Star Citizen [Fitz]

Started by Mak, April 09, 2014, 05:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mak

What Ho Fitz

Re our brief chat about Star Citizen, it certainly is an interesting concept and I think I would enjoy being part of it. I'm a little confused on how to join and cost. One page says its going to be 60 bucks for the digital game but is 30 for now. Another page says its a subscription of 10 or 20 bucks a month depending on what sort of membership you want. Could you clarify for me please? I do not suppose that my old rig will run the game well, if at all, but I would concider signing up anyway as it will incourage me to upgrade.

Mak

=CfC=Fitz

Hi Mak,

Ok, here's the beef in brief! The game is currently in development and we do not know how much the final game will cost, though in very early info it was pegged at about $50 - $60. You will buy the game and be able to play forever, no subscription is required. The current subscriptions are for backers to obtain info before anyone else and get mentioned in the game blah blah blah.

The game will be released in parts in alpha and beta stages and once the game has reached a point where they feel it is good to release, they will bascially declare a release day and allow non backers to buy the game and join in. It is not expected to be released in full until 2015 sometime.

To get in on the action for the alpha and beta you will need a backer game package. The cheapest one with alpha and beta access is the aurora MR package at $40. This also gives you the full game on release. There are about 2000 alpha slots left and expect them to dissapear over the next couple of days as the dogfight module alpha is released and the first real bit of gameplay is to be had. (Currently all we can do is walk around and inside our ships in the hangar).

You will likely need a pretty good machine to run it full stop, though performance is likely to improve as the code is tweaked through development. I would say that a 3.5Ghz Quad core machine with a 660GTX and at least 8GB RAM would be a good estimate of what you will need to run it at reasonable settings. As ever though the faster the better.

If you do back, make sure it's before the alpha slots run out and make sure you get a game package and not just the ship on it's own. Let me know if you need any more info!

pip pip,

Fitz (in Spaaaaaaaaace)

Mak

Thanks for the info Fitz

I opened an acount today, but when I tried to buy the Aurora MR+ pacage I got a web page message 'out of memory at line 3456'. at the billing adress stage. I couldn't even give them my money!!! ;D
Will keep trying. Is my old rig so slow that I cant even sign up I wonder.

Am away tomorrow night so no flying for me, Happy landings to all.

Mak

Mak

Ignore last post Fitz, Got it sorted. Now to start saving up for a decent rig ;D

Thanks again.
Mak

Mak

What Ho Fitz.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains on this.

I'm looking at the
Intel i7 4770 Quad Core 3.4Ghz or the AMD A8 6600K Quad Core Processor 3.9GHz
is there much to choose between them? The AMD's seem to come out cheaper so I could use the savings on either a better Graphics card or more RAM.

Any guidance valued.

Mak [firmly on the ground, but looking up]

=CfC=Fitz

i7 and make sure it's a K version. Avoid the AMD processors for now, they're well behind on intel in performance. If you get an i7 4770K we should easily be able to clock it to 4.2Ghz

CFC_Conky

Well, I decided to take the plunge  :-\

Aurora LN.

Pip, pip,
Conky

In space no one can hear you fart...
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Fitz

Don't forget to join FFC! Fitz's Flying Circus can be found in the organisation section on the site.

CFC_Conky

Quote from: =CfC=Fitz on April 10, 2014, 07:43:33 PM
Don't forget to join FFC! Fitz's Flying Circus can be found in the organisation section on the site.

Done!
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: CfC_Conky on April 10, 2014, 06:54:39 PM
In space no one can hear you fart...

...that's the only reason I signed up

=CfC=Fitz

Quote from: CfC_Conky on April 11, 2014, 12:03:32 AM
Quote from: =CfC=Fitz on April 10, 2014, 07:43:33 PM

Done!

Application accepted!

Mak

Thanks for the heads up Fitz, I'll stick will Intel. The system I'm looking at is

Intel Haswell Quad Core i7 4770k 3.5GHz 8GB 500GB Asus H81M-E motherboard NVidia GTX650

It comes without an OP so I'll probably load Windows 7, if thats appropriate.

What do you think?

Mak

=CfC=Fitz

Hi Mak,

First things that spring to mind:

Try and get a better gpu if you can, it's easy to upgrade RAM later but going from a 650 to a 660 will still be the price of the whole card. The 650 is a bit wimpy. I would image a 660 Ti is a low as you want to go with a 760/770/780 being preferable. Try and avoid anything below x60 where x is the series number.

Is there any reason you need a micro ATX motherboard? You'll get a better spec/upgradability with a full ATX.

I can provide you with a copy of win7 Ultimate if required.

Mak

Hi Fitz

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll look around a bit more, My main concern is the CPU, as I can upgrade the rest as funds become available.
Got a lot of other commitments this year but want to make an entry level start on a new rig.

Thanks again

Mak

Ps sorry I did not post this thread in the right place to start with, still learning. :)

CFC_Conky

Hi Mak,

I've just gone through the upgrade process, so if I may make a few suggestions...

As Fitz has mentioned, the GTX650 might not be the best gpu for you, the price difference between it and the GTX760 is not that great and it will be good value for your dosh. Personally, I went for a GTX770 but both are very close in performance. These video cards are quite large, which could prove problematic with a smaller mobo and/or case. Don't forget about the power supply either, 500W is the absolute minimum you should go for, 650W or more would be better.

I went for Win7 Home Premium for the OS, you are limited to 16GB of RAM but you probably don't need any more than that for the time being and besides, by the time 32GB become necessary, there will be a better OS than Win8.1 around!   I hope!:D)

Pip, pip,
Conky