Rudder Pedals - Are They Worth It?

Started by Chuffy, July 28, 2010, 02:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuffy

Chaps,

I am thinking of investing in a set of Saitek Rudder pedals to enhance my flying experience.  However, I am in two minds about this.  As is well documented, I am an infrequent flyer, so maybe the expense outweighs the necessity? Or will they really help me in improving my flying technique?

So, those of you who use rudder pedals, are they a boon or an extravagant luxury?

Pip Pip,

Chuffy

Sable

I literally got mine about a month ago.  Prior to that I used a Cyborg X joystick which has a twist rudder.

I too was in two minds about them, but I found some brand new on ebay for £60 so took a chance.

I have to say, that they do improve your control a lot.  Being able to yaw onto target, doing proper coordinated turns, landing, takeoffs and taxiing are all much improved and they really do add to the immersion.

They do take a bit of getting used to, but I don't think I would be without them now.

*Disclaimer - rudders will not turn you into a certified ace - I am living proof  :D

Chuffy

Cheers Sable.  I have a twist rudder stick as well but it is a bit cumbersome to be honest!

I know the squadron is named after me but I really am a novice flyer, so if anything will help me then that's all for the good.  However, one thing that does elude me is the dimensions of the pedals.  Not so much the depth or the width of the base, it's the height that concerns me as my PC desk has a low shelf that my printer sits on and I am worried that the pedals will be too high.  What is the height?

Pip pip,

Chuffy

Sable

I shall have a look this evening and let you know!

CFC_Conky

What ho Chuffy,

I flew for years without them until last summer, and now I can't fly without them. For me they make a world of difference and really bumped up my enjoyment of the game. I have a pair of CH pedals and it sounds like a desk similar to yours. I have placed the pedals on the lower shelf which sits 2-3 inches off the ground. My office chair seat can pivot and i find the position very comfortable, my feet are raised slightly and I am reclined a bit. It's actually not unlike some of the aircraft I have flown irl.

Sorry I can't help you with your TrackIr issue. Real men use a hat switch you know  ;D.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Woof

Go for the pedals, Chuffy.    I never saw an airplane in rl that had a twisty stick.... ;D

I'v got deja vue all over me...

=CfC=BlueDog

CFC_Conky

Hey Bluey,

We could use you in our Guadalcanal campaign. No worries though, we'll be headed to New Guinea in a couple of months, flying P-38's in support of No 22 and 30 Squadrons, RAAF.

Pip, pip,
Conky

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=BlueDog

For Saitek, the highest point of the pedals is 200 mm above floor level.

For CH ProPedals the highest point is 170 mm.

Don't forget you will need to make allowance for your plates of meat.   My dainty, but perfect masculine footsies, only add an extra 20 mm to the equation.

Also you may need to make allowance for the forward travel of the pedals.   For Saitel this is about 30 mm forward of the front lip of the base.   CH pedals do not protrude forward of the base.

Personally I prefer the Saitek pedals - better ergonomics (mainly spacing between the pedals), better centering and the provision of a friction facility to give some force 'feel'.  

Reliability:   Saitek failed after about 1 month (locked in the L forward position).   Replaced without qualm or drama and the replacement has been going for 2 years without a problem.   I know of several other Saitek pedal users who have had no problem.

My CH pedals had problems after about 3 years - broken wires for brakes, and mechanical lockup.   Took the thing apart (about 490 screws) and freed the assembly, but brakes still do not work.   OK, but not up to reliability standard of other CH gear.

There is a new Saitek rudder pedal system out now (or soon).  http://www.saitek.com/uk/blog/  They look good, but seem to be higher than the standard Saitek pedals so may not suit.

Cheers and pootles,

BD    

=CfC= Silverback

I've had mine (Saitek) for a couple of years now, never had a problem.

Chuffy

Chaps,

Thanks for all the advice.  I'm going to have a measure up tonight and see if they will fit.  I've seen a set on Ebay going for a decent price (new as well!), so I hope the measurements come up trumps!

Pootles,

Chuffy

Sable

Sorry Chuffers, got collared at work later than planned :(

Chuffy

That's done.  Pedals on order and should arrive early next week.  Hopefully in time for the next DF session!

Pip Pip,

Chuffy

=CfC=Bounder

Good choice Chuffy.

If only I could remember which foot to press I would find them great also, but they do work well.

You may find that only one brake pedal has an effect. You will need to add a line to your User file and when you get them, I will forward the line to you. You also need to adjust the sensitivity of the braking to avoid breaking props. That can be done through the IL2 Stab prog for left and right brake.

Bounder ;D

CFC_Conky

Well done Chuffy, new kit is always a cause for celebration. To the bar!