Could this work for CoD?

Started by CFC_Conky, November 15, 2012, 08:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFC_Conky

I saw this over on the M4T forums in response to a question about CoD frame rates.

Don't know if it will work but it might be worth a try.

Pip, pip,
Conky

Open up your BIOS. Look for "Intel Speed Stepping" or anything that resembles CPU throttling. Disable it. You don't want that on, ever.

What it does is cut your processing power in half in order to prolong CPU life and to reduce power usage by your PC. However, the problem lies in that the detection for "going-full-throttle" doesn't work while gaming, so you end up gaming at half-speed the entire time. It is supposed to go back to full speed when the system "detects" the need for it. This technology has proven to fail every time when gaming. Many gamers world-wide have come to this sad realization and the grief it causes is indisputably the worst.

I am sure there are a few kinds of speed-stepping functions out there. So you will need to keep your eye open and look hard if you're not computer-savvy, but here's hopin' you find it and disable it!

After disabling the intel speed-stepping on my q6600, I gained 20+ fps on most games. That's going from unplayable, to playable.

I used to have to play Skyrim with no AA, high performance nVidia profile and with blur and those fancy things turned off, and it was still iffy at times. I now basically have the game maxed out as far as I could ever hope for (4x AA, quality nvidia profile, and all draw distances at max) and she still flies smooth (50+ fps).

My CoD experience has greatly improved. There are times when it dips below 30fps, however, takeoffs are now manageable and coasting the landscape to get a good view of the buildings and trees no longer hits my frame rate. It's like I'm flying again. (il21946)

I am sure this is a factor affecting MANY gamers because, even as a computer programmer and A+ and Network+ certified, I never thought once to check or disable a throttling function in the BIOS. It took me a year to finally realize this and I so hope it helps many of you out there because CoD is a beauty and fun just to fly. I hate the AI still, with their perfect flying and I've more than once burned my hurri's engine out trying to keep in formation with them -- fug the AI -- you should be playing online anyway.

I can even play Minecraft with everything maxed out.  lol.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

I've no idea if this would work, but Badger says that the CloD code isn't optimized properly, so PC oomph is not the only factor in getting it to run smoothly.

The chap also says: What it does is cut your processing power in half in order to prolong CPU life and to reduce power usage by your PC, so I don't know if being able to run games at a higher visual quality would be worth the risk.  Perhaps if you could switch it on and off (as, apparently, it's supposed to) without going into BIOS each time you wanted to run CloD, then maybe...

Ted

Badgerton Smedly

Tally Ho Conky!

I'm with Ted on this one.  The limitations set in your BIOS are intended to maintain the stability and longevity of your system.  By all means try it, but such tweaking is risky, so I take no responsibility for the suggestion.  The component manufaturers don't even recommend overclocking because it degrades component life.

There again, I am a hypocrite as my system is OC'd....  :-[

If you do, let us know the results!  :D

Badger

CFC_Conky

Hmmmm, an interesting perspective Badger (in a pot calling the kettle black kind of way  ;)).

We had a discussion about it today during our prang, Fitz is all for it, others not so much. I agree with Fitz that the cpu should be able to run continuously at its rated speed without damage, except to one's electric bill...

I think the power saving function in the bios is the cause of my pedals shutting down when there has been no computer activity for a time so I might try to turn it off. Besides, if it cooks my cpu the Admiral will have a much more difficult time saying no to a new computer eh?  ;D

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Badgerton Smedly

Well good luck Gentlemen!  Remember the Tweak Guide and if you have a Nvidia card then set up a launcher.exe profile on the control panel so you don't scupper any other games. :)

I'm sort of a pot Conky. The newer cards now have a BIOS wibbly that allows you to select economy, normal of performance settings which adjust the OC for you so I'm only just cheating  ;D. It's more stable than manually adjusting the blkf and voltages, but only just. The OC still occasionally fails. It saves tinkering around too much.

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: CfC_Conky on November 16, 2012, 05:36:25 AM
I think the power saving function in the bios is the cause of my pedals shutting down when there has been no computer activity for a time so I might try to turn it off.

I'm no PC expert, but could this not be a problem from "higher up" the system - ie Windows?  I always disable any sleep/hibernate/power-saving-type stuff in Windows pretty much for this reason.

=CfC=Bounder

I have researched this quite a bit and it seems to apply to laptops more than desktop PC's. There is a lot of info on the web about "throttling" and how to deal with it including the use of the prog. "ThrottleStop".

Probably best to concentrate on a good case with a lot of good cooling and keep your CPU to about 60-70C max. I believe that most desktop systems fitted with Intel do not throttle until 105C.......but it varies with Intel chip.

If you fly with a laptop, you definitely need to disable this feature as it kicks in very early.

Probably talking way over my head here but due to the temperatures I get here in the summer it is a subject I used to be concerned about until I bought my new Antec 900 case which has enough cooling to keep my CPU at below 70C in the height of summer when the room temperature is approaching 40C (my CPU is 40% overclocked....E8400 3.00ghz running at 3.6ghz with no overheating and no throttling)

Bounder ;D

Badgerton Smedly

Conky

Are you sure that your pedal issue isn't to do with the driver?  I sometimes have that problem with my X52 throttle and I know that its a driver issue cos Win7 doesn't like the driver that it's assigned.  The fact that when I delete it and reinstal it Win7 then adopts its own driver that it doesn't like, is neither here or there....  :D

If removing the throttle jobby isn't going to hurt then go for it, but as Bounder has said, if it's really a gain feature for a laptop then you won't see any difference.