Field Mods

Started by =CfC=Father Ted, January 02, 2012, 05:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Father Ted

Anyone bought any of these?

Having flown a bit in the DVII, I found I realised how useful the reflector sights are in IL2.  At the moment I basically point the machine and aim at a point between the two MGs.  What with the not very visible tracers and the lack of bullet strikes. I've got no real idea where the bullets are going.

However, I see in the 777 store that you can buy reflector sights for the DVII, plus the Aldiss for the RFC crates. Can anyone say whether splashing out (I know it's not much, but it is  per plane) for these will make things significantly easier?

=CfC=Palmtree

I have the Aldiss on my SE5, its ok, but I don't find it much of an advantage over the iron sight.  I haven't bothered with any more since.
Watch Your Six!

Holder of the largest Bar Tab 1940

=CfC= Silverback

My DVIIs and VIII have reflector sights and they are well worth it. As far as the tube sights go I'm with Palmtree as in they arn't much better than the stock iron sights. I have found that setting my convergence at 150 works best for me.

=CfC=Father Ted

Thanks chaps, I'll look into justifying some purchases (also looking at a new stick, so some negotiation may be required...)

=CfC= Binks

Didn't know you could set convergence! I've been spraying stuff all over the skies! Also, on te Se5a there are two sights. Which one do you use?

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

CFC_Conky

Did reflector sights actually exist during the Great War? Pretty clever if they did.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC= Silverback

The earliest record of the reflector sight being used with fighter aircraft was in 1918. The optical firm of Optische Antal Oigee of Berlin, working from the Grubb patents, developed 2 versions what came to be known as the Oigee Reflector Sight. Both used a 45 degree angle glass beam splitter and electrical illumination and were used to aim the plane's machine guns. One version was used in operational trials on the Albatros D.Va fighter biplane and Fokker Dr.1 fighter triplane. This info is from Wilki.

=CfC= Silverback

Just redid the ROF folder in the dropbox. I also put my enhanced ROF map in.  It is vary helpful when lost (I know skilled avaitors that we are it is not likely to be used).  Put a copy on a memory stick and get it made at a print shop (3ft or 1 meter wide).