Building airbases

Started by CFC_Conky, January 24, 2011, 06:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFC_Conky

Hi Bounder,

Thanks for the hints regarding building airbases, so far none of the test runways are showing up as red stripes in-game a la Fifi's strip. This should make the upcoming New Guinea campaign much easier to manage through much shorter flight times. The only drawback is populating the new bases, which can be very time consuming.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Fitz

Conky,

The red air field issue only appears to clients. If you are hosting the game you don't see it so you may find that they still appear in a co-op.

pip pip,

Fitz

CFC_Conky

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Palmtree

Watch Your Six!

Holder of the largest Bar Tab 1940

CFC_Conky

Quote from: =CfC=Palmtree on January 24, 2011, 08:01:01 PM
Quote from: CfC_Conky on January 24, 2011, 07:54:00 PM
Oh shit...

That shows up too!   ;)

How about this:

Shit, bugger, buggery shit, willy, buggery willy shit bugger damn! :D

With any luck, the 4.101 patch will be out before the campaign starts.

=CfC=Bounder

Splendid to see the English language so well utilised in all its forms.....

Re building airfields.......In 4.10 you have the ability to copy/paste/rotate a number of objects, so it is worth making a template airfield (or two/three) so that you can copy these into missions and use again. I will certainly use this feature when UP upgrades to 4.10. It helped enormously with building the 46 Quick missions for CfC DF maps.

The method of using this function is partially written in the guide and requires a couple of entries in your conf. file. There are a few posts on how to use it as it is not particularly user friendly.

With regard to the red invisible runways:- I changed all mine to runway 4 (thinest) for online use, then placed a HB over the top to create a "friction area" utilising the MDS GUI. Setting for friction needs to be 1.6 for aircraft like the Spitfire with small wheels. The HB will not show up in the co-op mission, but it will provide a friction area for landing within the HB circle as long as the ground is relatively flat. You can lay runway 5/6 first to see how flat the ground is (red area visible) then change to runway 4+HB to get the minimum red area visible. This runway (4) needs to be offset from the landing area and protected from taxiing by trees/objects or it will cause an accident. The idea is to use the friction area within the HB circle as the landing area and not the invisible runway.........hope that makes sense!

Happy laying......errrr....did I say that?

Bounder ;D

CFC_Conky

Thanks for that Bounder, how do I make a coop mission mds compatible? It's all black magic to me! :P

=CfC=Bounder

Re building co-op in 4.10 utilising MDS:-

Co-op-

- Create as normal and if you open the MDS GUI you can add a HB to an invisible runway anywhere there is reasonably flat ground. Only setting necessary is the "Friction" setting and radius of the HB which governs the landing area.

- Save in Missions/Net/Co-op. The Home Base will not be visible in mission....it just sets the friction area of your runway area.

DF type co-op:-

- You can save the same mission you used above, but without the "player" aircraft. The entire MDS Home Base GUI must be filled out according to your wishes for each airfield the players will use (aircraft types/load-out/countries etc). So instead of all spawning in a neat line on the runway as in a co-op, all players will spawn at the Home Base spawning point (This assumes you are starting from an airfield already existing on the map,,,,,created airfields using the invisible runways will lead to air-spawn). All timings etc. for AI can remain the same, but allow for the players to taxi into the take-off position if you have incoming AI. In addition, there will be no waypoints, so briefing must be explicit.(hdg/distance/altitude to target).

- Save this type of mission in the Missions/Net/DF folder

That's it....

Bounder ;D

CFC_Conky

Hi Bounder,

I sent you an email with the template for the NG campaign for you to test since I can't seem to get airfield friction to work. I've also uploaded it to Dropbox, in the 'Conky's Templates' folder.

Pip, pip,
Conky