Internet resets, and coms issues.

Started by =CfC= Binks, October 01, 2010, 08:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC= Binks

Hi Fitz,

I just subscribed to Banana and paid for a UK based VPN account for 6 months. I have left XFire connected via the VPN for a good deal of the morning, and it has remained connected, so let's hope the problem is solved. :)

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

=CfC=Bounder

Hi Binks,

Hope the new ISP works for you. it may well be worth trying the second option in my post above as it seems to be the most likely cause of the issue in addition to ISP problems.

I find trying to find files in Windows perfectly useless through the search method. If you look at the picture below, you can find the Xfire.ini file easily by just opening the XFire directory. You need to "unlock" your file structure in Windows first (as indicated in the post).

I would change the "Pinginterval" to the lowest (120) as shown in the picture below and see what happens on your normal ISP.

It may well resolve itself with a new ISP in which case Fitz might well want to go back to Teamspeak III and try that again.

I am of the firm belief that onboard sound in Windows XP is a cause of a lot of issues. I gave up on that a couple of years back and bought a Creative card (must have onboard CPU) which I beleive now sells for less that £50. Never had a problem with distorted sound after that. In addition, having a "push to talk" button is also I think far better than trying to set levels for a live mic.......but it takes gettting used to!

Bounder ;D

=CfC= Binks

Thanks Bounder. I'm running Windows 7.

I can find the xfire folder easily enough, but no sign of an .ini file in the directory? I've opened all the DLL, applications and the XLL  file one at a time, but no sign of a .ini.

Unfortunately, there is only one ISP out here, so I'm stuck with that avenue.

I use an HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card, so don't think I have any issues with that. I've been running XFire through both the VPN's with no cut outs at all, so hopefully that will do the trick. Wouldn't surprise me if the local ISP are putting a block on the transmissions. They seem to be quite fond of that!

HE Lord Binks.

=CfC=Bounder

You need to change the "Folder viewing options" in Windows 7 which enables you to see the system files like XFire.ini

Here's how:-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial151.html

Have a go...it is worth a try!

Bounder ;D

=CfC= Binks

Tried that Bounder, but still no sign of a .ini file for XFire.  Do you think it could be anywhere else, other than in the X Fire folder?

Found it! There is a second XFire folder inside the Program Data folder. Have inserted the pinginterval line, so will try it out.

No Joy. Disconnected the VPN, and ran XFire with the new line in the .ini, and it disconnected within a couple of minutes. Same message about congestion.
Feel sure it's being interrupted by the ISP, as it stayed connected quite happily with the VPN, almost all day.

Not to worry,  Mrs Binks is thrilled at the prospect of being able to watch the annual Haggis trials and stick baking competition via the new VPN.

The noo.

HE Lord Binks.

=CfC=Bounder

Ah well...it was worth the try! As you say, if it affects Skype etc. then it's bound to be the ISP.

Bounder ???

=CfC= Binks

Indeed,

Skype is blocked by the ISP, and can only be run via a VPN. They also blocked Teamspeak, so now, I guess they have discovered X Fire.  >:(

HE Lord Binks.