Server PC bits and bobs.

Started by Gizmo, November 18, 2010, 02:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Fitz, are you still looking for bits to make a server pc? If so I have...

A case, not big and previous owner has cut a hole in a side panel for a window. Don't have the window.
Can dig it out and measure if you want.

Q-Tec PSU 550w Dual Fan PFC.
Has 20 + 4 motherboard plug.

Nv 6800 Ultra AGP GPU

Nv 7900 GTX PCI-E GPU (factory overclocked)
Needs cooling unit re-attaching. (can't find the screws at the moment but will keep looking)

Corsair memory. 2 x 1gigs.

Anything of use?

=CfC=Fitz

Hi Gizmo,

I am indeed still contemplating putting together the server reasonably soon. Unfortunately I still haven't had my pay rise yet so I'm running up debts on my credit card that need paying off. I'm looking at around just after christmas to start ordering things.

The 7900 would be spot on as I'm going for a pcie job.

Couple of questions with regards to the rest. What size is the case? (ATX - or micro ATX) I'm trying to build a small unit as I'm a bit short on space and my current machine takes up half the living room. And what sort of RAM is it? DDR, DDR2, DDR3? (DDR2 is preferable I think)

Ta,

Fitz

Gizmo

Hmph, don't know what I was thinking offering the 7900. The reason it came out was because it broke so should have gone for recycling long ago.
Sorry about that.

The case is ATX
L = 18"
W = 8"
H = 16 1/2"

Memory is only DDR I'm afraid.

=CfC=Bounder

I still have my 7600GT in it's box.

I'll be in UK on the 9th. December so could post it.

Bounder

=CfC=Fitz

Thanks Bounder, the 7600 should do nicely. I only really need something to take the graphics away from the cpu. I'll be running the server game at it's lowest settings but any cpu devoted to running graphics is a drawback.

My main issue is the cpu as I want the fastest one I can get hold of. I'm hoping for a minimum for 3Ghz. The rest isn't as important, though I'm looking to upgrade my internet connection once the server is built. 50mb up and 5mb down should be pretty good for our use  ;D

pip pip,

Fitz

nb - is it pcie?

=CfC=Bounder

Yup...it's PCIE....still in original box.

I'll post it (from UK)  on around the 10th. Dec. from UK so you will have it by about the 12th.

Bounder :)

=CfC=Fitz

GPU turned up today, thanks Bounder!!

I'll price up a server machine in the january sales and hopefully I'll have us a dedicated server running soon  ;D

Anyone else with any spare bits and bobs they don't need, let me know as they might help.

pip pip,

Fitz

Badgerton Smedly

Hey Fitzy

If you're going to run a dedicated server using the dedi software, it won't be running any graphics.  It's a daemon.

Badger

=CfC=Fitz

I thought co-ops still needed the main program?

Badgerton Smedly

Hi Fitz

Co-ops do indeed need the main program and you certainly can play co-ops from your dedicated server if you have a second set of trackir, joystick etc fitted, or a hub, but you can't run the dogfight dedicated server software and play from the same machine. You play from a different machine in your router network and specify a loopback IP which is in the server config file. That's why I used to have a dummy co-op pilot (Chuffysheroes) on the server machine or it meant housing a second set of peripherals on my desk etc. Does this make sense?

Using the server as a remote peice of kit was great for a full time DF server, but it did mean a bit of extra fiddling with an extra 'player' for co-ops. The advantage was that the older machine could be given the best performance by switching off the sound and bringing the graphics down to basic level so the cpu could concentrate on doing the math.

Having an extra player (Chuffysheroes) does mean an extra load on the server, but I always either killed him off, bailed him out or had him as a gunner on a Havoc which was coming into land as we were going on-mission.  After landing the plane just sat there and Chuffysheroes took his place in the Squadron's morris dancing first eleven.

Badger

=CfC=Bounder

Glad the GPU arrived OK.

I'm sure with Badger's help you will be up and running in the New Year...but there is really no rush I think....so no pressure Old Chap.

Reading some of the stuff on the forums about servers is like studying a new language......should be interesting.

Hope you will manage to join us one evening before Christmas Badger?

Bounder ;D

Badgerton Smedly

Will certainly try Bounder old terrapin!  Pilot Officer Cubbly is certainly easier nowadys, but work has taken over most of my time!

It took me 3 months of hobby time to research and put together the blasted %$*^" DF server.  It's a time absorbing peice so no one has the time to spend telling you about it.  You can have it all together and it still won't work because of 1 fiddley switch in the ini file hasn't been tweaked and no one knows to set it because its down to your own local config.

The nuiances around the PC config is dependant on the home network and ISP which adds to the pain.  It is an interesting experience, but if you do want it up and running sooner, do shout.  :)

Badger