Review

Started by Mak, April 15, 2014, 02:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Bounder

Mac...Conky....

You will both have "Haswell" CPU's and they have something called a C6 and C7 power saving facility.
Many PSU's cannot apparently cope with the very low idle voltage required by this power state and it is necessary to disable this in the BIOS.

A better solution is to check if you are getting a PSU that is compatible with this feature. Apparently, Corsair have been quick to make their PSU's meet these requirements.

Unfortunately, mine is four years old and is causing some issues after !Hibernation". I have yet to resolve this problem.

Bounder ::)

=CfC= Ax

Do not scrimp on the PSU. Good ones are measured by the their ability to maintain their correct output voltage within a small tolerance at maximum loading. The idea that bigger is better is not always the case. Modern components are designed to be more frugal and hence greener for the environment.

To give you an idea, my Enermax 850W PSU feeds 8 HDD inc 3 x SSD, an heavily overclocked Sandybridge @ 4.6 Ghz, a GTX TITAN, sound card, 8 x USB devices, CDROM drive etc.  It's more than enough power, and when you factor in capacitor deterioration over a 5 year period, it behaves impeccably.

Yes, Corsairs are good. Also go for a modular design, it will make your build far, far easier.

=CfC=Father Ted

Lost me at "Do..." there Ax....

=CfC=Bounder

Quote from: Axion on April 18, 2014, 06:19:10 PM
Do not scrimp on the PSU. Good ones are measured by the their ability to maintain their correct output voltage within a small tolerance at maximum loading. The idea that bigger is better is not always the case. Modern components are designed to be more frugal and hence greener for the environment.

To give you an idea, my Enermax 850W PSU feeds 8 HDD inc 3 x SSD, an heavily overclocked Sandybridge @ 4.6 Ghz, a GTX TITAN, sound card, 8 x USB devices, CDROM drive etc.  It's more than enough power, and when you factor in capacitor deterioration over a 5 year period, it behaves impeccably.

Yes, Corsairs are good. Also go for a modular design, it will make your build far, far easier.

+1 Axion....agree about Corsair and their modular units....excellent.

That is one hell of a rig you have!

Incidentally, having disabled the C6/C7 power states in my BIOS, I cannot see any difference in the idle power....draws only 1W with the CPU running at 800hz and input voltage less than 1V. It seems that most motherboard manufacturers are disabling this new feature by default (my MSI board was disabled) until PSU manufacturers catch up. It was only in the final part of my overclock that I followed instructions to enable this feature and then got spurious shut downs with low power demand.

This is a Haswell CPU feature only I believe, so only an issue if you are building right now.

Bounder :-\