The Campaign is quite good, but there are general stability issues

Started by Badgerton Smedly, November 02, 2014, 09:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badgerton Smedly

Tally Ho Gents!

I'm having a bash at the campaign and I'm quite enjoying it.  It's not really clear how/when the extra progression point in each campaign stage work, but who knows the twists and turns of war eh?

There are some general stability issues, where the game just freezes; the sound continues and I can hear the action continuing, but the screen has frozen.  According to windows, the game has stopped responding too. I've experienced this about 4 times over 2 days now, so it's a bit off putting.  Hopefully they'll get it the stability issues sorted out soon.

I have to admit that I've had the game interface up during a lot of the mission, because it's a barren featureless landscape out there and I'm a little rusty so need the compass and GPS.  The early Russian kites aren't over furnished with modern '40's kit either.  Well, that's my excuse!  ;)

Let me know what you think (for those with it of course!)

Poot-poot!

Badger

=CfC=Father Ted

Had a bit of a thrash at it this afternoon - I too quite enjoyed it.  The whole drama about the unlocks is way out of proportion to the reality.  It's basically like any number of videogames - you progress and get better/different weapons.  The criteria for success are pretty easy - on one intercept mission I got a bit lost and my wingmen did the job for me.  Not much fun, but I got my "XP".  So far my only quibble is that if you decide to land and don't nail it you lose points compared to if you just "end mission" at the last waypoint.  And landing is a challenge in this sim. Do your normal IL2 approach and you will bounce 20 feet in the air.

Badgerton Smedly

It certainly is different, but I'm enjoying it.

With regards to unlocks, I'm about 80% into the second campaign stage and I've got the basic winter skins and weapon unlocks I need (for the AC I fly). Once I have the 132 rockets for the Il2 I'll be happy enough.

I can't seem to get a smooth landing at the moment, but I've stopped wrecking the AC which is something.

Did you play in expert mode Ted?

Badger

=CfC=Father Ted

I started in amateur (or whatever it's called) for the first few, but turned on the CEM.  I've done one mission on expert.  At first I was thinking, "I don't need all this help", but actually I found it a good way to ease into it.  Things like noting which dials corresponded to which figure on the HUD, and what the units are.  Also I doubt I would have ever spotted the trucks I was supposed to shoot up without an icon.

It's made it a more realxed, pleasurable experience (supposed to fun after all), rather than being all macho about it and experiencing many more irritating WTF moments.

All in all I'm enjoying the prospect of re-learning to fly (to a certain extent) and treating the campaign/unlocks as QMB but with some incentive.

=CfC=BlueDog

QuoteIt's made it a more realxed, pleasurable experience (supposed to fun after all), rather than being all macho about it and experiencing many more irritating WTF moments.

Oh dear, Ted, next you'll be following 20/20 cricket! ;D :o ;D

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: =CfC=BlueDog on November 09, 2014, 10:54:35 PM
QuoteIt's made it a more realxed, pleasurable experience (supposed to fun after all), rather than being all macho about it and experiencing many more irritating WTF moments.

Oh dear, Ted, next you'll be following 20/20 cricket! ;D :o ;D

Ha! Pretty good analogy for the attitudes about CFSs actually Bluey.  People seem to to be aghast that 1C/777 have gone for the pyjamas and dancing girls in the hope of attracting a bigger audience. The game's still essentially the same underneath the fripperies.

OT - I'm really excited that I've managed to get tickets for an Ashes match next year.  They're like gold dust here - which goes to show that there's life in Test cricket yet