Started by sadsack324, May 09, 2011, 10:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadsack324

Quote from: =CfC=BlueDog on May 09, 2011, 01:16:56 PM
See here:

http://www.free-track.net/english/freetrack/qu-est-ce-que-c-est.php

FT and Fitz might be able to help more.
G'day Bluey,
                                Had a "bo peep" at that vid but it had been removed by the owner! ( bummer) Fundamentally all I need to know is how the webcam interacts with the Track IR???? Oh by the way I road tested my IL2 46 last night - "works like a charm" Thanks mate. 8)

sadsack324

Quote from: =CfC=BlueDog on May 10, 2011, 01:10:14 AM
QuoteBit of a Luddite here, the hat switch rules Conky's roost (and gets him shot down a lot

SadSack, you should be aware that Conky is an airline pilot so he doesn't look out the window very much.   Also, his Company has modified all their aircraft to incorporate a hat switch on the control column.   Electrical leads go from the hat switch to a USB connector on Conky's seat.   Conky is wired up so that his head can be connected internally to the USB connecter via the total digestive system.   A tad uncomfortable at times, but effective.   Conky can then use the hatswitch to control head movements for the odd occasions when he needs to look outside.   Sorry Conky, your secret is out! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

QuoteWhile we're on the subject, does TIR take up a controller slot in IL2

Nope, as long as you have a spare USB slot (on your computer, that is), you're in business.
G'day Bluey,
                                ah ha!!!! :o The secret is out! Conky a "people mover" eh!! :-X Damn shame about that. Just when I had been "lulled" in to thinkin I am surrounded by "real pilots" LOL :D Mate, I employ the services of a "hub" for my USB's ( a marvelous addition I must say) "Well I never" I would never have suspected Conky to belong to the "Air taxi mob" ::) just goes to show eh? Conky, you kept that quiet mate! Any particular reason? ( You don't fly for Easy Jet do you cobber?) :D

Cheers,

SS.

sadsack324

Quote from: =CfC=Father Ted on May 09, 2011, 01:23:22 PM
Hi Sadsack - been meaning to say hello for a while but can't keep up with your postings!

Basically the head-tracking we use relies on software which analyses the movement of infra red (hence IR) lights (LEDs) mounted on your head.  It does this by means of an infra red camera.  When you buy TrackIR you get the software, the LEDs in a "clip" which attaches to your headset and a modified webcam.  With Freetrack you download a free piece of software and make your own LED mounting.  Your webcam has to be modified (and compatible)  This is easy to do - though it makes it useless as a webcam for Skype or whatever.  Making the clip involves wiring up the LEDs to a power supply (batteries or USB) and mounting them in a set configuration.  All the components are very cheap - even buying another webcam would make the whole thing about a tenth the cost of TrackIR.

I have to say I "cheated" and bought the "professional" clip from Natural Point - £30 here.  The Freetrack software is a little less user-friendly than the TIR stuff, but once you've fiddled around with the settings I don't see how the commercial system could be any better

As the others have said it does make a big difference in game

Ted
G'day Ted,
                             Firstly, thanks for that most "informative and timely" definition of Track IR. I now have a handle on how the damned thing works! "How's Bluey's revelation regarding Conky bein a "people mover"???? Bluey wouldn't be avin a lend of me would he????

Cheers and Thanks,

SS.

sadsack324

Quote from: =CfC=BlueDog on May 09, 2011, 10:35:54 PM
Father Ted 's idea of using the TrackIR track clip pro for the leds is a good idea.   About $60.   Just Google for online purchase. 

My view (for what it's worth): If you want something that works straight out of the box and can afford it, go for the TrackIR5.   If you're scratching (and who isn't); and are a bit handy with setting things up get yourself another webcam and the trackclip pro.

Mate, I'll PM you. Need some info on this stuff.

Cheers,
                                                          SS.

CFC_Conky

Quote from: sadsack324 on May 10, 2011, 03:27:04 AM
QuoteBit of a Luddite here, the hat switch rules Conky's roost (and gets him shot down a lot

SadSack, you should be aware that Conky is an airline pilot so he doesn't look out the window very much.   Also, his Company has modified all their aircraft to incorporate a hat switch on the control column.   Electrical leads go from the hat switch to a USB connector on Conky's seat.   Conky is wired up so that his head can be connected internally to the USB connecter via the total digestive system.   A tad uncomfortable at times, but effective.   Conky can then use the hatswitch to control head movements for the odd occasions when he needs to look outside.   Sorry Conky, your secret is out! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nope, as long as you have a spare USB slot (on your computer, that is), you're in business.
G'day Bluey,
                               ah ha!!!! :o The secret is out! Conky a "people mover" eh!! :-X Damn shame about that. Just when I had been "lulled" in to thinkin I am surrounded by "real pilots" LOL :D Mate, I employ the services of a "hub" for my USB's ( a marvelous addition I must say) "Well I never" I would never have suspected Conky to belong to the "Air taxi mob" ::) just goes to show eh? Conky, you kept that quiet mate! Any particular reason? ( You don't fly for Easy Jet do you cobber?) :D

Cheers,

SS.

