but not all the time.

The other problem I have encountered is widescreen (1920x1200) support within UP3 RC4, it really does not play ball. Normally a quick conf.ini edit sorts this, but for some reason UP3 is ignoring those edited settings? If I add widescreen support (included with UP3) via the JSGME then the game version is altered and is no longer compatible with online servers running UP3 RC4.

So gents, I may delay my online activities for a week, that is until I'm firmly and comfortably strapped within my familiar pit back at HQ.

Hope you understand.

Apologies for the long winded post and greater apologies for not posting up in the 'Tech Support' section.

Oh.. Conky, have one of those fandangled head widget things and I wouldn't fly without it. ;D

Regards,

Ax

CFC_Conky

Hi Axion,

Does your conf.ini file remember your custom video settings? I sometimes have to set the file to 'read only' for things to stick.

Don't worry too much about your gear, just come as you are, but watch out for Matron! :o

Pip, pip,
Conky