Other sims

Started by Sable, June 30, 2010, 01:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sable

What are peoples thoughts on DCS BS and RoF - I believe a couple of you guys play these ones.

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about RoF (loading times, lack of aircraft) but it would be good to have the opinion of someone objective.

BS looks like a right beast (not unlike Madam Fifi sans makeup) - whilst I enjoy the realism, is there enough of a game to make it worthwhile?  What's the campaign\mp etc like?

Was also thinking of having another look at LOMAC - been a while since I gave that a go.

All thoughts gratefully received!

SK

5./JG27Farber

I dont know of the other abbreviated games you speak of but RoF is a good sim.  Although you need to be aware that the game isnt that expensive but you have to buy additional planes which can come to a pretty big price even if you just get half of them.

Game play wise its very nice visually and the open air cockpits with the air rushing around as you maneaver makes me want to ride my motorbike.  As there were no radios your pilot can perform hand gestures instead which is interesting.  The AI pilots usually end up in a constant turn battle when in a one on one but large dogfights are chaotic and exciting.

The game modes are both historical and fantasy, for example there is dogfight and there is a domination mode where you capture flags.  Capturing flags is actually allot of fun in a non serious way.

The armamnet is very lacking as your'd expect and getting a kill can be very difficult.  You can also drop bombs and straf ground targets.

The physics seem good and the light planes are very "luffty".  Every plane has some characteristic which is important to lean and it is interesting to look around the cockpit and see the technology of the day.  Landing and taking off for anyone who has played IL-2 for any time is very easy and the planes being so light with so much lift are very easy to fly.  Although there is allot of finesse to be lernt to master a plane.

Originally when it first came out it wasnt very user friendly for example: you had to quit the whole game to change a control.  However the developers seem very keen to inprove the game and this is no longer an issue.  Allot of fine tuning and additions have been implemended since release and its a pleasure to see the investment from the devolpers which came about from the customer base feedback.

In conclusion:  Very nice game, you need a few quid to play it though, it has a good company behind it.
Black 1
Rudolf Farber

WidowMaker

I also Play ROF and must admit it is a good game both graphically and playability. It really does recreate the dogfights of WW1 excellently!

WM