New Update

Started by =CfC=Father Ted, March 15, 2018, 06:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Father Ted

Update 3.001 is live.  Lots of goodies in it (eg draw-distance increased 4-fold), but perhaps most of interest to us is the inclusion of a MP coop mode and the ability to host a mission whilst in game (like we used to do with IL2 46).

CFC_Conky

Just saw this, great news!

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

So I've just had a very quick go and it does look tremendous.  Stuck the draw distance to max and the white wall of haze over the horizon is replaced by...the horizon.  Colours are very vibrant.  And so on.  I know a sim is more about FMs than scenery, but it sure helps the immersion when the world looks this real.  Actually, I also think the FM side of this is pretty solid too - at least as good as CloD and DCS.

Just need to find time to get into it properly...

=CfC=Bounder

Thanks Ted........waiting for the downloads to calm down as I gather it was very slow initially.

We will have to try and get a mission going one evening and refine our ballet moves 😁

Will try and download today.

Bounder

Storebror

Mixed feelings on my side.
Single player shows a couple of improvements, like the enhanced horizon and generally enhanced render distance, apart from aircraft - they still exist within the 10km "bubble" only.
New campaign system still has serious flaws.
Many users face lots of microstutter and sometimes massively decreased FPS all over.
To fight microstutters, one has to eable 4K textures (sic!) and depending on your GPU/Monitor combo, you might have to disable Fullscreen - this will still run the game in fullscreen visually if the resolution chosen matches your monitor resolution, but the internal logic is different. Irritating but true.
To fight FPS losses, you have to reset all settings to scratch and slowly raise them again as outlined here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/34764-jasons-quick-guide-to-3001-graphics-smoothness/

The biggest issue, and that's a complete no-go to me and I absolutely don't get how any game update could make it to a release with this bug, has been reported by me here...
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/34725-dserverexe-cpu-load-raised-significantly-with-3001-update/
...and here...
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/13160-multiplayer/?do=findComment&comment=588607

In a nutshell, it kills any dedicated server which is running missions with AI planes, because the CPU usage has been increased by factor 10-20.
And to top it off, dedicated servers without AI planes are affected as well, if only to a lower degree.
Currently all multiplayer server are somewhat unstable, living on the edge of their envelope.

That's incredible. I fully understand that a new version brings bugs, but this bug is so dangerous for the whole game, the damage caused by killing the multiplayer environment for some forseeable weeks can easily put an end to this whole genre.

It goes without saying that the newly "enabled" modding comes without documentation and devs don't let you decrypt the game files, the new player hosted game is working once in a thousand times, no one knows how to get that new coop mode to work etc. pp.

Cheers!
Mike
Learn. Challenge. Improve. -

=CfC=Bounder

Really sorry to hear that  Mike..... especially after all the work you have put in to get the server up and running.

Many thanks for posting the links and details of the issues after the new update.

Bounder

Storebror

No need to be sorry, I'm sure they will sort it out eventually.
Only thing I'm afraid of is that this drives away a significant number of frequent online players, and maybe a number of others (like VR players and those who have stutters regardless all the advices given) before the devs get the relevant patches done.
As Skylla pointed out, the 3.001 update feels like Jason rang the dev team two weeks ago and told them that they'd be fired if they don't finish that damned thing within a week.

Cheers!
Mike

CFC_Conky

Hi Chaps,

I've been giving the new version a go and so far it runs very smoothly. I enable 4K textures, reduced horizon draw distance to 70km (a more realistic view distance when flying at low altitude), and reduced cloud detail to medium. So far I'm getting a steady 60fpm.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Bounder

I get similar figures Conky but I believe the issues appear with increasing AI and especially in MP mode..........have not tried it in any detail but like you I have lowered horizon distance and enabled 4k as advised.
It is going to be a long haul but eventually I'm sure they will sort it. The variation in available maps and a/c type will still favour 1946 for some time I think.

Bounder

CFC_Conky

3.003 is up, Spit IX and 109G-14 are now playable  8).

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: CfC_Conky on May 31, 2018, 04:37:32 AM
...if you pre-order "Bodenplatte"

CFC_Conky

Quote from: =CfC=Father Ted on May 31, 2018, 10:09:53 PM
Quote from: CfC_Conky on May 31, 2018, 04:37:32 AM
...if you pre-order "Bodenplatte"

It’s only money Ted!  ;D

Storebror

The Spit is a beast.
See her in action here:
https://youtu.be/Iz1haZm3XP4

And note Skylla's Lumberjack skills at 11:00!

The 109 G14... Well... It's a 109. Not much more to say, just another Luftwhiner coffin :P

Cheers!
Mike