A Bucking Spitfire!

Started by Badgerton Smedly, April 13, 2011, 09:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badgerton Smedly

Tally Ho!

I'm CoDing at the moment with full engine management and heating etc.  I've managed to get the Rotol Hurricane under control, keep the T's & P's under control and keep everything to a pleasant level, but Mr Spitfire is not being so agreeable! >:(

I'm setting the prop-pitch as per, the mixture full rich, I'm not over heating but the RPM is all over the place and I'm wibbling over the sky.  Any ideas?  Is it something to do with prop speed management?  I know I should field the 1C forums, but I'm hoping to save some time.

Thanks and Toodles

Badger

=CfC=Bounder

Fascinating stuff Badger.....I don't have the B. prog yet so cannot really comment. What interests me is what version of the Spit Mk1 they have put in.

As you know, the early one's had a De Havilland metal prop (even earlier a fixed pitch wood) with two settings ...fully fine and fully coarse.
If this is what you have....no wonder you are having problems! There is no speed governor on this system, so I would guess that it will mean a very careful eye on Boost/RPM and airspeed to avoid over-speeding the engine....sounds great!

I have no idea how it is modelled in COD but this system is modelled in IL-2 on the SM79 by selecting >50% pitch for "fine" pitch and <50% for "coarse" pitch.

Would be very interested when you find out which prop they have given you?

Bounder ;D

Badgerton Smedly

Thanks for coming back Bounder!

The 2 versions of the Hurricane has both versions of the prop you've mentioned and I've tamed the second as per my text.  The Spit isn't marked, although it's the MkIIa so I presume it's the Rotol constant speed jobby....  I've adjusted pitch, mixture and boost, but still the engine rev's all over the shop and the nose of the old AC wibbles in a most frightsome manner!  Works very well when I take the power complete off though....  ;)

It's obviously something I'm not swtiching on in the cockpit....

Onwards to the 1C forums I fear!

Badger
Future operative in the BoB 'Dogfighting Glider Corps'

=CfC=BlueDog

Tried the Spit Mk IIa last night, complex eng management and temp effects and all that.   Didn't have a problem; although setting a precise RPM is difficult.   So I guess that doesn't help you much, Badger.

Have you got your throttle set up so that you get a linear response rather than a rush of power halfway up the throttle quadrant?   I think Fitz mentioned this as being a set-up problem at one stage.

I must say I'm warming to this sim - if only they could sort out the stuttering over land!   But I think I've got a way to go before chancing online.

Badgerton Smedly

Thanks BDawg

I've set my throttle back to default, but it's fine in the Hurricane and just off in the Spitfire.  I'll have a play.....

The patch monday should sort out the CoD engine issues with FPS and general performance. SB's posted that the beta did show some improvement.

Fingers crossed!

Badger