Upgrading OS

Started by =CfC= Binks, December 06, 2010, 01:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC= Binks

Thought I would finally make the switch from Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit to the 64 bit version this week. Backed up all my files onto a new hard drive, and popped in the disc. After several hours of frustration, and internet help forums, it would appear that upgrading is nigh on impossible without starting afresh. Not only that, but Windows 7 appears to have an inbuilt protection to prevent it from being deleted.
Undeterred, I have downloaded Darik's Boot and Nuke utility, put it onto a disc, and set it running. Appears to be working away at deleting everything on the hard drive, including Windows, but so far it has been running for 27 hours, and still has 9 to go.
Beginning to wish I had never started.........

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

=CfC=Woof

My sympathy is all I can offer, Your Technicalship.

I'v got deja vue all over me...

=CfC=Bounder

You are a brave man Binks Old Chap......my better half has Windows 7 and I won't go near it until I absolutely have to......it reminds me of an old nanny....or as the RAF currently call their navigator's....."talking baggage!"

Best of luck and hope you have the elastic band wound tight for Tuesday night.

Bounder ;D

Great picture Woof.......what an earth does an air force want with that?

Gizmo

XP will wreak rewwengggge

=CfC= Silverback

I hope that works Binks I have 7 64 bit and it's great. It looks like XP but runs smoother and faster.

=CfC=BlueDog

My new rig, running Windows 7 64 bit should arrive today or tomorrow. :)

So, gurus, what is the best way to copy 1946 off my old rig and put it on my new? ???

I had assumed it was merely a matter of copying to my external drive and then copying to the new rig. :o

Not so?

=CfC=Woof

Bluey, yep, that's all you have to do.  Copy from XP to external hard drive to WIN7 64 is what I did and it worked elsupremo.

And Bounder, that picture of the C45 is from the Fifties.  We had a very few in France for comm flights.  Sometime in the early sixties the name switched from Royal Canadian Air Force (with RAF ranks) to Force Arienne Canadien ( or something like that) with Army ranks.  Boo and bloody great hiss!
I posted the pic as a prelude to to another heart wrenching tale of imminent death and too tight neck ties I plan on posting in the Nostalgia forum...when I get the damn time.   How can  someone so damned old be so effing busy or is it just a case of instant forgetfulness?

I'v got deja vue all over me...

=CfC= Binks

Thankfully, all completed and re-loaded. My computer is now double the number of bits.

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

=CfC= Silverback

That's great news Binks.

BlueDog when you reinstall IL-2 do not put it in your program files. Just put it in "C" and make new shortcuts and you'll be OK.

Gizmo

Yep, as said IL-2 will work straight away but you will have to go through and re-install all the other gubbins, JSGME, TIR, TS3, joycontrol and whatever else you like to use.