Oh NO...Windows logon virus!

Started by =CfC=Bounder, October 21, 2010, 11:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Bounder

Here a classic tale of schoolboy error!

Yesterday, I tried to download the "Unlock FMB" prg. from SAS (it enables you to see spawn points on the maps). As mentioned in the forum, you get a trogan warning when using Avast anti-virus...but it is a false positive and a good anti-virus like Norton etc. will see through this. Avira anti virus was mentioned as an alternative, so I installed that.........but:-

I DID NOT USE THE AVIRA MAIN SITE FOR THE DOWNLOAD!!

Well, having installed this bogus copy of Avira, I was able to download from Mediafire the Unlock FMB prog and it works well.

Following on from that I ran a complete system scan with Avira. it picked up two items ...Windows logon and Windows Explorer as having problems...having .removed them it then installed the Windows logon virus!!

This morning.........Nada...blue screen with Windows logon error!

Although I may have been able to fix it myself with a Windows Repair, I took it to my computer guy and hope to have it back this afternoon.

The lesson is so simple.....Only download anti-virus software from the manufacturer's web site!

Dear oh Dear!

Bounder ???

=CfC=Woof

Bad luck, Bounder.  Hope it's fixed soon.

I'v got deja vue all over me...

=CfC=Bounder

Lesson learnt and all fixed....but I had to load all the drivers again and my Windows XP disk is vintage 2002 so the wretched machine has been updating full time.

Interestingly, my TR/IR 5 software is now causing considerable stutters and using 32000 thingmagigs of memory! Changing back to V4 software has cured it and it only uses half the amount of memory! Woof...I remember you having a similar problem? Are you still using V4 with your new rig?

Stiill have visitors here , so see ye all on Thursday.

Bounder ;D

=CfC=Woof

No, Bounder I installed V5 and it's been working fine.  Latest update just yesterday.

I'v got deja vue all over me...

=CfC=Bounder

Fixed TR/IR!

Went to the Natural Point forum and realised that you should run V5 software in "minimised" mode to avoid a huge CPU demand. This is selectable at the top left in one of the options.

All working fine now.

Bounder ;D