Internet resets, and coms issues.

Started by =CfC= Binks, October 01, 2010, 08:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC= Binks

Just recently, I have been having a lot of problems with internet crashes, and the message, "connection was reset during download". The only way to re-access is to completely shut down and re-boot.  I have also been having problems with X Fire, and coms connection continually dropping out.

I did a google trawl this morning, and have found that many others are having the "reset" problem, the common factor for all being Avast anti virus software.
Apparently, some recent updates have corrupted and blocked the ability of internet search engines to access new Http sites, hence the problems.
Only answer it appears is to completely uninstall Avast, and download something different. I'm hoping this will explain some of the X Fire problems too.

Find out on our next shindig I guess.

Cheers.

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

=CfC=Bounder

Good to see you back in the air last night Binks.....sorry to hear you are also having problems.

I have been using Avast for a while now and have not had internet issues. Are you using the facility to run "Silent/gaming mode"?

Over the last few years I have changed free anti virus software a few times as I'm sure it is expected that eventually you should cough up for the "full" version and if you don't, it starts to cause issues.

Xfire does seem to be causing problems though as I now hear repeated and sometimes garbled transmissions.

I fear the internet is just getting overwelmed with video downloads/TV etc.

If you find that another anti virus works better, do let us know as I expect to have to change soon also.

Bounder ;D

=CfC= Binks

Hi Bounder,

I have switched to AVG Free. I have used it before, and found it to be excellent. The only reason I moved away from it, is that it adds a search facility to your toolbar that overrides Google. However, it does leave a separate google window to use instead. Choose the custom install option if you download it, and untick the toolbar box, otherwise it will switch you over to Yahoo.
Have left the internet running all day, and, so far, no problems.

I did use the "run silent gaming mode" with Avast but recently, internet interruptions have begun to happen every 15 minutes or so, with the necessity to reboot every time. Very tedious!

Toodle pip.

HE Lord Binks.

CFC_Conky

Hello Chaps,

I've switched to Microsoft Security Essentials for my anti-virus protection. It's free and seems to 'play well with others' ;)
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Gizmo

I've also been using MSE since AVG had that hiccup some time back and am quite happy with it's performance.

Also use Gamebooster configured to shut down AV, antispyware, automatic downloads and anything else unnecessary when I'm flying online.

Cheers

5./JG27Farber

Strange, Im using a paid for copy of avast and have had no problems.

Windows 7
4 cores
6Mb Ram
Radion 1Gb Graphics card
Black 1
Rudolf Farber

Treiber

I've been using Norton Internet Security for years, and it's never interfered with any games I've played.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

JG27SvenK

I´m using Norton 2010 as well, a free version included with my brand new mobo, pretty neat.

=CfC=Fitz

Guess it wasn't avast then.....

I'll have a look and see if I can come up with anything. My first thought is that as both you and Silverback are having the same problems, it's likely to be an issue with t'interweb in your part of the world.

I'll keep looking though.

pip pip,

Fitz

=CfC= Binks

Not Avast on the coms front, but haven't had the 15 minute interval cut outs on the web since I deleted and switched to AVG.
Seems a few others are having the same problem, judging by the posts on the XFire help line.

HE Lord Binks.

=CfC= Binks

Damn!  Still having problems with X Fire and the Network congestion cut out. I know it's not the connection this end, as everything else is working fine, (Skype etc). Have tried deleting and re-loading, but no effect.   Any suggestions or ideas anyone?

HE Lord Binks.

=CfC=Fitz

Is it only X-Fire causing you problems now? I know you were having problems with the game as well. If it's just X-Fire, we may need to look at switching comms again.

I'm also looking into setting up a VPN for you to use Binks that may solve some of the problems you've been having. It's a bit complicated though so it may take some time.

pip pip,

Fitz

=CfC=Bounder

I guess you have had a look at the FAQ section on the XFire website? The only applicable are below....but I think you have probably done that already?
From the FAQ:-

* When I run Xfire my computer loses network connectivity along with other computers on my network. Is Xfire causing this?

This is caused by a limitation in a network device like a router. This is commonly seen on wireless devices.

When you log in to Xfire it sends out queries to all the servers your Friends and Friends of Friends are playing on. When those queries get returned, the routers internal tables cannot handle the data properly and shutdown your network connection.

