Video cards

Started by CFC_Conky, December 26, 2011, 07:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFC_Conky

Hello Chaps,

I've been looking at video cards recently, mulling over an upgrade from my GTS250 (which runs IL@ just fine btw). The prices of the GTX560's are coming down nicely. The GTX550 series of cards are getting very reasonable, cheaper even than a GTX460.

Is the GTX550 considered a dud of a card?

Is anyone running something in the GTX560 class and if so, can you tell me if it will run RoF and or CoD at reasonable frame rates?

Or should I just wait until I upgrade my cpu since my mb will take a quad-core chip (I'm currently running an Intel dual-core E8500 cpu.

Thanks!
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Bounder

Don't know enough about it Conky.....but I'm in a similar position with a socket 775 MB and an E8400 running a GTX460.

I'm going to carry on for another year with this MB and upgrade to Windows 7 with extra RAM then get a new MB (IE or similar) in twelve months with a new generation CPU.

I think all the new sims are very CPU intensive from what I have read, but I'm not sure that getting an old style quad-core CPU for a 775 socket MB is the right way to go. Advance in chip-sets etc. will surely produce a bottleneck if you go for a super video card on an old MB and CPU.

The IE5 and MB deals are pretty good at the moment.....but buying one of these will place your video card on the backfoot.....they win all the time!

No help at all am I?

Bounder ::)

CFC_Conky

Hi Bounder,

Yeah, I've pretty much come to the same conclusion, my system is fairly well balanced right now. If I can get a GTX460 for a good price, i.e. under a hundred bucks, I might go for that, but it looks like I'll have to get a completely new system for the next generation of sims.

Now I just have to get Mrs Conky on side.... :D

Pip, pip,
Conky

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.