Icons and Views

Started by Mak, February 08, 2014, 02:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mak

I was reading through the forums and came across this from Bounder.

'As we now fly UP3 all the time, we have the ability to use the settings available to us in the mission file to see everything that is going on when dead or on the ground....as you say more or less essential when taxiing sometimes: you can also watch other chaps fighting or landing when on the ground. In addition we can have settings that enable us to see targets and also other aircraft on the minimap without identifying colour.'

I am new to DF mission building and would like to ask if I need to do something clever in the .mis file, or is the above taken care of by the estimable Fritz?

I think there's a rat in my Daimler, Mak

CFC_Conky

Hi Mak,

Add the following lines to the bottom of your mission's  .mis file

[Mods]
  ExternalViewLevel 2
  ExternalViewGround 1
  ExternalViewDead 1

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Mak

Thanks Conky, I didn't know about that. I have another question you might be able to help me with. I have read somewhere that its possible to ajust the icons seen on a plane. Colour, Type. Name. Etc. plus at what distance it comes into view. Do you know if that is true?

CFC_Conky

Quote from: Mak on February 08, 2014, 09:48:32 PM
Thanks Conky, I didn't know about that. I have another question you might be able to help me with. I have read somewhere that its possible to ajust the icons seen on a plane. Colour, Type. Name. Etc. plus at what distance it comes into view. Do you know if that is true?

Hi Mak,

I think there is a line in the config.ini file that allows you to adjust the view range of icons but since we don't use them in our prangs it's not something I've looked into yet.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Mak

Thanks Conky
I was wondering if it was possible to put Name icons on friendly only for CoOp missions since we have lights on to help recognise eachother. We could do that 'LOOK OUT CONKY! ONE ON YOUR SIX' stuff, just like in the movies.
Ive often wondered how they knew who to warn!

CFC_Conky

Quote from: Mak on February 08, 2014, 10:21:24 PM
Thanks Conky
I was wondering if it was possible to put Name icons on friendly only for CoOp missions since we have lights on to help recognise eachother. We could do that 'LOOK OUT CONKY! ONE ON YOUR SIX' stuff, just like in the movies.
Ive often wondered how they knew who to warn!

Yes, that would be useful, I'll have a look through the forums and see if something can be done. As long as it's a simple fix it should be easy to get everyone up to speed.

Wait, actually, I've flown online with friendly icons enabled and you can see the names of the players. I see it all the time on Hyperlobby so it should be a simple setting adjustment for the server. I dimly remember CFC having a debate on icon use but can't for the life of me remember what was decided. Perhaps we can re-visit the idea.

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC=Bounder

Icon settings seem to require changes at local level unless you have a dedicated server....we host peer to peer at CfC via Fitz's own computer.

It would require each of us to make the changes to our installation having enabled icons in the "Difficulty" settings. This would work for offline use but unless we change to using server software I don't think it will be possible.....see here:-

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&cat=77#76

Bounder