Is this game any good?

Started by CFC_Conky, December 19, 2012, 11:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFC_Conky

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Badgerton Smedly

Don't know Conky old cherub, but I bet Ted has had a dabble!

"TED!"

CFC_Conky

Thanks Badger!

It being winter here in the colonies, I'll need the snowplow mod! :D

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

HA! Was writing what follows while you two were posting!!

Interesting question Conky.  This is the sort of game I like, so I have had a go at the demo, and followed forum discussions.  I have to say that I found the interface and controls too uncomfortable.  It's from an independent Russian developer, so some things are done slightly differently to the way more mainstream games go about things.  Plus there's not a lot of support for non-Russian speakers in the manual.

That said, some people say they've managed to find a good game underneath all that.  It has some nice touches - the main one being a campaign map on which you move forces around to trigger the 3D real time battles (a la Total War).

I have a game called Combat Mission which basically does the same thing, but is much more user friendly.  The current game (Battle for Normandy - or CMBN) is a full-on tactical simulator.  You have to use real-world, historical tactics to succeed.  I think it's great, though it is a tad pricey.  There are also add-on modules.

If you're still running XP, see if you find Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin.  It should be dirt cheap, because it's dated (think IL2 v RoF) but I played the heck out of that game.  It's not quite as sophisticated as the modern one, but still gives an absorbing game (has a cool map/mission editor too!)

Ted

CFC_Conky

Hi Ted,

Funny you should mention the Combat Mission series, I have all three of the older games and love them, haven't played in a while but will have to boot one up soon.

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC=Father Ted

Conky, If you liked the original CM games, I'd definitely check out CMBN.  You will feel at home straightaway as it has the same interface, but there is more going on "under the hood", the soldiers are represented 1:1, and it looks prettier.  There is a good free demo available at Battlefront.com

bb

Don't know about Achtung Panzer, but the CM series put me off all 2d tactical sims. I just cant do them any more. That said, I haven't tried the latest Normandy.

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: bb on March 21, 2013, 06:43:08 PM
Don't know about Achtung Panzer, but the CM series put me off all 2d tactical sims. I just cant do them any more. That said, I haven't tried the latest Normandy.

Hi bb.  The Combat Mission series is 3D - maybe you are thinking of the Close Combat series?

CFC_Conky

Quote from: =CfC=Father Ted on March 21, 2013, 10:46:55 PM
Quote from: bb on March 21, 2013, 06:43:08 PM

Hi bb.  The Combat Mission series is 3D - maybe you are thinking of the Close Combat series?

Perhaps it was the first two editions of the 'Panzer General' series; PG 3D was definitely better. That said, turn-based combat games are not everyone's cuppa.

Pip, pip,
Conky

Gubi

FT and Conky,
I thin what BB was saying is that..."CM was so good that he retired from 2D games altogether".  He and I battled furiously in CM...now our time is taken up by learning to fly in IL-2.
I've still got all 3 versions of CM loaded...and the new one...just never play them anymore.  Wish I had the time and/or inclination.

Cheers
Gubi

BTB...just got TrackIR...as have all the Clowns.  Thanx BB!!

=CfC=Father Ted

Thanks for clearing that up gubi!  Good to hear that you're CM fans.  I find that with CMBN I have to "make" myself play, but once I do, I find I enjoy it.  Also good to hear that you're all kitted out with TIR - it really does make IL2 more fun.