Cliffs of Dover release date (month) announced!

Started by Badgerton Smedly, January 18, 2011, 07:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badgerton Smedly

Binks, it's good to hear that Doris is helping with your recovery and I will do my utmost on my return to Blighty and duel badly with Mr Farber and his cohorts!! ;D

I'm currently hiding along the French coast sending information back to HQ about CoD with the renowned SOE operative and all round heroine, Felicity Mountshaft.  I hope to be home and out of this nun disguise as soon as possible! Ops 1940 is the way to go for me!!

You just know when a thread is coming to an end when it slips into "Carry On" mode....  :D

Hope everyone's had a chance to look a the CoD stills.  Some familiar features in there, but some exciting additions too.

Toodles

Badger

CFC_Conky

Tally Ho Badger,

While SOE HQ is generally happy with your work, they are puzzled by some of the coded messages you have been sending lately.

They are still scratching their heads over your last missive. "The blue fox farts at dawn" they understand, "A bit lower Fifi mon amour, ahh, that's the spot dear" on the other hand... :D

Lots of steamed up spectacles at Bletchley Park these days!

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Palmtree

Binks old chap

I distinctly heard you say over the radio "aha... there's the Jackdaw Inn" followed by "excuse me Mr JG27 pilot.....port wing please with your cannon shells as i prefer to bail out to starboard."    ::) A mite suspicious, I must say but a cunning plan!  :D :D :D

Badger...good to hear from you!

Pt
Watch Your Six!

Holder of the largest Bar Tab 1940

Wynthorpe

Im so excited for this i could wet myself.... then the wife wouldnt be happy my bloomers would be stained!....ooops shouldnt of admitted that.

=CfC=Paladin

I have to admit that I am in a wait and see mode. I will be purchasing CoD to take part in squadron activities probably sooner then later. To me this definitely looks like a fighter pilot related title at least from the red point of view and we all know that with my fighter skills it won't be one of my better options. However looking on the bright side I will get the opportunity to examine the new and improved terrain modeling on a much more regular basis then the rest of you lot. Although its been said that there are many improvements in CoD over the current title and new theaters forthcoming at some point ,I still find it as a step backwards ...at least at initial release. My reasoning with that is a single map and a very limited plane set and the question of how many ways can we fight the Battle of Britain that we haven't already done......Just my opinion.

Regards
Paladin

Some people are like "slinkies ". They're not really good for anything; but
they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of
stairs.

=CfC=Fitz

Don't worry Paladin, I don't see us or indeed many squads making the full jump to CoD until they flesh it out a bit. As you say, fighting the Battle of Britain over and over again was very exciting for those at the time but will quickly get stale for us virtual flyers.

Obviously I'm very keen to give it a whirl and see all the nice new shiny things but variety is indeed the spice of life and flopping into the back of an aircraft carrier on a regular basis is not to be missed!

Pip pip,

Fitz

CFC_Conky

Hi Paladin,

Like you, I'm not in a huge rush to get CoD, within a couple of weeks of its release we'll all get a better idea of how good/less than good it is. I was a rather late arrival on the online scene and I'm just getting used to building missions and campaigns in IL2, something I'm enjoying far more than I should :D.

Still, I will eventually take the plunge, if for no other reason than to stay with the squad.

Pip, pip,
Conky
P.S. I'll try to have lots of A2G in my missions! Please let me know what your preferences are so I can work them in. skip bombing with the new two-second fusing delay is proving far less problematic than I had first feared but i'm still missing a lot when going after ground targets.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

Whilst I am keen to get my mitts on this, I'm also in the wait-and-see camp. I much prefer the idea of stooging round above Croydon rather than Smolensk or Okinawa, so it'll be while afore I get bored by it I imagine.  However, I think this is a rushed release* and will need a patch or two before it'll work properly, particularly on-line.

Ted

*I know, I know - it's been years in development, but there seems to have been so little promotion and we're supposedly a month away from release.  I mean - no "hands on" reports in the press, no demo?

Oh dear, it seems I've been spending too much time over at 1C and UbiSoft forums...

Badgerton Smedly

Quote from: =CfC=Paladin on February 24, 2011, 03:18:22 PM
To me this definitely looks like a fighter pilot related title at least from the red point of view

Paladin, don't worry!  We'll just pop you in a Fairey Battle and watch your 6! :D  Not really.... I don't think there are Battles in the first release, it'll have to be a Blenheim!  :D

The possibility with the new format is huge.  The difference for that chaps that have used the mods and the available channel maps will be how much better they'll be in relation to the new game features.  The scale and technical advances are what'll make it a popular addition to the series. I know I've mentioned it before, but we'll also be flying around in washing machines at best, so if we can get past that we'll be fine.  ;D

I think UBI would do the offering more of a service if they'd released some of the details.  1C seem to be keeping the Russian fans much more up to date.

Badger

=CfC=Bounder

With the variation in maps/aircraft/missions  available in upcoming UP3.0, I think IL-2 (kipper edition) will be around for a while yet and hopefully feature at least one  day a week here at CH.

I'm a muesli fan.....plenty of variation.

Bounder ;D

Gizmo

I have to admit to being a bit (a lot)  'meh' about the whole thing. I can't even fly for 2 hours without changing skins so 1 map and only a couple of plane types that I don't really like anyway is going to get me real bored real quick.

I really hope I'm happily surprised and enjoy it but................. :-\

Badgerton Smedly

Quote from: Gizmo on February 25, 2011, 12:45:46 PM
I have to admit to being a bit (a lot)  'meh' about the whole thing. I can't even fly for 2 hours without changing skins so 1 map and only a couple of plane types that I don't really like anyway is going to get me real bored real quick.

I really hope I'm happily surprised and enjoy it but................. :-\

Crikey - quick Bounder get the MO, Gizmo is going to slip into drinking mode and the first release of CoD may not be able to save him!!  :D

I'm sure that PT, Bounder et al on the mission building front will keep the UK shores interesting enough until more AC are release.  ;)  I don't think it will just be the AC set which will make the AC a winner with existing IL2 fans, it'll be the whole package (weather, # of AC, accurate modeling of Woof's bloomers, etc). It'll take a while to grow, but as Bounder has said 1946 is there in it's differing forms to fill the variety void.

Who know's where it will go, but scale and attention wise CoD will be the concept and investment piece going forwards, so I've got my fingers crossed.  As long as they don't radically bugger up any FM's along the way I'll be happy.

I don't know about you, but I'll be flying CoD off-line for quite a while just to unpick it.

Badger

=CfC= Silverback

I think I'm going to hold off until the collectors edition is released. I hate re-buying stuff. I also do not think IL-2 will ever die, it will just kinda fade away like CFS.