IR holder for Freetrack (or Teletubby fancy dress)

Started by =CfC=Father Ted, June 21, 2013, 02:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Father Ted

Hopefully this can act as a bit of inspiration for those who don't want to spend £150 on TrackIR, yet still want to be able to have headtracking.

The first pic shows the construction before wiring is added.  I used a strong household glue to affix the IR LEDS.  This wasn't my preferred method as ideally I'd like to be able to replace them if they fail.  The wire coat hanger was attached to the clip with glue and reinforced with a thread binding

This picture shows it in situ.  The wiring is a bit untidy and at risk from snagging, but it's functional.

I made this because my Track-clip Pro broke and required sticky-tape, Blutac and matches to keep it together.  The tape and Blutac periodically lost adhesion, so the attitude of the LEDs would vary, causing the headtracking to get unpredicatable.  The home-build is solid, but adjustable if need be because the wire can be bent.

The cost is minimal, especially if you already  have a soldering iron and the few tools required.  The webcam I use is a MS VX-3000, which was £15, so the total outlay was less than £20.

I'll be happy to explain in more detail if anyone wants to have a try at this.

Mak

Hallo Father Ted
After being inspired by your headset I have been attempting to build one of my own. Ive started with a single LED system which I have got working after a fashion and now intend to press on to a three LED setup in the best Heath Robinson tradition. Can you tell me, if the LED's are not exactly spaced as in the manuel, can the software be ajusted to cope?
Yours
Mak

=CfC=Father Ted

Re our chat this evening, here's the link to Opentrack: https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack.  Doesn't look very inviting, but I'm going to check out the features

Gizmo

I say Ted, that second pic, are you plugging your head into the mains?

=CfC=Father Ted

I did consider it this evening Gizmo...

It's actually an Apple USB-mains adapter.  I read somewhere using this is safer than using a USB port on your PC to power the fairy lights.  Safer for your PC, that is - some sort of bodge on the soldering front could fry your mobo.

Mak

Quote from: =CfC=Father Ted on January 28, 2014, 07:11:07 PM
Re our chat this evening, here's the link to Opentrack: https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack.  Doesn't look very inviting, but I'm going to check out the features

Thanks Ted, I will have a read.
Mak

CFC_Conky

I bet you're very popular with the ladies when you wear that thing FT!  ;D

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

It's the only thing that keeps me from having to beat them off with a stick!

=CfC=Fitz

If you make the LED's flash, you can hypnotise them and bend them to your will (Insert Evil laugh here)