CH Settings

Started by =CfC=BlueDog, December 27, 2014, 05:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=BlueDog

Any CH users out there?

I haven't been able to find pitch and roll settings that give a realistic response to controls.   So far have only tried shaping response curves using the ingame facility but without getting satisfactory results.

Might have to try shaping within the CH Manager map; but that's a bummer because I have to go in and out of game every time I change a test setting

CFC_Conky

Hi Bluey,

I'd love to help but I fly with default control responses; never having flown a WW2 kite of any kind, I'm not at all sure how they should react to control inputs. So far I find the fm's manageable, what are your concerns about them? Btw, I have a full CH setup as well.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Woof

Bluey, I found these several years ago.  They may be of help.

Oleg Maddox:
Roll: 1 3 6 12 21 32 44 61 81 100
Pitch: 1 4 8 15 24 33 44 60 77 100
Yaw: 0 10 19 32 43 54 63 74 86 100

crazyivan1970:
Roll: 27 38 52 63 69 75 83 88 93 100
Pitch: 28 44 55 62 70 79 88 93 96 100
Yaw: 29 40 48 57 66 76 86 93 95 100 plus 7 deadband.

The Author:
Roll: 13 21 28 39 53 65 77 88 96 100
Pitch: 22 28 37 45 54 65 77 88 97 100
Yaw: 35 41 48 56 67 76 82 89 95 100

As a starting point, the author suggests the following:
Roll: 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100
Pitch: 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100
Yaw: Leave it at default for the time being.

I've been using Crazy Ivan's for some time and quite like them.
Is this what you're looking for?
I've forgotten who the author is.

I'v got deja vue all over me...

=CfC=BlueDog

Woof, my friend, you went to an awful lot of trouble to give me those figures; however I'm looking for control settings for the Stalingrad sim.   I do appreciate your effort, though.

=CfC=Woof

No trouble, Bluey.  I had them all memorized.   :-*

=CfC=BlueDog

QuoteI'd love to help but I fly with default control responses; never having flown a WW2 kite of any kind, I'm not at all sure how they should react to control inputs. So far I find the fm's manageable, what are your concerns about them?

Thanks Conky.   Like you I have no experience with WW2 aircraft - I'm just trying to get a setting that gives reasonable longitudinal handling qualities.   By that I mean something that doesn't overreact to small inputs but is not so sluggish that causes out-of -phase conditions. 

So far I've not been able to nail an in-game sensitivity setting that suits.  The default "0" setting is sort of OK until you try a tracking task like keeping the pipper on the target whilst both aircraft are manoeuvring - that's where the 'over-sensitiveness' shows up and the tracking task is quite difficult.   Go to the other extreme of "100" sensitivity and the aircraft reacts much more slowly.  You will move through your intended path unless you anticipate and apply opposite control well before you would (normally) do so.  This results in out-of- phase conditions.   Try this out on the approach to land by putting the aircraft into a decent undershoot or overshoot and assess the timing and magnitude of the control inputs you need to get back onto the correct glideslope.

All very basic stuff really, and there's got to be a setting in between the two that suits - probably more towards the 0 than the 100.

I haven't tried playing with the other two "dead zone" settings yet.   Perhaps that might help.

Just a matter of trial and error from here on, I expect.

On another issue, have you got the tailwheel lock to work?   Does it show up as a message on screen (like trim settings etc do}?

Cheers,

BD (Oz)     

CFC_Conky

Hi Bluey,

Ah yes, the tailwheel lock. There is no hud indication for it; on some aircraft you'll see a lever move when you lock it, with other kites like the FW-190 you lock the tailwheel by pulling back on the stick, as you would in a P-51 irl.

There are a terrific series of youtube videos on all the aircraft and other things you need to know in BoS right here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/requiembos?sub_confirmation=1&src_vid=V9cBXMpdECY&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_3144216385

The aircraft familiarization videos are particularly useful.

