Anti-virus effect on old UP3 exe

Started by =CfC=Bounder, December 04, 2013, 09:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Bounder

Recently I changed my anti-virus to Avast after seeing the enormous drain on resources used by Microsoft Essentials.

After completing all the updates to the new installation, the first time I ran IL-2 RC4 it swallowed both the IL-2 exe file and original mod activator during a warning that it found these files suspicious.

I remember seeing a thread on this a few years ago when UP3 first came out and it seems that some AV progs. still find these files  dodgy.

The fix is to download and install the latest Mod Activator from SAS (the one that runs UP3)

Before installing it, DO CREATE A RESTORE POINT so that if things go wrong you can at least save the original files....or backup the files that you are replacing after "exploring" the files in the download.

Here is the link:-

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,16403.0.html

Bounder :-\

CFC_Conky

Interesting Bounder, I use MSE for the exact reason that it's supposed to be easier on resources, and so far I've found this to be the case but I do certainly stand to be corrected.

Perhaps our alpha-computer nerd Fitz (a compliment! ;D) can pipe in on this.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC= Binks

I use Avast too, and haven't had any problems that I recall, but then again, my memory doesn't log such things, as its already over stretched with my other activities  ;)

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

=CfC=Bounder

Unfortunately I still have a "Coal fired" system running XP (until early next year) and I have constantly tried to reduce resource hogging progs.

MSE does get rather a poor write-up in the reviews available online and one of the criticisms is its use of resources.

If you open Task Manager you will be able to see how much your AV is burning in resources. MSE was consuming a VM figure of 196,000 before I got rid of it and used Avast.

Here is my current use showing the Avast figure at less than half of MSE:-

To be honest, if you are using Windows 7 with 8GB memory and quad cores it won't make the slightest noticeable difference, but what seems to be happening with the old UP3 exe files is the failure of AV progs. to update old exe records resulting in the false positives.

SAS has always advised updating their Mod Activators and I think they are probably right.

Palmtree experienced this issue on Sunday evening.

Worth backing up your IL-2.exe file and probably renewing your Mod Activator also.

Bounder :-\