The known workarounds for this problem are:

1. Update your router firmware. Contact the router manufacturer for updating instructions.

2. Turn off the Friends of Friends option. (Tools | Options | Privacy tab. Uncheck "Show friends of my friends").

2. Turn off the typing notification. (Tools | Options | Privacy tab. Uncheck "Show people when I type to them").

3. Try disabling the Xfire download system. (Tools | Options | Files tab. Set all to "Disabled").

If these things do not improve your connection to Xfire we may ask for you to post the following information in our Technical Support - OPEN forum.

What is the exact text of the error message you get from Xfire?
When does Xfire lose connection? (Getting Friends list?, Initializing??)
What type of connection? (Cable, DSL, 56k?)
What kind of software firewall or router are you using?
Do you have a security software package like Norton or Zone Alarm and if so, which version?

Also this:-

* I get disconnected from Xfire every few minutes or when I join a game. How do I fix this?

Xfire uses something called a 'heartbeat' to know if you're still connected to the server. On a regular cycle, we send this 'heartbeat' to the server and then the message is received.

If you can't send the message to the server, you get an error talking to it. If you get an error reading from server, you didn't receive the heartbeat back from the server.

The most likely culprit to cause this is an aggressive firewall, router or NAT device. Firewalls and NAT's have functions that will close down unused ports when they are not used for a certain period of time. This is done to protect you from open ports being hacked.

Most good firewalls/NAT's will have an adjustment or timer that you can tweak to adjust how often this happens. Older products came with a default timer of 10 minutes, but newer ones seem to be set to 5 minutes or lower.

If you have a 5 minute timer, or do not have any clue what you have or how to adjust it, you can adjust Xfire instead. First, completely exit Xfire, it cannot be running while you make changes. Once Xfire is not running, you can edit your Xfire.ini file. You can use the "search" feature on your start menu to find it, or you can located it manually (default location for Windows XP is c:\program files\xfire; for Windows Vista it can be found at c:\programdata\xfire - this is a hidden folder so you'll need to set hidden files/folders to viewable in your Windows Vista settings before it will appear).

Once you locate the Xfire.ini file, double click it to open it in notepad or wordpad. You should see something that looks like this:

[Toucan] Build=19803
[Xfire]
Version=56
InstallVersion=43
UpdateCount=24
[I18N]
LanguageMajor=us
[Skin]
SkinName=Xfire
[DNS Cache]
cs.xfire.com=204.71.190.24

You will need to add a new line that says:
PingInterval=180
You will need to add this under the [xfire] section. After you've done this, your Xfire.ini file should look like this:

[Toucan]
Build=19803
[Xfire]
Version=56
InstallVersion=43
UpdateCount=24
PingInterval=180
[I18N]
LanguageMajor=us
[Skin]
SkinName=Xfire
[DNS Cache]
cs.xfire.com=204.71.190.24

Save the file, and restart your Xfire client. You will now have a 3 minute 'heartbeat' time, which will be below the more modern 5 minute firewall timers. If you still have problems, you can lower the PingInterval to 120 or 2 minutes, but that's the lowest it can be adjusted.

Now if you're only getting disconnected while you're playing games, the problem may not be a port closing up. To send and receive the heartbeat to the server, Xfire requires some cpu time and bandwidth. If you computer is slightly below spec and playing a newer game, you may not have the cpu time available and therefore the above suggestion might not help.

Lastly, all ISP's experience hiccups once in a while. If this happens at the right moment, Xfire will not send or receive the 'heartbeat' and you'll get disconnected. The PingInterval solution is something geared towards the user who gets disconnected many times per day or session, and not just once every few days.

Bounder :(

=CfC= Binks

Thanks for that Bounder. I have just run XFire via a VPN, and it appears to be fine. Turn the VPN off, and it cuts out every two or three minutes. I think the local ISP might have something to do with it, as they don't like competing voip systems. Same with Skype, we can only run it via a VPN.

It's just the XFire I'm having problems with Fitz. Solved the internet issues by running a check on the port forwarding to my router.

I posted a message on the X Fire tech forum, and they too seem to think it's something to do with my ISP.

Incidentally, I've run a search, and examined all the files in the XFire folder, and there is no sign of a .ini file. Very curious.

HE Lord Binks.

=CfC= Binks

Fitz,

I'll try to set up a UK VPN from this end. I managed to download and subscribe to V Buzzer just before it was discovered and blocked. It routes via Canada, so not ideal. We are in need of a second, UK VPN, to access the Beeb i player, and so that Mme Binks can call home via Skype whilst I am engaged with CFC.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Flying online may be restricted to Thursdays very soon, as the UK clocks revert to GMT.  I need all the beauty sleep I can get, for my 5-30 am wake ups.

Cheers.

HE Lord Binks.