Overview of Content and Features #1

Started by Badgerton Smedly, April 11, 2011, 10:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badgerton Smedly

Tally Ho Gents - Badger reporting from the Walton-on-the-Naze OTU!

I’ve been a-dabbling over the weekend namely around the ammunition configuration and complex engine management and can report that on the former it doesn’t work.

The idea is that Wilkin’s armourers can mix up the .303’s with ball, tracer, armoured piercing, and incendiaries all of many different types, which can be assigned to each and every gun.  It’s an excellent idea, but there’s a bug in there which doesn’t allow the user to pick the load out in the AC menu.

The engine management is much more complicated than in IL2:1946.  It’s no longer just about keeping the mixture leaned, the engine cool and prop pitch on auto if you want, If you are going full switch on CoD then prepare yourself for a very hands on affair!  I’m not the best virtual pilot (and I certainly wasn’t the best RL pilot), but I’ve managed to cook the Hurricane’s engine on the 6 training flights I rostered myself on yesterday.  Rather than being annoying, it was intriguing!!!  More practice for certain! I honestly think that I’m going to have to put myself on a proper training course before I’ll be able to survive in combat, let alone shoot anything down.

I haven’t given a review of the combat play yet, but I am finding the experience more rewarding that the previous sims.  I thought that this was because of the use of small calibre guns and enemy AC with little armour plate, but the whole flying experience feels different.  I think the previously mentioned performance issues need rectifying before more people can appreciate it, but I’ll be interested in knowing what anyone else thinks thus far.

I’ve a Manston scramble movie to post, but it’s half a gig.  More screen shots to follow too.  Just got to load them up.

Toodles

Badger

=CfC=Father Ted

Couldn't resist it in the end and downloaded it last night whilst playing IL2 - some doom-mongering comments from fellow Chuffolites causing a sinking feeling...

Very first impressions reinforced that sensation - couldn't even get into a mission without it crashing.  A verification of files sorted that and then I spent a frustrating half hour convincing the program that I only had one joystick (default aileron axis = joystick2 X).  Resolved that in the manner of an Englishman abroad - just kept hitting the keyboard harder until it understood.

Now I 've managed to fly about a bit I'm much happier - I think this has great potential.  The flying "feels" more organic than IL2.  I only pootled about the south coast a bit and then put in at Hawkinge (I think), but the frame-rate was fine.  Graphically the landscape is a bit Hornby, but has a reasonable palette for England late summer.

Though it'll take a bit of getting used to I really enjoyed the 6DoF with Freetrack.  As for controls I haven't yet gone down the hardcore, Badger, route.  I'm just mapping my current IL2 keys.  At the moment the CEM seems a bit too, er, C for me just yet.

Ted

=CfC=BlueDog

Anyone strayed onto multiplayer yet?

I did so last night, but only with a great deal of difficulty.   The process is not exactly user friendly - particularly when you have to select an airfield (which they don't tell you how to do).

Got airborne in a icons on server (the only one available ) with about 3 other players.   Some dodgy island map looking altogether fake.   Spun into the sea after tangling with a Spit in my 109 (need to review my controller sensitivity settings for the 109); then couldn't get back into game.

And how do you select an airfield?   With difficulty!   Look for faint white airfield symbols on the map, then double click (I think).   If that doesn't work, move your mouse around the airfield area until it comes up with a small message saying something like "Spitfire MkIIA".   Click on this.   This will (hopefully) bring up a sort-of red circle in the airfield where you click again.   Text will then appear on the right side of the window for aircraft selection.   You will need to scroll down to the bottom of the text to get a button which says "Create".   Then you are in business.   If anyone finds an easier way, let us know.

Phew.

Badgerton Smedly

Went on Multiplayer for the first time yesterday Bluey and got shot down by a spinning 109 with it's UC down. How humiliating....  :-[

Oh, them I gave a Wellington a pasting, I was in a Spitfire and I thought it was a JU88.... well it was far away....  :-[

More off-line practice....

Badger

=CfC=BlueDog

Quotegot shot down by a spinning 109 with it's UC down.

Were you spying on me, Badger?

Bit of a pea and thimble trick with the 109 gear.   First tap of the "G" key gets the system to neutral, then the second tap activates the gear.   Been there, done that! :o

In my defence I didn't notice the gear was still down because I was distracted by those big green lights on the instrument panel. ;D

John Cartwright

Got the ting working but quite honestly not impressed at this stage apart from the cockpits which are quite stunning what with the dynamic lighting and all.
Online-wise, don't think I'll bother with it until it reaches the stage were one can tear into a gaggle of 50+ over Ashford in me Hurri with you more handy chaps in Spits keep an eye out for the yellow nosed bastards coming down from top cover over a proper map.

Disappointment made me install BoB WoV (with the latest version update) which I have never tried before since the original disastrous launch of the Rowan version. What a revelation! A BoB sim as it should be in my opinion, and looking just as good ground detail and building wise as CoD at settings most peeps can get a decent frame rate at. Oleg should've just bunged the BDG a few bob and rebranded this as Storm of War.

When one thinks back, most aerial combat sims were quite poor until mod wallahs got their  talented little mitts on them when originally launched, e.g. CFS 3 and SDOE, or was quickly rid of bugs due to prompt patching by the developers as was CFS1 and EAW. Some fell by the wayside; remember 'Janes's Attack Squadron' anyone? I only got it because it had a Whirlwind flyable, but it was equally buggy and released too early but did not have the loyalty and faith as does CoD due to the excellent IL2.
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

Badgerton Smedly

Bluey - you fiend!!  ;D  The 109 was in a very fast spin and I thought they had lowered their gear to help get out of it, but no, the spin was recovered whilst I was circling and the blighter then came after me with the old undercart still in the pendulous!!  Cunning!!  :D  If it was you Bluey, full credit!  It was a bit annoying being in the spit and not being able to get over 220mph.  There's a 'feature' with having the CEM switched off apparently!! Full switch all the way!! Tally Ho!!

BalD, I agree with your sentiments on CoD.  What is interesting is that it's following the same build and fix rollout history as the original IL2.  In the case of system performance, they are patching up as most game houses do after a release, so hopefully after the next couple, it'll all settle down and they can start work on the new AC to be released.  As long as the FM's have some resemblance to the RL aircraft I'll be happy.  With respect to the Mod groups; as long as the FM's have some resemblance to the RL aircraft and the patches are available in a easy to get manner, I'll be up for them!!

I'm still finding it very exciting!! BRAVO!!

Badger

=CfC=BlueDog

Belay my last.   Flew again tonight and now find the gear comes up with one tap, but goes down through neutral (two taps).   Also found out about the speed limiter, but I was in a full switch server and only got 310 kph out of my 109E3B.   OK off line - get over 400 easily.   

Also in a mickey mouse server with no CEM, no temp effects I could only get a Spit to start.   109 just sat there when I pressed "I" and meassage "Engine stopped".   Thank you, 109, I could see that! ???

Some weird stuff happening.   And if it's weird to Bluey, it must be weird! ;D :D ;D :D