Online Adventures over Blighty - Mission 6

Started by Badgerton Smedly, November 25, 2012, 03:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badgerton Smedly

Tally Ho Gents!

After over a week of sick time in the Squadron hospital, Matron's coffee enema's finally did the trick and I was able to commence again on ATAG operations.

The following is a tale of blind luck as I nearly came a cropper because of cockiness and not paying attention!

I took off from Eastchurch again because it offers the best over from tip-and-run 109's but is close enough to the action so a pilot doesn't get bored during transit!  I followed my usual route along the north Kent coast, covering Ramsgate and MAnston at a bout angels 8 before heading south past Dover and Folkestone.  All was quite and there was no action to be had at all.

GC announced that a radar site had been attacked near Littlestone in grid C7, so off I trotted as fast as my MkIIa would take me.  Alas, any enemy AC had gone by the time I got there, but after 5 minutes I saw flak bursts going off below.

As hard as I tried, I couldn't see anything to chase, so I kept my height and then "BANG", My own gunners seemed to be putting a bead on me!

I performed a full turn but could see nothing, but then the flak bursts climbs and then I saw them - Contacts, probably bombers 12 o'clock high!!!

It took 7 or 8 minutes to get into position, but when I did I let rip and gave the Blighter what for!!

After more punishment he went down in a steep right-hand dive - the pilot must have bought it!

Now this is where I was very, very lucky!!  Not checking my tail, I then started on the doomed 88's flight leader.

I took out the gunners and then just bobbed and weaved behind him taking shots at my leisure!

As the warning tracers came through to warn me of low ammo, I noticed tracer spiraling past my starboard wing!  Then I looked around!

It was a 109 and I was nearly winchester!!  There was only one thing for it - Head for the deck!!  Tip over, coarse prop and here I go!!

Not wanting to lose his energy, the 109 left me to scoot off.  I think that if it had been a more experienced pilot I would have been done for!  Luckly I made it back to Eastchurch to count my blessings.

A very fortunate jaunt from which I claim 1 Ju88 destroyed and 1 Ju88 damaged.

What was very annoying on this sortie was a green hue which turned what I assume was grey smoke to green!!!  Highly irregular!!

Any way, I'll update my scores.

Badger out.

=CfC=Father Ted

I made my online debut at the same time as Badger was performing the heroics described above.  My experience was  akin to a mission on the RoF Syndicate server, for those who know what that means.

On my first go I had a brief glimpse of a 109 which tore a few holes in my Spit, necessitating an emergency put in at Manston which resulted in a ground loop.

My second sortie was less eventful, but I did navigate to Canterbury and land a serviceable crate.

For those yet to try CloD, I'd say it's worth a go in terms of atmosphere, if not in-yer-face dogfighting action.  It looks pretty good, the Merlin sounds fantastic and the CEM isn't as daunting as I thought it would be.

I had issues with my Freetrack being a bit stuttery - but that may be inapplicable to TIR users

Badgerton Smedly

Well done Ted!  A few holes mean nothing in the online side of the sim! I'd search on the nana forum for that Freetrack issue. TrackIR seems to be OK.

The CEM is manageable.  It's the temperature on the Allied side that needs the attention.  Maybe it's just the attitude I go into the mission, but allow an hour and the action I experience compares to the accounts I read about. It is all about online pilot skill, but the immersion is good. 

If you do have a pop be prepared to spend 55 minutes out of the hour just pootling around angels 5 to angels 20 without action and than for the 5 minutes twisting an turning like a twisty-turny-thing.

If it wasn't for the splendid bottle of white burgandy I've just had with my dinner I'd be up there now!!  "Doc - bring me a shot of benzadrine!" :)