Westland Whirlwind

Started by =CfC= Binks, May 17, 2011, 02:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC= Binks

I had heard in the distant past that someone was working on a mod for this aircraft, and today I found the following link from a post on the SAS site.

http://www.oceanicwing.com/il2_projects.html

Appears they have had a lot of trouble with equipment being lost in the recent NZ earthquakes, but they are stoically back on track, and we may have this mod, plus a Boomerang later this year.
Looks like it might be fun. ;)

Pip pip.

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

=CfC=Fitz

Sounds interesting, must admit though that I don't know much about the whirlwind. Wasn't it meant to be a possible replacement for the Typhoon?

Speaking of looking forward to things, when are you going to be joining us again old chap? We do miss you you know! How's things otherwise? And if you're ever back in blighty, feel free to look me up and we can knock back a couple of home brews.

Pip pip,

Fitz

=CfC=Bounder

We were beginning to think you were lost to one of Mdme. Fifi's establishments in SW France Binks Old Chap.......did you fail to pay the bill and get chased by the Gendarmes into the Pyrenees?

Look forward to having you back even though after that length of R & R you will be walking like John Wayne!

Bounder ;D

PS.....We are all waiting eagerly for UP 3.0 but as you say a while before the Whirlwind is finished.

John Cartwright

That's a nice bit of news. Always liked the Whirly; often wondered why it's operational life was so short, or why it hasn't featured in a sim before.
Engine problems and high take off/ landing speed I believe.
Love to have a bash at 110s in one combined with some ground attack ultraviolence.
Nicked shamelessly from Wiki:

'"The Whirlwind was great to fly - we were a privileged few":

In retrospect the lesson of the Whirlwind is clear… A radical aircraft requires either prolonged development or widespread service to exploit its concept and eliminate its weaknesses, Too often in World War II such aircraft suffered accelerated development or limited service, with the result that teething difficulties came to be regarded as permanent limitations
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

=CfC= Binks

Ah Fitz! If all goes to plan, and it quite often doesn't, I may be escaping to blighty in the near future, commuting every weekend from either France or Scotland! (Oh for the simple life). Meanwhile, all my kit is still in the Emirates, awaiting the funds for me to ship it all home.

As soon as I have a rig powerful enough, I will be back as JG27 bait. Might even build myself a new one.

Been following the UP3.0 posts Bounder, I remember when we tried out some of the features, jumping around from Pilot to gunner positions in the same aircraft. Great fun. :D  Still dodging the Vichy gendarmes, fortunately the local resistance have hidden me in the wine cellar of the  convent, as I told them of my Catholic heritage. ::) Ssshhhhhhh :-X

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

CFC_Conky

If they give the Whirlwind historically accurate performance and reliability, I don't think too many people will like it. I believe its engines were quite temperamental.

Same goes for Japanese aircraft from the Ki-61 onwards.

I'd rather have the Hornet F1:

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.