It's been six months

Started by CFC_Conky, May 27, 2015, 12:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFC_Conky

Since the last post about SC.

Anybody playing AC, bought new ships, etc?

Pip, pip,
Conky
in spaaaaaaace  ;D
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Badgerton Smedly

Haven't got it Conkers, is it worth a go?

I've got Elite: Dangerous tho' which is a bit dull if truth be told..... :)

CFC_Conky

What ho Badger!

SC is still in the development phase. They have something called Arena Commander (AC) which is basically a mini-game where some of the ships, weapons and control schemes can be tested, sometimes resulting in the devs adjusting this or that. It's a bit of a free-for-all at the moment.

When released you won't need a ship to play the game, you'll be able to earn credits to purchase and upgrade ships. The game is being crowd-funded however, mostly through ship sales and some 'Citizen' are into to it to the tune of tens of thousand dollars.

So far the game is a real looker in the eye-candy department and there is an AC mode called 'Vandal Swarm', which is fun. 50 quid or so will get you started with something you can fight with. The game itself won't be released until sometime in 2016.

Is it worth a go? Hard to say at the moment but as long as you resist the urge to spend the Badgerling's college fund on ships, why not?

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Fitz

Hi Badger,

I'd leave it unless you really want to get in at the backer stage. As Conky has said, it's still in development and there is little to do at the moment other than a small arena battle mode. When I got in, there was still some issue over the game being funded and I backed to help ensure it was made, I don't think that this is still an issue with nearly $100M being raised so far.

You will likely get the final game cheaper if you back now but not by a huge amount so in short: If you really like the idea of the game, back now and have a play on what is available and add your feedback to development. If you aren't sure, just sit back and wait for release, though it may be a while!

Fitz

CFC_Conky

Anyone still paying attention?  :D

=CfC=Fitz

Oh yes, the multicrew demo from Gamescon was really good. Exactly what I was hoping for when I heard about SC.

CFC_Conky

Hi Fitz,

I've only been paying enough attention to get a Super Hornet and Mustang Delta for my hangar.

Shhhhhh, don't tell the Admiral!  ;)

Pip, pip,
Conky
in spaaaaaaace

=CfC=Fitz

I'm actually having a bit of a dilemma after the Gamescon presentation. I was going to pick up an X55 to replace my now defunct X52 pro, but with the SC HOTAS being created with the track balls for gimballed weapon aiming I'm thinking of holding off replacing my stick until it's released. That likely means I'll be without a stick for much longer though....

Just not sure I can justify £150 for a temporary stick until the SC ones are released.

CFC_Conky

Hi Fitz,

A lot of aggro over Saitek/Mad Catz build quality on the forums. Not an easy decision since it is now quite apparent that current flight sim hotas rigs are not the best solution for SC.

The newer hotas stuff is pretty expensive as well so you have to choose carefully. I might just pick up a spare set of CH gear for the inevitable day when my current rig goes south.

...I might have to hide it at your place though, so the Admiral stays in the dark!   :D

What are you doing up so late?!

Pip, pip,
Conky
In spaaaace

=CfC=Fitz

It's only 10pm!

I know my X52 has finally given up but it cost about £150 many years ago so it hasn't done too bad. But yes SC demands a different set up from a regular sim so I don't want to spend a lot now and then have to spend the same again or more not long afterwards. It does though mean I'm controller less for some time  :'(

CFC_Conky

Oh yeah, it is only 10pm   :P

I don't blame you for waiting on a new hotas, unless you can get a smoking deal on eBay for an x52, I'd wait as well.

John Cartwright

Has both units of your HOTAS gone tits-up Fitz?
My venerable X45 joystick is u/s but i have combined the throttle part with a Cyborg X which cost £20.00 which seems to function quite well if you grease her up well (bit like some old girlfriends really)
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

=CFC=Glue

baldaddy nifty pedals..

your old days girls must have bin wild..

good day sirs !

hot on your tail....whoops your tail's'gone..

=CfC=Fitz

Quote from: BalDaddy on August 19, 2015, 11:59:39 AM
Has both units of your HOTAS gone tits-up Fitz?
My venerable X45 joystick is u/s but i have combined the throttle part with a Cyborg X which cost £20.00 which seems to function quite well if you grease her up well (bit like some old girlfriends really)

The main problem is the link between the stick and throttle is knacked, but there are a couple of other problems. I've had to adjust the dead zones on my stick and now pedals to such an extend that there is a huge dead zone in the middle and extremes of movement that it is pretty much impossible to fly with.

The throttle is in better condition but the actual throttle lever refuses to zero. It seems to start somewhere around 15-20% and means idling and stopping when on the ground is impossible without brakes. Sadly the brakes on the pedals are also now playing up meaning I nose over almost always on landing and regularly on taxi and take off.

If I get time at some point, I'll try taking it all to bits and giving it a good clean. Both HOTAS and pedals have gone through a lot of punishment for several years in a house with multiple cats and lived through years when I was still smoking so they are probably full of gunk. I've got nothing to lose at this point! If I was a bit more confident I think I'd try soldering the connecting cable from the throttle to stick directly as this has been a major PITA for a year or so.

Giving it credit though, it's lasted well considering! I've had cars that didn't last this long....

CFC_Conky