RoF Night AAR

Started by =CfC=Father Ted, January 08, 2012, 12:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Father Ted

For those who were unable to attend...

Myself, Binks, Palmtree and Fitz gathered last night on the SYN realism server for a couple of hours of WW1 fun.  Although we weren't successful in terms of shooting much down (or indeed avoiding getting shot down) I personally found it very enjoyable.

A few tips to pass on to those who weren't there but may like to have a go next time (if there is one):

Turn down the in-game sound effects as at normal levels they drown out TS.  I don't think you can do this from within the game.

Check that you know your controls for mixture and radiator.  You won't be able to take off without being able to set the mixture (assuming full real server)

Work out how to use the map and sundry controls before going "live".  Binks manged to arm himself with a flare gun and then couldn't put it away again.

On a similar note, it might be worth checking out how to use the gunner position as the Brisfit might a good way for us to go to work - and the gunner doesn't have to own the plane

I uncheck "simple gauges" and then hit "control I" to bring up a small HUD of compass (very useful), engine settings (essential) and clock (pointless),  The engine settings shows your mixture (red=rich) rads (horizontal = closed), throttle and temp (green light = OK).  Find out where the rev meter is in your machine and then use that in conjunction with the HUD to conjure the best performance from your engine at a given altitude.  I know the HUD is a bit "cheaty" but it is hard to remember what your settings are if you have to use key presses to adjust them.

As to combat, well, perhaps the others are better placed to comment on that...The general principles of IL2 hold true, especially in using your machine in the "correct" style.  Also it seems that teamwork is if anything more important as energy seems to be a more precious commodity.

The sky is big and quite empty, though we did find that shooting down enemy balloons was like putting a bucket of chum over the side of the Orca.  And (to over extend a metaphor) we're gonna need a bigger boat.  The Dr 1 we attracted by this method shot down three of us one after the other, despite the fact that he climbed up to us and we saw him coming*.  Eeek!

More thoughts as they occur...

Ted

*Mind you that pilot is rated as the 20th best  in the whole of RoF MP, so maybe we shouldn't be too disheartened.