The Bigger the Better?

Started by =CfC=BlueDog, November 23, 2010, 05:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=BlueDog

Having run a 22" monitor for some years now, I have a hankering for a 27" monitor, figuring the bigger the better. :-\   But is this really the case?   Sometimes simple extensions (in thought) don't always work out for the best when other complicating factors might abound.  (Bluey, are you waffling on again?). ???

Does anyone run IL2 on a 27" monitor?    If so, what size did you 'graduate' from, and what are your impressions regards such things as game immersion and picture quality?

Poot-poot,

BD

=CfC=Bounder

Hi BD,

I finally upgraded last year to a 25inch LCD (16:9) Asus. It is really great but like everyone warned, with a native resolution of 1920/1200 you don't see the other aircraft until they are on top of you. To be honest, with my eyesight it does not make a great deal of difference and I would certainly no go back to anything smaller.

If you get a 27 inch, you may want to read about the issues with the 16:10 HD screens (same as TV's) when you come to fly with a prog. as old as IL-2. Although these screens are compatible with HD TV's, to get the old 4:3 IL-2 picture inside the screen requires a lot of zooming if you are going to use native resolution. You can get 27 inch 16:9 monitors and they will work pretty well like my 25 inch with just a little zooming when you fly in native resolution. If you are going to use it for HD TV also, the 16:9 picture will have just a little zooming also but I believe it is acceptable.

One day they will get all this sorted and I would guess that 16:10 will be the future, but be aware of the issues.

I really don't know how you are going to get on viewing Matron on a 27 inch screen.....especially 16:10!

Bottoms up.....err sorrieee...

Bounder ;D

CFC_Conky

I wonder what the game looks like on a 27" monitor at a resolution of 1280X1024, which for me struck the best balance between dot range and graphics detail.

I don't use it with my current 22" monitor because it comes out at the same size as on the 19" CRT I retired.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

5./JG27Farber

Im no tech boffin but Ive got a 21.5 inch wide screen LCD and people seem to spot aircraft about 30 sec before me...

Let me dig out the res,

[window]
width=1600
height=1200
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

I had to toy around with it too look decent and then again to remove the vertical letter boxes, this was the best res I found...

:-\

HP2159v LCD monitor, 64OS,Quad Core, ATI 1GB Card, 6GB DDR3.  I think maybe the TrackIR V has something to do with it, the slight "unfocused" effect of the a/c going side ways (at least your view) and the non centered "cone".

?   ???

Now I might be verging on talking tiffin here but...  If a screen is 27" and you had a 22", surely you would have to be a little further away from it?  Perhaps another 2-3"?  I used to work as an optical dispenser and this for close work would seem logical to me, unless your presbiopic then it might be the same at the same range??? - like wearing reading glasses?!
Black 1
Rudolf Farber

CFC_Conky

Just for fun I decided to hook up my computer to my 50" plasma screen TV. Even at 720p, bigger is better! While the resolution might not be as high as that of a proper monitor, 1080p plasma or lcd tv's are getting very cheap since LED sets are beginning to hit the market in a big way. We just bought one for $799CDN and it look great.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

Farber, I have a 22" widescreen LCD.  Having read a post on some forum somewhere,  I altered the resolution in-game to the native one of the screen.  This provided me with a "pretty" picture, but I did worry that I couldn't see stuff.  Having chanced upon this thread, I reset the res to the default value the game detected (sorry - can't say off-hand what this is) and now seem to pick up bogies a bit earlier.  The picture is a bit grainier, but I'll take that if I can upgrade my SA.  Of course this a subjective assessment, so not necessarily true, but it might be worth a look-see

Ted

=CfC=Bounder

It would be great to get a resolution on a big screen that would give both clarity and the ability to see dots at long range.
Unfortunately, IL-2 is best viewed in the original resolution that it was designed for i.e 1024x768.

I used to run this resolution on my previous Mitsubishi Diamond CRT at 85hz and it delivered both clarity and amazing ability to see dots at the maximum range.

With deteriorating eyesight, I was led to believe that peering at an LCD screen was much better for me and so two years ago bought the biggest screen that I could get at an affordable price (under 300 Euros).

I have had this Asus 25.5 LCD screen for a while now and running at its native resolution of 1920x1200 it gives a stunning picture with only 2xAA required it still gives descent FPS in IL-2.

The downside is that the range of visible dots in the distance has reduced very considerably. That coupled with my deteriorating eyesight now allows me to “hear” aircraft before I can see them!

I have tried coming off native resolution. Best so far has been 1440x900 which maintains the 1.6 ratio for the widescreen. However, it is both grainy and tiring to look at. I have even managed to raise the AA to x8Q with the lowering of the resolution and still maintain FPS….but I just cannot look at the screen for any length of time. Shame really as I can increase the distance of the viewable dots with this setting.

I guess it is all a matter of preference, balance and quality of screen…and for me glasses like the bottom of a Worthington bottle!

I will just have to continue looking at my stunning picture and turn up the volume of my hearing aid to know when someone is around……..it’s just great growing old!

Bounder :(

5./JG27Farber

Quote from: =CfC=Bounder on December 05, 2010, 01:02:24 PM
…and for me glasses like the bottom of a Worthington bottle!

Brown and covered in ale?   :D
Black 1
Rudolf Farber

CFC_Conky

I run IL2 at 1680X1050 now on a 22" LCD but I still think the best balance of picture quality vs dot range is 1280X1024, which I used with my old 19" CRT.

Pip, pip,
Conky