Another good prang today Ted!

Started by CFC_Conky, June 03, 2015, 10:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFC_Conky

Quote from: BalDaddy on June 18, 2015, 12:00:51 AM
Ah well; had a few interesting scraps but didn't see much action. In fact i nodded off during a long uneventful pootle (well it was nearly midnight!) and got rudely awakened by a DVII's chattering Spandaus

That last map was brutal BD, sun in our eyes, facing hordes of DVII's flown by those devils from Jasta 2 & 5  :P

It was fun going round the patch with you however  :D.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: BalDaddy on June 18, 2015, 12:00:51 AM
... didn't see much action. In fact i nodded off during a long uneventful pootle...

Unfortunately it is one of the drawbacks of RoF MP (unless you go to "the silly place" where the reverse is the problem).  I have to admit that if I'm on my own I generally get fed up after a couple of sorties - about an hour or so.  Talking of being on my own, have you tried TS recently BD?

CFC_Conky

That's why I fly the two-seaters when they are available. Getting the recon missions done will sometimes unlock additional aircraft and ground attack targets are usually wide open to attack and are good practice for the more 'serious' server missions. Barring that, hanging around friendly balloons will generally yield a fight or two.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

Had another prang with Zigrat last night.  It's incredible the disparity in ability between us.  Mostly what happened was that he shot someone down and I got shot down while trying to "help".  And often he would save me having offed his own target.  And we were flying SEs at about 1500' over the mud.  The only thing I can offer in my defence is that it was 23.00 here and I was most of the way down my Stella "pour le fridge" pack...

CFC_Conky

Hi Ted,

Thanks for helping us get down in one piece this evening! I really like the F2B, it climbs well and is fairly maneuverable. We'll have to switch seats next time.

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC=Father Ted

Well, historically it was a beast of a machine, so we ought to be able to get some kills.  As to who should fly, I really don't know.  No false modesty here, but my thought was that you were the better option with the stick.  That said I was pretty disappointed that I didn't manage to at least damage our assailant, so maybe we should switch seats.

CFC_Conky

Quote from: =CfC=Father Ted on June 21, 2015, 11:20:11 PM
Well, historically it was a beast of a machine, so we ought to be able to get some kills.  As to who should fly, I really don't know.  No false modesty here, but my thought was that you were the better option with the stick.  That said I was pretty disappointed that I didn't manage to at least damage our assailant, so maybe we should switch seats.

When I'm at work we usually alternate flying legs so you're next!  ;D

I've also got to figure out how to reload the Lewis guns, on the SE5 I sometimes see the magazine vanish then reappear. I'll have to have a look at the key mappings again. I also wonder if using a single Lewis is more effective from an aiming standpoint, though you are limited to sixty rounds per drum.

At least it appears our pairs work and aircraft and navigation skills are improving  8).

Pip, pip,
Conky

CFC_Conky

Roffed a bit today Ted, bagged a Camel in a Pfalz, damaged a HP and forced a Spad into ripping his wings off. Got shot up twice but was able to limp back to base. A pretty good session all around.

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC=Father Ted

Coincidentally, I've just finished a RoF session - nowhere near as successful as yours, mind.  I was on TS with a guy I've mentioned before, Zigrat, and another chap, so it was educational, but I was a little embarrassed by own ineptitude...

CFC_Conky

Hi Ted,

Were you flying for the King or the Kaiser? I'm doing my best to stay away from the Alby DV and Fokker DVII. I rathe like the Pfalz DIIIa; good, but not great although a nice stable gun platform, decent visibility too. I like to think that opponents underestimate it as well.

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC=Father Ted

Unless the odds are stacked I generally fly for the King, and usually in the SE5a.  Part of yesterday's problem was that the guys I was flying with were happy to go looking for trouble at low alt, and I just can't tangle with anyone in the SE.

Also, thinking about it, there may be a disadvantage to flying with others you don't know well - a lot of my SA was taken up by the social side of things, plus trying to work out where my colleagues were.  We've flown together enough, and on the same maps in IL2, that there is a certain amount of shorthand for locations and what we're doing.  But in RoF, with strangers, I'm a bit taxed.

CFC_Conky

Hi Ted,

As far as navigation goes, I find the map in ROF very accurate. It has taken a while to get used to flying so slowly but I've gone back to my old bush pilot days and do fairly well. Basically, the map square are 10km wide and at a rough cruising speed of 150im/h this translates to roughly 4 minutes to cross a square. Being a bit off on speed doesn't really matter since you'll be able to see your anticipated ground feature even if you are a bit off using the aforementioned formula. The trick is to start navigating as soon as you take off; note your heading and any clearly visible ground features and you should be alright. Luckily, airbases, factories and the like are easy to spot and using my LAR (looks about right) method of dead reckoning means I can usually make my way home even through an oil-spattered windscreen.

Pip, pip,
Conky

CFC_Conky

Hi Ted,

We really cleaned up today  8)! Some of the chaps we were flying with are very sharp aren't they?

I'm still rocking a k/d ration north of 1, which apparently puts me in the minority of pilots on Wargounds  ;D.

I'm beginning to quite like the SE5a although it could use a second Vickers on the cowling.

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC=Father Ted

I've been Jasta fodder enough times to enjoy reading the bleatings about "gangs of SEs on TS" in the chat - fun times indeed!  Definitely a much better experience than lone-wolfing, especially with Zigrat on our team.

I need to work out my gunnery.  I find it much harder than IL2, particularly the lack of visual feedback of bullet-strikes.

John Cartwright

Agreed on that Ted regarding gunnery, especially with offset or top wing armament. One feels one has really achieved something if one downs a Hun, especially online! A sense of satisfaction missing somewhat on the SAS server, unless it is one of Conky's prangs of course :)

Various offspring will be returning to their place of studies shortly, so hopefully our meagre bandwith will be mine! All mine!!

Bit miffing that barely half a mile away they have full fibre service. Contemplating digging a wee trench with some long jump leads therein.
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940