Online flying

Started by CFC_Conky, March 02, 2016, 07:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFC_Conky

Hi Chaps,

Great fun earlier today! I have to say, it is a lot of work to get close enought to a 109 to score good hits when flying the Yak now that they have tweaked the fm. OPnce my speed was gone it was very hard to regain sufficient energy to turn hard or climb. Since I'm a bit of a masochist, I might try the Lagg-3 next time  ;D. My biggest challenge however is navigation; the maps, while good are still not as detailed as the charts I used years ago flying in the bush (1:500,000, or 1 inch to the mile).

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Bounder

Certainly going to take a while to get used to this sim.
For me the elevator trimming is pretty diabolical in that I have to switch between my trim wheel for the 109 and the hat switch for others and none of them trim to the extent that is normally available. Sticking to flying one type is clearly going to be an attraction......and I understand why so many chose the 190/109.
Like Woof I'm finding it difficult to get the control settings to a point where the nose moves with input. It is almost as if there is a built in delay leading to PIO.....must have another go at changing the settings.
I noticed reading the forum that many chaps use SweetFX to help make seeing the opposition easier. I gather that this prog.  Refines the graphics to enable changes in contrast and brightness. No time to try it now but will have a look at it at some point.
Very steep learning curve.
Hope that Woof can get his CH profiles sorted. If you visit him during your course it will no doubt help alot.
Bounder.

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: =CfC=Bounder on March 02, 2016, 09:28:09 AM

Very steep learning curve.

I think that BoS, like any game which aims to simulate a real-world environment with any fidelity, actually has two learning curves.  The first is in getting to grips with the way in which the game tries to enable you to interact with the virtual world, and the second is how you react to the game as if it were the real thing.  I think that what you're struggling with is the first one, and, since you are an actual aviator, the second curve should be less steep once you conquer that first one.  So what I'm saying is stick at it chap!

CFC_Conky

Hi Bounder,

By default, BoS has different key assignments for elevator trim using trim tabs and adjustable horizontal stabilizer. I mapped both functions to one key so I don't have to switch.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Bounder

Quote from: CfC_Conky on March 02, 2016, 07:47:38 PM
Hi Bounder,

By default, BoS has different key assignments for elevator trim using trim tabs and adjustable horizontal stabilizer. I mapped both functions to one key so I don't have to switch.

Pip, pip,
Conky

Problem with the X52 Conky is that the trim wheels are assigned an "axis" so will not bind to the keystrokes for trim in the Yak and others. I have managed to get the variable stab in the 109 to bind but the 190 requires two separate entries and so I only get one direction (either up trim or down trim but not both). At the moment I'm using hat switch for the Yak and others including the 190 and revert to trim axis on my elevator trim for the 109.....all very confusing!

Bounder

CFC_Conky

Hi Bounder,

An instructive, albeit short prang today. The La-5 is faster than the Yak but does not turn as well. It accelerates better too so when I used flaps to try and stay with your turn I was able to recover energy quickly once I got too slow. The La-5 has boost which is quite effective, not to mention handy, at low altitude and I did not have any overheating issues. In the end, my only real advantage over you was when you would lose sight of me, then I could get into a better position although you were very hard to catch. I would suggest you start climbing when you lose sight because, if starting co-energy, the F4 will out climb everything in BoS.

Next time we fly, if you go VVS, I'll take up a 109E or MC202, since they are not at uber as the F4 and to a lesser extent, the G2

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC=Bounder

Good to have a go with my changed flight control settings which I think are as good as I can get them.
Clearly the F4 is a difficult adversary against the Russian machinery and I'm sure that was the case in real life.
My eyesight is probably my biggest hinderence to giving anyone a good fight as I lose sight during a tail chase usually after the automatic glance down to read instruments which is cast in my genes!
Great fun though and look forward to trying the Yak. Have only done a circuit in the LA5 so will read up how to operate it.

Bounder

Storebror

Hi folks,

Let me have some thread necromancy here 8)
Now that BoX has improved a lot during the past months and years, how about getting into the air together?
Just for fun, just to see how everything works together and to check the feasibility of further efforts in this direction?
Vincent (SAS~Skylla) and me have had a 1-hour-session last week and it's been fun to fly on a public but empty frogs server (empty so no one sees when we... guess it :P).
I'd be glad if we could repeat such session once in a while.

At the same time let me say that - most of you will know about it - we have a dedicated windows server running where there should be some free capacity to operate a BoX server on.
The Hardware we use has a quad core CPU with 12GB RAM, only one core is busy with the UP3 "Flying Ass Clowns" server since IL-2 1946 is strictly single threaded, and as much as I understand from a technical point of view, the BoX dedicated server currently is single core only as well (unfortunately one must say), so they should live side by side just fine.
I've applied for a Dedi Server license @1CGS and received it today, so if we decide to go full steam BoX, we have that option now as well.

So... if you're interested to have an online BoX session together, please reply and state your preferred (and maybe earliest and latest) timeframe so we can arrange something for all of us.

Cheers!
Mike
Learn. Challenge. Improve. -

skylla

Quoteempty so no one sees when we... guess it
trash their ships & AI planes?

yeah, we're definitely not gonna pay for those :P

It is definitely cool to fly BoX together .. if for nothing else, then at least for the eye candy. One can say what he wants, but this sim for sure does look good!
Flying in formation never was that appealing!

Best Regards
skylla

=CfC=Bounder

Hi Mike and Skylla.......

We are quite low on regular numbers now but we do have a handful of CfC chaps with BOS although none of us have flown it for quite some time.

We normally login to the SAS server around 1800 CUT (GMT) on Tuesdays and Thursdays so tomorrow night I will speak with the chaps and see if we can get things together for a session with you.

At the moment I only have BOS basic without BOM or any other add-ons but with current developments I think we may all start to look at getting a few more bits and pieces.

Many thanks for inviting us to join you and after talking tomorrow night on TS I will post as to when and how many might be able to join in.

Bounder

CFC_Conky

Depending on my work schedule, pretty much any time could work for me. Just it it up and I'll try to join you  8).

Conky

P.S. Don't worry about only having the basic sim Bounder, except for additional kites, it should run just fine.

=CfC=Woof

I'd love to join in the fun, but I still don't have my controls sorted properly...

I'v got deja vue all over me...

John Cartwright

Can't run Bos...........:(
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

Storebror

Quote from: =CfC=Bounder on November 27, 2017, 10:09:57 PM
We normally login to the SAS server around 1800 CUT (GMT) on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Sounds viable.
We're GMT+1 here in germany at winter times, so this would be 1900 for Skylla and me, basically the time we meet anyway - if we do. It's a random thing :P

Quote from: BalDaddy on November 28, 2017, 09:44:18 AM
Can't run Bos
HDD space all occupied by ροяη? 8)

Cheers!
Mike
Learn. Challenge. Improve. -

=CfC=Bounder

Oops.....brain dying as well as eyes😖....,we are on winter time here also so I should have said 2000 CUT (GMT)..... don't know where I got 1800 from.
I usually login about 1945 to TS and Woof also with others joining by 2000.

Bounder