Nothing to do with IL2 but everything to do with my pending emotional breakdown

Started by =CfC=Woof, June 19, 2013, 09:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Woof

I am trying to install a D-link DWA-182 usb wireless adapter into my pc but keep getting an error code 10, which as near as I can find out on Google means a conflict somewhere.  I also have a Cisco usb adapter which is not being recognized. 

Any other usb device I attach is accepted immediately.

Any of you wizardly tech heads any idea what may be going on?

Thanks... 

I'v got deja vue all over me...

=CfC=Fitz

Hi Woof,

First step, try a few different usb ports just in case. It may also be a power issue as some usb ports deliver power and some do not.

Regards,

Fitz

=CfC=Fitz

And did you install the driver from the disk as there are no microsoft approved (i.e. auto install) ones out yet I believe.

=CfC=Woof

Yes sir, tried different ports and tried to download drivers from disc.  At then end of the disc install I get a message that I've cancelled the install.  I haven't of course.

Tried updating drivers thru device manager; sometimes win says they won't install, other times say they are up to date.

If I just plug in without using the disc I get the installing drivers message and then shortly thereafter a failed to install message.

All of the above for the D-Link.

The Cisco disc will not even open.

Maybe I'll have to go to an internal card.

=CfC=Fitz

You could always try getting your money back. I read a few reviews of it whilst looking for a quick solve and almost everyone said it was a lot of faff for something that isn't that good.

And yes an internal card will be a lot faster and less problematic.

Pip pip,

Fitz

=CfC=Father Ted

I have to admit that I took the card out of my PC and have gone back to a wired solution as I've found wifi to be a problem.  We have a system which uses the mains wiring of the house as a network.  It's called Devolo dLan.  You have an ethernet cable running from your router to an adapter at a wall socket and then plug your PC in through a similar adapter, and connect your PC to it via another ethernet cable.

We paid about £100 for a base unit and two adapters (each can have three ethernet connections).  I get 500 Mbit/s transfer rate, so it's pretty good speed-wise.  Obviously not so useful for a laptop, but definitely better than faffing with wifi or having cables all over the house.

=CfC=Woof

Thanks for the comment Ted.  Actually I am wired, in more ways than one, and the only reason I wanted a slip in easy greasy usb wireless adapter was to hook up to a new wireless printer, scanner, fax, sausage maker.

That and the fact that once I found it wasn't working in my computer I couldn't sleep for not defeating the bloody thing.  I have now devoted the last forty-eight hours to futile research but I will not give up...will not...will not...

Incidentally the effing usb adapter works just fine in the computer at the store where I bought it.

Every man must have a goal in life   :-*