Aircraft crashing on spawning

Started by CFC_Conky, November 06, 2013, 05:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFC_Conky

Hi Bounder,

I've been having trouble with aircraft crashing when they spawn into a df map. This has started to occur ever since I started reducing ground friction to 1.5~1.7, on both pre-mapped and user-made airfields. Increasing friction values to 2.0 or above seems to cure the spawning crashes but then the strip, especially dirt, sand or turf becomes much rougher.

...Any ideas?

Thanks,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Bounder

Lowest I use is 1.7 for Spitfires.
I have found during testing that the first spawn sometimes does cause a crash but it seems to settle down after that. Try spawning two or three times and you should find that it sorts itself out.
If it is a user made airfield, be absolutely sure that it is not the proximity of an object: many objects like trees have damage boxes larger than what is the visible object. This requires a slight re-positioning of the spawn place. Additionally, if the ground has "high spots", you may be spawning on one of these: again, re-positioning a few meters by moving the  spawn place can usually fix this.

Bounder :-\

CFC_Conky

Thanks Bounder, I found that re-spawning does seem to fix things. I've tested the next prang with the friction set at 2.0 with no issues. The airfields on the UP3 Finnish maps seem to be quite rough even with lower friction settings but this also gives a more realistic 'wobble' on take off and landing from unpaved strips.

Pip, pip,
Conkly
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.