CoD Detail, Experiences and Discussion

Started by Badgerton Smedly, March 30, 2011, 12:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badgerton Smedly

Chaps

I appreciate that it'll be a while till CoD is firing on all cylinders of that cheeky Merlin and that the main workhorse of CFC is IL2: 1946 + mods, but I think getting up to speed with the new 'tool du jour' may be a fun side-line!

As with IL2, CoD presents itself as a tweakable offering and it certainly isn't an out of the box offering.  INI tweaking and rig customisation will be employed in getting the most out of the game.

What say ye to kicking off one or more CFC threads (in the Technical Area) as a knowledge base to cut through the posts and chaff of the official forums sites?

A few thoughts/rambles below:

• It appears that from immediate feedback the 32-bit EXE is stable enough, but a 64-bit offering is on the cards.  What this means to mixed rig gameplay I don't know, but I'll keep my ears peeled. (e.g. 64 bit means the utilisation of more memory, thus more action, but what does that mean to 32-bit players on the same map etc,)

• The INI filters etc. are tweakable, but what does that mean?  What's the best combo? What is the rig config impact and what can we learn from each other?

• Having a big one doesn't really matter apparently.  They obviously don't read Cosmo.... the game currently has set boundaries which will become scalable as releases progress.  This interests me, so I'll keep on top of it.

• What of the dedicated server?

Just some background thoughts for now.....

Getting on-line is still challenging for me, but I can read and pick up detail on an adhoc basis which may be useful.

Toodles

Badger

=CfC=Fitz

Good idea Badger!

It may be a case of post important bits to make sticky then compiling the most important into a couple of longer 'how to' guides. I'm happy whichever way everyone prefers.

Fitz

nb - Badger, I've given you forum admin rights so you have the option of setting up seperate boards etc. if you require it.

CFC_Conky

Very good idea Badger!

Lots of angst over the game these days, it will be interesting to see what the patch does. Here in the colonies, the game will be available on April 19. They've hooked up a few more dogs to the sled otherwise it would not arrive until the summer, that two week period during the year with poor sledding  :D.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

CFC_Conky

Further to my last, I'd like to know if the view panning is at a set rate like in IL2 or does it emulate mouse movement. Still no TIR for me, I look silly as a teletubby :D.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Badgerton Smedly

It does emulate mouse movement Conky, after you press F10....  ;D

=CfC=Fitz

XP users getting stuck at 95% loading need to turn off 'grass' as it uses all your memory or makes you forget stuff or gives you munchies or something.... where was I?

I don't seem to be able to select AA in the video settings. Anyone know if I'm missing something obvious?

Also water appears to be a mass of green squares?!?!

After a little fiddling and everything set to medium, it's still unplayably choppy even over water with no other aircraft for me. Looking forward to a bit of optimisation and some decent settings suggestions! My machine isn't the latest and greatest but it should be able to run this without breaking a sweat (in fact load is never above 40% on any core or on the GPU, RAM is not fully utilised. Not sure where the issue is because it isn't taxing my machine...)

Fitz

5./JG27Farber

VRAM apparently, 2GB cards are ok but 1GB is choppy unless on mid-low   :-\
Black 1
Rudolf Farber

UrsusManor

Yes! after more than a month of delay, the delivery guy rang and handed over a box to my wife: the Cliffs of Dover has arrived in my country as well...finally.. :)
Escaping in a Wirraway :D

Badgerton Smedly

Quote from: UrsusManor on April 15, 2011, 02:57:29 PM
Yes! after more than a month of delay, the delivery guy rang and handed over a box to my wife: the Cliffs of Dover has arrived in my country as well...finally.. :)

Bravo UM!!

So the cursed cold fingers of the virual war spread their way to Hungary too!!  :o

Onwards!!

Badger

=CfC= Silverback

It's still not ready for the USA. I heard sometime in May.