Starts in Safe mode but won't go to normal start

Started by =CfC=Woof, July 23, 2013, 04:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Woof

A tale of woe, chaps.  My flying computer would not start yesterday morning...normal on shut  down previous night.  I suspected my new whiz bang 15000 fps vid card so I swapped it out for my old reliable gtx275.  Some success in that I can now get into safe, but it still will not start from there.  MS checking and repairing tools say all is well with all components, memory, drives etc.  No virus in rig.

On normal start get win logo then it slowly fades over a minute and then zip.

Any thoughts?

I'v got deja vue all over me...

John Cartwright

Power supply unit faulty? (from my own similar experience a while ago)
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

Badgerton Smedly

It doesn't sound like the GC if it's doing the same on your old one Woof.

If BD has had the same on the PSU thats of course an possibility.

Something to do the the windows boot not liking some thing. You could try loading your mobo drivers....

Fitz: any ideas?

=CfC=Father Ted

I had what  I thought were Windows problems, and it turned out to be the HDD dying.  I ran CHKDSK and things, but the problem kept recurring.

I swapped out the PSU on my kids' PC in a similar situation and it didn't help.  In the end I took it to a professional and he diagnosed a MOBO failure

The PSU might be a good call, though, especially if you've been putting a new stress on it with the new GPU.  Also the way you describe the logo fading.

I'm running "CPUID HWMonitor" on my machine and it tells me various voltages.  I've no real idea what they mean, but you might be able to Google what they should be, which might give you an indication of whether it's a PSU problem.

=CfC=Woof

Thanks, all.  Windows repair tools, after two runs, now says it's a driver conflict.  As I could not get into safe mode with the super card I had to change it without cleaning out the drivers...if I were smarter I would have tried to boot in vga rather than the gtx 275 so am now trying, again, to clean out the old drivers.  Some seem resistant.  Any one know if I should remove the 275 then try to clean after restarting with the vga...if that will work?

The soap opera continues...

=CfC=Woof

And the wonderful news continues...Marj broke her left wrist in the gym today...I told her not to press 2500 lbs...just in time for us to fly out to Oregon for her son's wedding, next week.

And the tech rep at ASUS told me that either my MB or Processor was shot, so it will be a while until I can get that fixed and fly again...ah, parting is such sweet whatever...

John Cartwright

Sorry to hear that Woofers old stick; we are dropping like flies. First you then Fitz. My setup getting creaky too.
T'other night, first stick was spiking, then had a bluescreen, then hit myself rather hard in the bollocks swatting a fly that landed on my lap. Thought I better give it up as a bad job.

bb

Sorry to read all of this Woof.   Have you physically taken the box offline and run all of the above?  I was very recently amazed when after 3-4 fairly hopless attempts suddenly... there it is.    I can't by a new box anymore.

=CfC=Woof

Thanks for the replies, guys.  Yep, BB, had everything apart, tried new power supply that did not help...I now have a sparkling new Thermaltake 850 gathering dust balls.

Haven't had time to do any work on it, as the day afer Marj broke her wrist I had to take her to the ER...compression fracture in her back...just swell...had to cancel the wedding trip and now an operation looming to fill her full of concrete...don't ask.  Have been to six different orthos, mris, gps etc.  And finally tomorrow the god of spinal surgeons...concrete or a life of drugs?

Oh boy, I smell a giant law suit.

The soap opera continues...

John Cartwright

Sorry to hear about your continuing woes and misfortunes, and especially Marj's. We wish her a speedy recovery old chap

=CfC=Fitz

Sorry to hear about Marj Woof. Please send her my best wishes for a speedy recovery and from Mrs Fitz.

I'm afraid I'm struggling to look up a solution to your problem without access to my pc but I'll see what I can come up with.

Fitz