Progress at 50%

Started by Badgerton Smedly, May 12, 2014, 02:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badgerton Smedly

Tally Ho-ski

Progress Summary:

• Progress currently at 50%
• Raw development almost complete (bug fixes and refinement next)
• The Beta release phase has started and will be active all summer
• Game is scheduled for release in September 2014

As Axion has said the La5 has been released and for me currently handles like the LaGG. Input handling needs work and I'm sure that it'll get it.

Trimming control has been introduced, I thought on the Axis AC, but some of the forum members have posted that it's working for the Soviet AC too.  I picked up a bit of right trim action on the La5, but not enough to get excited about.

Looking forwards to a bit more graphics refinement in beta too!

If you have early access, please let us know what you think.

Comrade Badgerski

CFC_Conky

Hello Chaps,

Took the La-5 for spin last night; it flies a LOT like the LaGG-3 but this is apparenlty accurate since it's an early variant. Elevator trim works, but in reverse but no longer works on the LW kites...

I'm not looking forward to delving into the controls section again  :P.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC= Ax

Yes, the controls menu confuses the hell out of me and I never look forward to tinkering about in those gubbins.

Haven't flown it much, but when I have done, I never know what trim is modelled in what aircraft, or even if it's actually implemented in the aircraft that I'm presently flying? Overall, I'm impressed with the visuals and the game mechanics to a certain degree, but the content is very limited, and probably to be expected at this stage. Having very little experience in Il-2 '46, I'm not really in a position to judge one against other, nor even predict how popular this title will become. However, my gut feeling is that it will still have a long way to go after the final release. I put this down to the initial limited content and the fact that the Il-2 crowds have had an overwhelming plethora of addons and mods to keep them appeased over the years.

Time will tell, and hopefully these are the foundations of a great and popular sim to come?

Which brings me onto another point, how modable will this sim be? I'm of an understanding that the continual success of '46 was partly due to the 'modabilty' of that title? If BoS is not built in the same vein or has no 'hooks' for attachment, can it succeed or even have the longevity that the il-2 series has had over the many years since it's inception?

CFC_Conky

Hi Axion,

At this time IL2 1946 offers a much, much richer experience than BoS, but in the short to medium term, you have only to look at RoF to get an idea of what we will be getting. The big 'if' with the game is it's scalability. While WWI combat took place in different parts of the world, when you think of the air war you think Western Front, so the content will be limited. WWII, being a truly global war, offers far more possibilities and I hope the game engine will be robust enough.

Another key factor will be user content; IL2 has a decent mission builder and as a result we have a myriad of missions, and campaigns and with mods we get more maps, objects, aircraft, etc., almost all of it free. Microsoft Flight Simulator has a lot of extra content but most of it is third-party stuff you have to pay for. It will be interesting to see which model 777 Studios will adopt; both are hugely popular. Personally, I prefer IL2's approach but this requires a very dedicated player base; just think of all the work done by Team Diadolos (sp?), and that's just for the vanilla game.

Right now it's almost all I can do to just keep the kite in the air, let alone fight effectively and as pretty as BoS is, right now I feel IL2 1946 strikes a better balance between realism and fun. Of course progress is only at 50%, but it does have very large shoes to fill if it is to become anywhere near as popular as our old friend.

If anyone can do it, 777 can.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.