Server Specs for CoD

Started by 5./JG27Farber, April 16, 2011, 05:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5./JG27Farber

Any tech heads in here?

Ive been taling to Fitz for a while now about a server.  Does anyone know what the specs might be? 

Weve had a quote based purley on a guess:

Attached is our quotation that meets your spec.
We have selected stability of Intel for cpu & mainboard along with the reliability of Kingston for the memory.

If you need any further information please give me a call

Intel Q8300 Quad Core cpu

Intel DG41WV mainboard

2 x 4GB DDR3 memory

250 GB SATA2 Hard Drive

DVD Writer

Mini Tower case

19” TFT monitor £500 inc vat

Weve got a spare one gig card to put in it.

Would really appreciate any feed back on this!
Black 1
Rudolf Farber

=CfC=Fitz

Hi Farber,

First off, you're probably best to wait until CoD is patched up with performance upgrades and then waiting for a better idea of specs required for a server. Taking a stab in the dark, I'd say that the specs you've posted will probably be ok but there are a few comments that I would make.

Whilst the Q8300 is a pretty good cpu, you're stuffed with regards to potential upgrades as it's a 775. The 'i' series chips are also better clock for clock that the core 2's. Just don't make the mistake I did. I went for the i7 920 and not long after they released the 1156 as the standard socket so I have a very limited upgrade path myself.

As multi-core optimisation is on the cards, I'd be very tempted to look at AMD's hex core cpu's. They seem pretty solid and are much cheaper compared to intels quad cores.

I'd also steer clear of intel motherboards. They're only really suited to a workstation style desktop. They do try and have a stab at the performance market every now and again but they normally end up having problems with them. You'll want something with a bit of tweaking ability. I have used both Asus and Gigabyte boards for a while and they are both generally pretty good.

8 GB RAM may be more than you need, you could probably save a few bob going for either 6 or 4GB

I'd also go with two 120GB drives rather than a 250. Put your OS on one and the game on the other so it can read off both drives at the same time.

No GPU? If I remember correctly, the game is set up as a server with single player having only one client. If this is the case (and if using it for '46 co-ops as well) even a cheap GPU will remove some stress from the cpu. You can pick up a cheap 200 series for about £40 nowadays that would do fine.

Save some cash on the monitor by having either a switcher for your mouse, kb and monitor so you can use the same ones as your gaming rig or set it up and then use a wake on lan remote boot and use a remote desktop to run it. (This way you can provide log in details to the rest of the squad and they can still use the server if you aren't home)

Are you building it yourself? You could also save a bit by doing so...

Fitz

Edit - just noticed you'd put 1 GB card at the bottom! I'm guessing this is the GPU so ignore my GPU comment.

Edit2 - a quick look at 1c forums and it seems there is a dedicated server included with the game. Not sure if this is just for DF's though like '46

5./JG27Farber

Thanks Fitz!  It really is reassuring to have the oppion of some one who has done it before.
Black 1
Rudolf Farber

=CfC=Father Ted

Saw this on the 1C forums, describing a dedicated 128-player server:

"The server consists of a 12 core Xeon (dual 6 core CPUs) 1gbps (1 gig per second upload/download bandwidth) and 48 gigs of DDR3."

Eek!

Badgerton Smedly

Don't worry - everything will be fine Ted; that sounds like Silverback's rig spec!  :)

Badger

5./JG27Farber

Yea I saw that ted, its mental.  What they dot tell you is that PC is also the dooms day clock...
Black 1
Rudolf Farber