Morris Dancing and how it won the BoB

Started by Badgerton Smedly, April 01, 2011, 01:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badgerton Smedly

Badgerton Smedly

Blue Dog, the Badger family thought of you on the 23rd (St Georges Day) because, what heroic babe-magnets were performing in my local town's High Street? 'The Mayflower Morris Men' in their glorious badger-colour-coordinated costume!! BRAVO!!!

http://www.mayflowermorris.com/

They're out there again tomorrow for the Royal Snugglies, so I'll try to get some film....

"Cross Sticks!"

Badger

John Cartwright

I actually did a Morris course back in 1975 when I first moved down here from That Lunnun.....
Bloody hard work, and more complex than first thought.
Didn't continue with the Side though as I couldn't keep up with the drinking as I found out to my cost at my first venturing during the Bromyard Folk Festival. The Side I was with blacked up. Not sure of the origin of this as is lost in the mists of time. Some folks think this was due to the fact that Morris Dancing was originally called Moorish Dancing, or that it preserved anonimity during Puritan times when dancing was banned by Parliament.
True facts; look here if you doubt me :)
http://www.silurianmorris.org.uk/
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

=CfC=BlueDog

Brilliant stuff, Badger; and even more brilliant BalDaddy.  Gentlemen, we are privileged indeed to have a trained MD amongst us!  Perhaps BD1 would like to take over instruction of the compulsory Wednesday evening Morris Dancing classes; thereby leaving me free to concentrate on this year's cheese rolling competition.

The fact that Matron is showing interest in the MD sessions has in no way influenced my offer to hand over my instructional duties.

Oh, and by the way, BD1, we have been concentrating on 'freestyle' MD lately.

Over and out, 

BD

=CfC=BlueDog

Ah, Badger, thanks for the opportunity to explain how Morris Dancing was instrumental in winning the Battle of Britain.   I thought that would be obvious, however, I shall use a series of pictures to explain.

Note the finely poised attitude of the RAF (or allied) pilot.   Undercarriage spaced perfectly providing  correct centre of gravity positioning for static and dynamic stability.   Mobility assisted by constant fluid movements of wings above head.   Streamlined physique and clean clothing enhances speed, range and endurance.   Double clean kerchiefs provide redundancy.   Note the cross- bracing holding up the trous - true geodetic construction for strength without weight.

And here is the Luftwaffe pilot.   Balance is poor:   note the constant wing down attitude - poor trimming and incorrect use of rudder.   Clumsy actions combined with poor static stability lead to pilot induced oscillations.   Rough clothing increases drag.   No protection around the hubcaps.   Combination of vertical and horizontal trouser bracing leads to fatigue induced failures.   The inconvenience of fly buttons can result in fuel tank leakage in the event of an emergency.  No kerchiefs available, requiring wiping of nasal nacelles on top surface of wings.   Note also the presence of a "stein"; meaning that the Luftwaffe pilot is always at least half drunk, whereas his RAF equivalent is occasionally better than half sober.

And the Luftwaffe pilot has significant distractions that take the edge off his concentration:

Formation flying:

Note the precision of the RAF pilots as they wend their way to battle.   Cross cover is always provided.

And here the Luftwaffe "Rotte" pairs formation.   Note #2 is well out of position:  "You are going ze wrong way, Fritz".

Oh dear!

Equipment:

Here we see the RAF pilots in the camouflage "ghillie" flying suits.   Essential kit on the off chance that he needs to bail; and finds himself in enemy territory of  primary terrain colours of white, teal and purple.

Here are the Luftwaffe night-fighter pilots. Note the poor lighting equipment.

To be fair though, we do have a common fearsome adversity:

Our Matron

Their Matron

=CfC=Woof

I'v got deja vue all over me...

Badgerton Smedly

That as an excellent post Bluey!!!!!  ;D ;D :D :D

Woof, unfortunately his line died out so we will never know.  His hobby made him totally resistable to women I'm afraid....  :(

But, that's not stopping Bluey!!  Bluey do I detect a frustrated Morris Dancer Down-Under!!?? (That wasn't a euphemism!)  Will we be seeing on the UK news that a retired airforce chap has started up a troop of yellow and green bell jingling heroes in the region of NSW???  The signs are there!!  Bravo!  :)

Tell us your plans!!

Badger

John Cartwright

Jolly good show Bluey old chap....glad to see our ex-dominions maintaining some standards. I will gladly take up the cudgel for Wednesday and start with a couple of simple manouvres; 'The Skegness Caper' and the 'Heckmondwyke Knee'
Stick dances we will leave until later....I used to practice Kendo and get somewhat carried away in the 'Shepherd's Hay'
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: Badgerton Smedly on April 29, 2011, 06:42:35 PM
Will we be seeing on the UK news that a retired airforce chap has started up a troop of yellow and green bell jingling heroes in the region of NSW???  The signs are there!!  Bravo!

And they will inevitably be better than ours, in the long tradition of Britain exporting its pastimes overseas...