Laugh now sadsack and Bluey, one day you'll ask for change, or a transfer, when you get on the bus....muhahahahahah! ;D

I'm heading to SYD tomorrow, be careful crossing the street... ;)
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

sadsack324

Quote from: CfC_Conky on May 10, 2011, 06:01:48 AM
Quote from: sadsack324 on May 10, 2011, 03:27:04 AM

SadSack, you should be aware that Conky is an airline pilot so he doesn't look out the window very much.   Also, his Company has modified all their aircraft to incorporate a hat switch on the control column.   Electrical leads go from the hat switch to a USB connector on Conky's seat.   Conky is wired up so that his head can be connected internally to the USB connecter via the total digestive system.   A tad uncomfortable at times, but effective.   Conky can then use the hatswitch to control head movements for the odd occasions when he needs to look outside.   Sorry Conky, your secret is out! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

G'day Bluey,

Cheers,

SS.

Laugh now sadsack and Bluey, one day you'll ask for change, or a transfer, when you get on the bus....muhahahahahah! ;D

I'm heading to SYD tomorrow, be careful crossing the street... ;)
G'day Conky,
                                 Are you suggesting that any "birdstrikes" may not be the feathered vatiety??????LOL

CFC_Conky

Not at all sadsack, but remember, I don't look out the window...or turn, much! :D :D :D
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

sadsack324

Quote from: =CfC=Father Ted on May 09, 2011, 01:23:22 PM
Hi Sadsack - been meaning to say hello for a while but can't keep up with your postings!

Basically the head-tracking we use relies on software which analyses the movement of infra red (hence IR) lights (LEDs) mounted on your head.  It does this by means of an infra red camera.  When you buy TrackIR you get the software, the LEDs in a "clip" which attaches to your headset and a modified webcam.  With Freetrack you download a free piece of software and make your own LED mounting.  Your webcam has to be modified (and compatible)  This is easy to do - though it makes it useless as a webcam for Skype or whatever.  Making the clip involves wiring up the LEDs to a power supply (batteries or USB) and mounting them in a set configuration.  All the components are very cheap - even buying another webcam would make the whole thing about a tenth the cost of TrackIR.

I have to say I "cheated" and bought the "professional" clip from Natural Point - £30 here.  The Freetrack software is a little less user-friendly than the TIR stuff, but once you've fiddled around with the settings I don't see how the commercial system could be any better

As the others have said it does make a big difference in game

Ted
G'day Again Ted,
                                      I just re-read your post. I've got a Logitech 200 Webcam are you aware if Logitech is compatible with Track IR?

Cheers mate and Thanks,

SS.

sadsack324

Quote from: CfC_Conky on May 10, 2011, 06:28:43 AM
Not at all sadsack, but remember, I don't look out the window...or turn, much! :D :D :D
G'day Conky,
                                Mate, you may have to extend yourself if your headed to Sydney. ;) RWY 34L is a somewhat difficult approach for "bus drivers" :D :D :D especially those with a prepensity for not avin a look out the window? ;D ;D Mate, how do you get on usin "reverse thrust" is it on the left or the right and is it "hooked up" via a USB? LOL :D :D ::) :D.

Cheers "old chap",

SS.

CFC_Conky

I just drive it towards the runway and when the rest of the crew starts to gasp, I start to flare  ;)

sadsack324

Quote from: CfC_Conky on May 10, 2011, 07:44:02 AM
I just drive it towards the runway and when the rest of the crew starts to gasp, I start to flare  ;)
Mate,
                     I wouldn't want to be sittin in the right hand seat! :o :o :o I reckon I'd have both hands out the window tryin to pull her up! LOL. ;) ;) ;)

Cheers,

SS. ;)

sadsack324

Quote from: =CfC=Fitz on May 09, 2011, 08:00:42 PM
I don't really have much to add on what Ted has said really. For the cost of a TrackIR headclip (£25) and a cheap webcam (mine is a £5 labtec job) I can't see how the official TrackIR is any better than Freetrack.

pip pip,

Fitz
G'day Fitz,
                             Mate I've done some preliminary research regarding Track IR 5 Pro and come up with prices ranging from min $220.00 AUD to anywhere above $335.00 AUD depending. :o :o :o Are you in a position to be able to get a price in UK pounds for the same article please? :-* :-* ( pretty please with honey and sugar etc etc) :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* Please advise if unable.

Cheers and Thanks,

SS. ;D ;D ;D ;D

John Cartwright

had a gander for you SS cheapest deal in UKon the Track IR with the Pro clip is 270AUD inc 3 day Fedex to your address.
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

=CfC=BlueDog

This place in Oz, TrackIR5 plus ProClip for $280 (inc freight)

http://www.itsdirect.com.au

sadsack324

Quote from: BalDaddy on May 10, 2011, 12:46:58 PM
had a gander for you SS cheapest deal in UKon the Track IR with the Pro clip is 270AUD inc 3 day Fedex to your address.
G'day Cobber,
                                  Thanks for that, much appreciated. I had a "gander" on "Flight sim pilot shop" and they have a special on at the moment. Price for this article is $134.90 USD ( from memory) plus freight on top, approx $40 odd USD if I want it here in 3 days. Because the "aussie dollar" is reasonable at the moment that brings the price down in the US. I dunno how it is compared to the pound sterling but 134.00 is a lot better than most other prices. I'm not sure about Customs though??? Anyone know if there's a tax on stuff like this coming in from either the US or the UK???

Thanks anyway cobber I guess I'm gonna have to ring Customs here in OZ and find out "From the horses mouth" so to speak!

Cheers,

SS.