New GPU

Started by =CfC=Bounder, January 30, 2011, 10:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Bounder

Well I have finally taken the plunge!

This weekend, OC had an offer on the MSI 460 Cyclone and as this is the card that suits this part of the world (huge 9mm fan and very good OC capability) I have finally ordered one.

This together with installing a huge Megahelms CPU cooler that has been waiting for the space to be installed (the 8800GT plus Thermalite cooler was too big alongside) will hopefully carry me through to the next major upgrade of motherboard/CPU/RAM/OS when I win the lottery.

I should be able to get 3.6ghz out of my E8400 and with the new card I'm hoping to run at least 4xAA with 1920x1200 which may even enable me to see what speed I'm flying at.

Should be up and running by the second week of February.....Yeeee Haaaaah!

Bounder ;D

=CfC=Fitz

Huzzah!!

All you need now is to slip some amphetamines to the donkeys carrying your data packets and you'll be sorted  ;D

pip pip,

Fitz

p.s. make sure you tighten the screws on the megahalems gently but firmly as I had to re-tighten mine first try. It seems tight and I didn't like the feel of getting it tighter but I got there in the end. Also remember to use just a tiny amount of thermal paste. You're only filling tiny pits in the metal and ensuring a physical connection for the whole surface. A thick layer will hinder more than help.

=CfC=Bounder

I think I might have to get more info from you Fitz on installing the Megahelms in a couple of weeks.

Incidentally, thanks to you and Gizmo (Your 8800GT and Gizmo's Thermalite cooler) I have had a great two years with the 8800. Never once let me down and if I had not got hold of the ASUS screen running at 1920x1200 I would have been tempted to hang on for another year.

As it is, I'm hoping someone might want to take this great team (GPU + cooler) and keep it at CH. So Ted, or anyone else running anything less than an 8800GT on PCIE it's yours for just an address to send it. I'll be in UK on the 12-15 March for the Calcutta Cup so can bring it over then and post it.

Fitz and Gizmo.....thanks chaps for a great two years.

Bounder  ;D

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: =CfC=Bounder on January 30, 2011, 06:47:22 PM
As it is, I'm hoping someone might want to take this great team (GPU + cooler) and keep it at CH. So Ted, or anyone else running anything less than an 8800GT on PCIE it's yours for just an address to send it. I'll be in UK on the 12-15 March for the Calcutta Cup so can bring it over then and post it.

That is a very kind offer Bounder and I may well take you up on it.  You may want to take it back, though, when you learn that I want the boys in dark blue to snaffle that Cup.  Although I'm a staunch England cricket fan, and so-so about the footie team, when it comes to rugger my loyalties lie securely north of the border.  TBH I don't know much about the game, never having played it, but was quite into following it on the telly back in the late 80s/early 90s.  I went to Twickers for a Calcutta Cup back then and found it hard to follow the action.  England kicked the Scots to death and I was surrounded by drunks in Barber jackets, so all in all not a great day out

Ted

=CfC= Binks

Ted, you are keeping the wrong company! Though Twickers is a venerable sporting venue, sometimes the hoy poloy do get a trifle rowdy. No such degeneracy at Henley Royal, where you can be surrounded by a much more exclusive class of enebriate, resplendant in blazer or frock. The women are prettier too!

Pip pip.

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

=CfC=Bounder

Ted.......The spec of my 8800GT is pictured below. it has 512mb running at 660Mhz (factory O/C). I know Badger has an 8800GTX which you can weigh up to see which one would suit you. These cards run hot and Gizmo provided me with a beautifully engineered Thermalite cooler that replaces the original fan. The whole contraption is quite large and takes up two slots worth of space but it does run very cool. Let me know before March?

Here is the spec:-

Ted/Binks....re the rugby....my other half is Scottish (Kilmarnock) and because I'm half Russian my son has seen fit to support Scotland! He is taking me to the Calcutta Cup for a Christmas/Birthday present as I have never been before. Look out for a blue shirted Scottish supporter standing next to an ancient Imperial Russian Navy uniformed Officer sporting a black tooth!

Badgerton Smedly

Ted, as Bounder says; why not take both, do a bit of testing and then stick the unwanted one back out for recycling?  Just an idea.

I'm sure it's in this thread but make sure your PSU has enough wattage and a power cable free for the card itself. You'll need at least 750W for the GTX.

Toodles

Badger

=CfC=Father Ted

Thanks for that offer, too Badger!  I would definitely need to replace my PSU as I think it's only 350W (it is an elderly machine!)  I am considering a general upgrade anyway - not only are the Cliffs of Dover on the horizon, but also Red Orchestra 2 and Combat Mission: Normandy.  All three are must-buys for me and all three will probably only operate as slide-shows on my current system.

If you're sure you'd not rather stick it on eBay (or keep for checking stuff - my kids' PC is kaput at the mo and I wanted a spare card to check that that wasn't the issue), I'll gladly have it.

Badgerton Smedly

Hi Ted

The package should have been delivered yesterday according to the tracking.  If you could confirm I'll tell the carrier pigeon to stand down, move away from the wall and take the blindfold off.

Cheers

Badger

=CfC=Bounder

I unscrewed my machine today, placed it on the dining table facing East and fitted a giant Magahalems cooler and my new 460GTX.

Still bowing and facing East, all lose wires were placed into something that seemed to hold them in and I then cranked up the 190-240 Volts here (depends on whether Manuel is having a siesta) and would you believe it...... I got my John Logie Baird "Welcome" screen and all is fine and dandy.

I can now read airspeed, altitude and oil temperature, see blades of grass....only downside is that my CPU runs so cold that I have had to re-connect the radiator in my study whereas before it was the warmest place in the house.

Next week, some chap is arriving to install a new "wireless internet service" (point a small aerial at the nearest hill, and I'm told that instead of getting 800kps, I will get 6Mps. Apparently, it will even replace my coffee tin on the end of a string telephone line.

It is just great to get into the modern era.....and now to get the new combustion engine to replace my steam driven car!

Boundfer ;D

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: Badgerton Smedly on February 11, 2011, 09:14:32 AM
The package should have been delivered yesterday according to the tracking.  If you could confirm I'll tell the carrier pigeon to stand down, move away from the wall and take the blindfold off.

Cheers

Badger

It has indeed arrived, Badger, thanks once again.  I need to swap out my PSU before I can test the card, but I'll let you know how it goes (or not!) as soon as I 've got it installed.

Ted

PS I couldn't find a return address - could you pm me so that I can refund the postage?

=CfC=Father Ted

Well it's in, nothing's melted yet and I've had a test flight. So thanks once again Badger.  Doesn't seem to haved improve my flying skills, but at least the the ground looks prettier as it zooms up to smash me in the face.

Don't know what I can offer in return, except perhaps adivce on cub-wrangling, but then mine are 11 and 13, so all that stuff is a distant memory.

Ted

Badgerton Smedly

Great news Ted!  Hope it enhances the imersion etc. of the game and all that!  If it's not quite hitting the spot then give us all a shout with regards to the best settings.

The card has excellent AA capabilities, so make the most of them.  The textures are good too.  Whilst I remember, I'm sure that there was a 8800 dll file to download and install with that series of card.  I'll have a poke around and mail it to you.

Badger

=CfC=Fitz

I must say chaps that it pleases me greatly to see everyone sharing bits and bobs and helping each other out. I may be straying from the rigid strictures of the stiff upper lip requirement but I'm honoured to be a part of such a splendid bunch of chaps.

Carry on......

Fitz

=CfC=Woof

I'v got deja vue all over me...