In one of the threads on fm's on the BoS forum, some folks recommend setting the control sensitivity to 50% as a good starting point.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

It's a shame they didn't keep the RoF way of doing "curves".  You could tailor the inputs in incredible detail.  The only downer is that you can neuter the more  difficult kites so that they fly like a trainer.  I got fed up of holding the stick forward to keep the Camel level and shifted the curve so it will fly hands off.  Then I read a first-hand account of how it would loop if you didn't keeo forward pressure, so feel a bit of a fraud.

The only real way round your issue is to get a longer stick Bluey.  Errr...that sounded way more personal than I intended :-[

=CfC=Woof

Quote from: =CfC=Father Ted on December 29, 2014, 11:14:01 AM
It's a shame they didn't keep the RoF way of doing "curves".  You could tailor the inputs in incredible detail.  The only downer is that you can neuter the more  difficult kites so that they fly like a trainer.  I got fed up of holding the stick forward to keep the Camel level and shifted the curve so it will fly hands off.  Then I read a first-hand account of how it would loop if you didn't keeo forward pressure, so feel a bit of a fraud.

The only real way round your issue is to get a longer stick Bluey.  Errr...that sounded way more personal than I intended :-[

Re the longer stick, Tedly, you've raised a question that's been with me since 1952...I was flying solo in an ex USNavy SNJ  and decided, being a seriously idiotic young airman, to practice my barrel roles.  So at 4000' agl I whipped it over and the next thing I knew I was staining the bottom of the fuselage with squashed grass.   Obviously I caught it in time, and that's when the lights went on with a loud thump and I realized that the top four inches of the stick had been cut off.  Only the metal remained.  No plastic, comfy hand grip.   So I'm guessing the reduced length had reduced the throw of the stick, giving me a Judy Garland Rainbow Roll instead of the vastly tighter barrel.   Or are my misunderstandings of the mysteries of flight as major as my propensities for purple pumps?

And who was the erk who put this machine on the flight line for ignorant young sprogs to scare the hell out of themselves?  I'm writing to my Lady Mayoress.

=CfC=BlueDog

=CfC=BlueDog

I'm still shaking after Woof's story.

Back to settings.

ATM I'm using 40 pitch, 40 roll, no centre or edge dead zones (in-game slider settings).   In CH Control Manager I've reduced X and Y axes sensitivities to 90.   Far from ideal, but usable. 

CFC_Conky

Quote from: =CfC=BlueDog on December 30, 2014, 05:07:45 AM
I'm still shaking after Woof's story.

Back to settings.

ATM I'm using 40 pitch, 40 roll, no centre or edge dead zones (in-game slider settings).   In CH Control Manager I've reduced X and Y axes sensitivities to 90.   Far from ideal, but usable. 

Hi Bluey,

Dragging this thread up from the depths but I use a setting of 80 for my x/y axii and for me it works well enough although sometimes I run out of elevator authority when dogfighting and have to use a lot of trim to get the nose around.

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC=BlueDog

Thanks for thinking of me, Conky.

Haven't flown any sim for some time - but I think my sensitivity setting of 90 is good for me.

You 80, me 90.   Simply means I'm a more sensitive guy. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Of course Woof''s sensitivity level would be (at least) 100%. ;D

=CfC=Woof

You have to be sensitive to wear purple pumps.   :-*

CFC_Conky

Dragging this corpse of a thread back from the netherworld  :o

I was trying to fly the 109F-2 and was getting my ass handed to me by P-40's, which should not happen. The controls felt very twitchy so I reduced the response on my CH stick to 65/100 for the X and Y axii. Didn't really help with F2 but the G2 now feels much more stable and now I can actually hit things. With the guns, not the whole aircraft  ;).

If you have Battle of Moscow, you may find the F2 to be quite a disappointment vs the version we have in IL2: 1946. It bleeds energy like mad when turning and feels far less stable than the F4 & G2, at least to me, and that's saying quite a lot since conventional wisdom on the forums regarding the 109's in this sim is that they are very twitchy, particularly the F4

Pip, pip,
Conky