Channel Map?

Started by =CfC=Father Ted, December 26, 2012, 12:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Father Ted

Any takers for this so far?  I've been reading mixed reviews, but after decoding the various fixed agendas ("it's RoF, it must be crap!" v "It's RoF it must be perfect!"), it seems a bit muffed up.  Still, I'm tempted to part with some cash as I'm now excluded from some servers when they have the Channel map on.  At that point I think, "Hang on a minute, Jason said this wouldn't divide the MP player-base..." and yet it feels like I'm being coerced into this.  Maybe I'll wait for a sale - mind you if they have any sense they'll never put this in the sale...

CFC_Conky

While I've bought nearly all the aircraft and/or mods, I think $20 for a map and only that is not very good value; perhaps if they added some new/better campaigns I would have a look, but not now.

On the other hand, if all the good servers move to the Channel map...

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC= Silverback

It's not bad but it's not great, more a bomber map than a fighter thing. Vary cool sinking subs and convoys... and you just about have to have it to fly the Syn and NW servers. I'll be ROFing this Friday see ya there.

CFC_Conky

Hey SB!

The Channel map will eventually make its way to my hard drive, I just hope I can get more than just a map for my twenty bucks, like one or more of the floatplanes.

See ya,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

Well, despite my first post, I caved.  For a Brit, it is nice to be able to fly over Blighty.  Like SB says, I'm not sure how much use it'll get as a fighter v fighter map once the novelty wears off, but at the moment you pretty much need it to get on the populated servers

As far as looks and performance go, I think it's not bad at all.

Badgerton Smedly

All we need is a spitfire and a 109 to go on it.... ;) :D

=CfC=Father Ted

Resisted the urge to mention that Badger!  Does augur well for any potential sequels to BoS, though

Badgerton Smedly

Certainly does Ted. Santa left me some Chrimbo money so I may have a go! I'll be on with you and SB next week after I've got to grips with the CEM. I'm a bit lazy with that on RoF!  :-[

I'll have to practice some Gotha bashing without getting ripped to shreds by the gunners!  :-\

CFC_Conky

Oh, alright then, I'll get out my credit card.... :D

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: Badgerton Smedly on December 27, 2012, 04:11:15 PM
I'll be on with you and SB next week after I've got to grips with the CEM. I'm a bit lazy with that on RoF!  :-[

Afraid I'll miss Roffing tonight (28th), but will try to have a go Sat.

Badger, the CEM in RoF isn't eaxctly "C".  Mixture to rich to start 'er up, then lean it by degrees as you go higher.  I always leave the throttle on max when climbing or cruising.  Watch your rev counter to check that the mixture is at the "sweet spot" for your altitude. I tend to leave the rad open.  The hardest thing is to remember to throttle back (or blip) when diving in a fight.

Badgerton Smedly

Ted, I'm fully CEM'd up! I've been practicing tonight and I still can't shoot straight. I was so close to the Gotha that I broke my prop on what I think was the rear gunner. I'd like to say that it was careful flying but I was trying to shoot him and not give him a shave.  :-\

Well I think I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I bought the Channel map but didn't see it on the quick mission menu. I'll have to read up a bit I think. On the plus side I was kicking some Dr1 botty which is fairly promising.  :)

Time to give Harry Hun 6 of the best, trousers down I think.

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: Badgerton Smedly on December 28, 2012, 04:41:20 PM
I still can't shoot straight.

You need to consult SB or Palmtree about that, I've no idea - I just like flying about.

As regards the Channel map in QMB, you can choose the location via a drop-down menu at top right.  Until I got the new map, I didn't even realise there was that option :-[

=CfC= Silverback

It's not a bad idea to get the Fantasy island map also, it is vary pretty and free.

Badgerton Smedly

Thanks Ted, I found the map after looking properly!

Not bad at all!  :)

I'm practicing my marksmanship on balloons at the moment. They deviate about as much as a bomber, but they're armour plated apparently.  :D

=CfC= Silverback

Badger the trick to shoot down balloons is to let them come to you. With the balloons winching down you no longer have to climb to meet them. Just let it fill your sight and give it a 4 second burst and poof one big fireball (and a lot of attention).