dedicated server - cant connect locally ?!?!?!

Started by Nocke, January 01, 2015, 12:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nocke

Hi chaps,

I have successfully set up an IL2 server, to which I can connect and play from other computers in my home network.
However, I cant do so from the PC the server is running on. I know its not the firewall, the problem remains if I switch it off. Also, I have e.g. been able to communicate on that PC from one terminal window to another one using ncat on the udp port I specified in my server confs.ini.
When the server is running and I contact it via ncat on udp 21000, sending some senseless character, it tells me that an open connection was forcibly closed by the remote server, which makes me think the server is receiving connections from localhost.

I am running out of ideas and would greatly appreciate any hint....

=CfC=Father Ted

Hi Nocke

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea with this!  My only thought would be to ask why not just set up a "listening" server?

Nocke

Hi Ted!

I am uncertain about what a listening server is. Isn't beeing listening for someone who wants to connect practically the definition of beeing a server? Anyways, this is my first intent to get a dedicated server running, I might well be missing a point....

=CfC=Father Ted

As I understand it (ie not very well) a listening server is where a player hosts it and plays at the same time (like Fitz does for us).  I guess a dedicated server would offer more functions, like automatically rolling the maps over and so on, but if you just want to play on a LAN, then just hosting would seem all you need.

Nocke

Lol !!!!!!!!
Typical case of overengineering from my side :)
Actually thats all I wanted to do. Went through all the hardness of setting up the dedicated server just to learn now its THAT EASY .....
I was really blind. Somehow I thought you could only host coops like that, and that nobody would be able to join once the thing had started.

I am greatly indebted to you, Ted!

=CfC=Father Ted

No problem!  I was worried that I was stating the obvious since you were in the know about "ncat" and "terminal windows".