"Kubel Leaping"...New extreme sport!

Started by =CfC=Bounder, October 10, 2013, 02:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Bounder

One hot day in the Mediterranean, Wilkins was asked to calibrate the catapults on Illustrious.

By careful positioning with the bow almost aground in an undisclosed port near Crete, various carriages were attached to the catapult and distances marked out on the sand in front of the bow.

Numerous scientific calculations were made and eventually the figure of "36" was found to be the ideal setting (conf.ini) for current RN types deployed on Illustrious.

Whilst this was going on, a captured German freighter bound for North Africa was towed into the port. Aboard were no less than 150 KubelWagens destined for Rommel's use in Africa.

I had a thought.......if the Kubel weighs the same as a Martlet....approximately....why not use them as the test vehicles?

We needed volunteers.....and after a heavy lunch including an outstanding bottle of Talbot (1933), I enlisted some captured Lufwaffe punters and leading from the front and calling for a line astern departure, headed for the catapult after Wilkins fitted a single stage blower to my machine.

Although it caught fire on starting up, the additional power was clearly going to help.

Tests with the dummy carriage suggested that I ought to be able to clear 8 four ton trucks?

With a heavy audience and some trepidation, I was attached to the catapult.........below is the sequence of events:-

1)All ready with 8 trucks to clear

2) Minor fire on start-up.....ready to position on the catapult

3) Attached to the catapult.....radiator closed.....WEP selected....ready to go.....

4)  "Yeeeeeee-haaaaaaaah.....what a ride"

5) "This is going to hurt!"

Several "Leaps" were made.....some successful........some requiring a visit to Matron.

"Kubel Leaping" is now available from an Island base well to the south of our battle location on the "MTO DF map".

Bounder ;D

John Cartwright

What was worse. the leaping bit or the visit to Matron?
Looks like great fun
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

CFC_Conky

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

bb

Great FUN Bounder!. I was surprised how many landings I survived to drive on! damned flight model...